Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

"moldy" scalp?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by ginawat, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

OK - I know this sounds gross...well, welcome to my world!

I want to stress that I am a VERY clean person...I shower every day...wash my hair daily, etc. Yet along with my hairloss I also have a bad scalp condition and nothing I do seems to help. The best way to explain it is by saying it gets "moldy" - even right after it is washed it can get the moldy/yeast odor. Does anyone get this? Today I was runnung errands and when I was driving I flipped my head around to look behind me while backing out of a parking spot...and I could smell my hair and it was almost like smelling a moldy towel. How can this be?!? I know it relates to my hairloss because I don't recall having this before now.

My scalp is also itchy, burns, hurts...is oily by days end and flakes in places. God, I'm a mess.

I am getting a biopsy on 5/12 - but I was curious who else has had or has this condition along with their hair loss?

2. Merry

Merry Guest

Gina ~ Are you sure you don't have tinea capitis. It is a scalp infection caused by a fungus and there can be a ordor associated with it too. Scrapings and scalp biopsy would determine this.

3. ginawat

ginawat Guest

I don't know --it seems everytime I have gone to the derm they look (quickly) and tell me I have seborrheic derm...then they dismiss me..before doing so they tell me the SD should not be a contributing factor of my hair loss.

It MUST be because I seem to be the ONLY one w/this happening - that coincides with the hair loss.

CarolinaDR likes this.
  4. ginawat

ginawat Guest

SO FAR:

32 people viewed this post and no one has this scalp thing but me?

UGH.

5. agasucks ;p

agasucks ;p Guest

no i havent... nor have i heard of it before - BUT...maybe thats a good thing...maybe this is wht is the underlying reason for your hair loss. figure this out and maybe youre scott free :)

6. alicat

alicat Guest

that would be so nice for her!!

7. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gina,

I've heard girls say they have the burning scalp but I don't recall them talking about odour. I do hope that your scalp biopsy gives you some answers.

Hugs,
    Joann

8. cookielady

cookielady Guest

Haven't had that, but what about using Nizoral?

9. Merry

Merry Guest

Gina ~ I still would not rule out the severe sebderm you have. It can cause some hairloss too. I know that it can be VERY persistent, lasting for many years and some doctor treat it with Coal Tar. What have you been using? Doesn't seb derm feed off of yeast too?

M

10. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina

I am sorry no one has this to relate to

But when you get your biopsy, YOU be in control, k??? DO not let the Dr. Run the conversation or dismiss your concerns! Remind him that he is providing a service to you and you need ALL your questions answered.

11. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Gina,

Good luck on your biopsy!

HA

12. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Thanks everyone! My biopsy is on 5/12....then its a 2-week wait for the results. I just think I should be able to rule out simple things like tinea cap (ringworm) before then...right? Can't my PCP even do that? I feel like going to the emergency room.

My scalp is CONSTANTLY itchy...and irritated. The odor is like a mildewed towel. This has to be a fungus...right? TRhe more I read te more I get confused.

I can't imagine losig THIS much hair with ringworm though.

Anyway, I have got to get some answers before the biopsy even...I can't wait until the end of May to start treating something that I could be treating now.

13. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

How are you gonna get some answers? I know you have already been to a ton of Dr's.... :(

Ringworm would have a pattern to it....it shouldnt be diffuse, ya know what I mean?

Ringworm . Ringworm has nothing to do with worms, it is actually a fungal infection. Ringworm is first and foremost an infectious skin condition and can occur anywhere on the body, but if it develops on the scalp it can cause patches of hair loss.

Maybe it is a fungus that Drs have not seen before...

14. ginawat

ginawat Guest

How am I gonna get some answers? Well, that is simple apparently. A simple skin scraping can determine tinea cap. I was simply saying that I felt I should able to get that ruled out before my 5/12 biopsy since it is a simple procedure. Why wait if I don't have to? And BH - it can cause diffuse hairloss...infact my hairloss is prevalent in the areas where I have irritation, oil, itch, and pain. The odor alone lets me know I have some sort of fungus - there really is no question there. Sure, I may have Androgenetic Alopecia or diffuse Alopecia Areata on TOP of that - but I am certain I also have some sort of scalp infection going on.

I was merely stating that I wanted to get that addressed BEFORE my 5/12 biopsy (not instead of)

Thanks
    G

15. Merry

Merry Guest

Good Gina ~ I agree, you just might have multiple problems......sorry to say. You know the last time I was at my Derm's office because I started to get some weird patches of skin on my neck, chest and thigh. He scraped some skin and looked at in under the microscope to determine if it was any kind of fungus. It wasn't.

Any information you can get is good.

Take care,
    Merry

16. have you tried shaving your head, and then using healing products on your smooth bald scalp? that might improve your scalp. your scalp might needed to be healed. getting rid of all of your head hair might give you a chance to completely sooth and help your damaged scalp. you want to have beautiful smooth skin on your scalp.
    that is one of the things i love best about my smooth hairless bald scalp, the skin on my head is in such good shape, and it is so beautiful.

if you like the bald look you can keep wearing it, or if your scalp improves, you can see how your hair grows again.

you can wear gentle fabrics of headscarves over your bald look if you want to. fabrics that won't hurt or have an irritant effect on your scalp while it heals.

17. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Rule out everything you possibly can. That'll make this appointment really worth-while.

18. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I see now Gina :mrgreen:
    I was just wondering cuz I know you have pretty much done everything to find to what you have. And I didnt know what you could do prior to the biopsy to rule out anything else.

Good luck! :)

19. SoLow

SoLow Guest

Gina,
    I had this a couple of years ago when I went through my first round of hairloss. If you scratch your scalp you will probably see a lot of gunk under your fingernail. I had the burning, itching, etc that you have. I started my medication to decrease my testosterone and it got rid of all that.

Of course, I have started losing hair again. And the painful scalp has started again. But I don't think the odor has started again.

20. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Hey G - I know we've discussed this but to anyone reading this might be helpful info.

Tinea Capitis has several presentations and one can be diffuse hair loss, its stubborn and can go on indefinitly unless treated orally. My son just got over a bout of ringworm to the body and it required systemic drugs because it continued to persist, go away then return. Fungal infections are rotten little SOB's and far more stubborn then bacterial infections. My hubby had one condition Tinea Versicolor a skin fungus he got from college he got drunk and passed out on this dirty old carpet and picked up this skin fungus that persisted for 8 years until he got on diflucan - nothing would kill it.

Anyhow G your not alone - I get the stinky scalp too also like solow and some days its ok, some days I get a wiff of sour odor and I know your clean because I am a neat freak clean freak I wash the hair twice - eat healthy etc. I am totally confident there is some fungal issues

Please keep us all posted on your biopsy - we are all rooting for you!

I had the extreme pleasure of talking with Gina and she is really such a sweetheart - I feel so fortunate to have had the ability to speak with ladies suffering from the scalp pain and other strange symptoms.