Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Mistaken for cancer

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Universalis & Totalis' started by sg514, Jan 28, 2015.

1. sg514

sg514 Guest

My Alopecia Areata turned to Alopecia Universalis last year due to hormone changes when I had my daughter. Luckily, I ended up getting to stay home with her because just the idea of wearing a wig 40 hours a week makes my head itch. I have 2 wigs that I wear when I go out, but I don't always feel like going to the effort of drawing on eyebrows and everything else just to go to the store, so sometimes I jus wear a cap and hope that nobody says anything. I have on 2 occasions had cancer patients talk to me about chemo and health issues as if they know that I have cancer too. I mean, I can't really blame them. There's not a lot of awareness about alopecia and when you see a bald woman it is perfectly understandable to assume cancer, but I'm not sure how I should react. Getting into a long conversation with a cancer patient about how my condition isn't as bad as theirs seems like it would be awkward, but my solution (smiling and nodding) felt wrong. Has anyone else had to deal with this? What did you do?

2. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have not dealt with it as I haven't shaved my head or lost everything (I have Androgenetic Alopecia), but I guess you can just say you have alopecia. Nothing to be ashamed of!

3. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have had that on numerous occasions, I just say I dont have cancer but an autoimmune issue called alopecia and compliment them on their hat/ headcover and I am sorry they are having to go through the treatment but I wish them all the best. Sometimes the conversation ends there other times they have asked where I get my headcovers from.

4. WalkingWoman

WalkingWoman New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing

Yes, I've had this happen many times. And I usually say that I am healthy, but have no hair. If asked I explain that it is autoimmune, and alopecia. I did get my eyebrows tattooed and it was a great investment. No regrets there. Mostly I wear scarves and hats, but have wigs for "state occasions." This doesn't seem to be such a problem for men who can go bald and it is accepted, but for women and children the assumption is cancer.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I've had this happen many times. And I usually say that I am healthy, but have no hair. If asked I explain that it is autoimmune, and alopecia. I did get my eyebrows tattoed and it was a great investment. No regrets there. Mostly I wear scarves and hats, but have wigs for "state occasions." This doesn't seem to be such a problem for men who can go bald and it is accepted, but for women and children the assumption is cancer.

#4 WalkingWoman, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  5. ChelseaLee

ChelseaLee Guest

Educational brochure?

Hi guys! I'm new here and wanted to chime in. I know this is an old thread!

I almost prefer if someone comes up and asks me questions -- the quick "I'll pray for you" is hard to respond to. I've had people give me notes and books about healing. The worst was when a gentleman in the grocery store told me the whole story of his daughter's cancer and death. I felt terrible for him, and had no idea what to say except that I was sorry for his loss.

One of my friends suggested I make a funny and short little brochure that I can just hand out to people with a lighthearted explanation of Alopecia Universalis. Then there would be no need for explanation, the brochure would say it all. I plan to do this, so when I do, I'll share it with you -- just need to find the time with a full time job and taking care of my three boys!

I live in Florida and it is so hot in the summertime, I can't imagine wearing a wig all the time, so I often opt to just go out with eyebrows and eyelashes on, no wig.

Speaking of eyebrows, have any of you tried the temporary tattoos? Some of them are a little scary looking, but I've found a couple of styles that I love and it really saves time.

I get them from this site: http://www.beauti-full-brows.com