Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Month 5 minoxidil, pics, top of head still worsening - Does hairline get better 1st?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hoping4best, Dec 13, 2016.

1. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    dec-2016-1.jpg - Today (December 2016), 4.5 months into minoxidil treatment

FullSizeRender (1).jpg - July 2016 - started minoxidil
    part_6-6-2016.jpg - June 2016, before minoxidil

I've been applying it to my part/crown, temples, and front bangs area. I see some possible improvement on my temples and bang area. I think my crown/part has gotten much worse, not better. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My docs all say I'm not a candidate for Spironolactone.

I don't feel ready to try a topper. I'll continue covering with headbands and scarves for a while, I guess. :(

Question: did anyone who's had success with minoxidil have areas that responded more quickly than others?

2. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

In my experience and journey with minoxidil it gets a lot worse before it gets better!! When I started it back in June 2016 my hairline (top center about an inch wide) was thin and just behind it I had a thinning area (could see my scalp). By month six on rogaine the part widen a little towards the front and my hair was thinner on top. Something I called and looked like jacked up hair!! LOL It wouldn't lay right and in places where I had more hair well they would push forward in a weird way. Its hard to explain but I wasn't happy and I was scared for sure. But I kept telling myself its going to get bad before it gets better and knew I was giving myself a year before I quit because that's what my derm told me to do and everything I have read (which is a lot! I know way more about hair then I ever did before) states that also. I didn't have a lot of hair loss when I started treatment, according to the hair loss scales and my derm, but believe me it was a lot to me. I always had very very thick hair and I still do really. But I definitely loss more when I started rogaine and went through the shedding process. I have never shed a lot though. Your hair will go through some awkward periods because of the sheds and your own hairs growth cycles. I remember freaking out between months 5-10 because some days I would be like yes its working great and then literally the next day thinking no its not working. It was and is a rollercoaster. But by month 10-12 I really started seeing and thinking yes it is getting better and I think that it has improved every month since then. It will be 18 months on the 25th of this month. Has it all came back no but I'm still hopeful most of it will. If it doesn't and I keep what I got I can manage it with just a little concealer. I know that I am using less concealer everyday so I can kind of gauge it by that too. You wouldn't really even know I have hairloss. My family thinks I'm crazy and pretend they don't see it and no one has ever said anything to me, but I was always able to keep it well hidden with concealer. But I thinks its because I started treatment within two weeks of noticing it and my derm said it was mild like at 5%. The loss went higher when I started treatment for sure. Remember the hairs you are losing you were going to lose anyway rogaine is just pushing them out quicker. So I don't really know what percentage of loss I ended up with or how much I have gained back. But my hair is looking good and I feel better about it everyday. My hope is it will continue to get better and maintain it for years!!

I responded to you because from your pics, your hair before rogaine looks mild really and after treatment it looks like it has been shedding a little more. Your not doing anything wrong with how you are applying it. Are you applying it once or twice a day? I have always done it twice a day. I am also on finesteride not Spironolactone. My derm says it really doesn't work that well, but I don't know. I am also 52 right in the middle of menopause. You are only on month 5 and that's normal, hang in there for at least a year to know if its working for you r not. It will be hard I know but what other options do we really have, we r at its mercy. Something I use that has been a wonderful wonderful concealer that's not ever mention on here is Batiste dry shampoo with a hint of burnette color in it. And it has worked magically for me and its so easy as a spray. It comes in other hair colors too. Keep applying and hang in there. :)

3. hoping4best

Dislikes Received:
    Hi psunday, thank you so much for your kind encouragement. I was hoping that someone would have had the experience of things getting worse before they got better. It sounds like we are very similar. I'm 10 years younger, but I went through menopause unexpectedly early, and that triggered my loss. The scalp pathologist I saw said it was mild FPHL, and that I should get on minoxidil now. So I did. 1x/day, 5% (this is what she prescribed). Sometimes foam, sometimes melted foam, sometimes liquid (but the liquid causes itching), and I always massage it in.

A couple questions: you said: "I am also on finesteride not Spironolactone. My derm says it really doesn't work that well, but I don't know."
    Do you mean that your derm doesn't think finesteride works well, or minoxidil? I haven't looked into finesteride yet, and nobody's suggested it to me. A couple derms and endocrinologists suggested Spironolactone to me, but then looked at my blood work and saw that I have very low androgens, and then said they didn't think it'd be wise for me to try Spironolactone, because they didn't think it'd be wise for the rest of my non-hair health to lower my androgens any more. The scalp pathologist thought that minoxidil alone would be perfect for me, but obviously I feel pretty freaked out at the moment. My overall volume is down 50-60% from days of yore. I don't need all that hair back!

When you said "Has it all came back no but I'm still hopeful most of it will," did you mean that it hasn't all come back from before your hair loss? Or do you mean that you haven't yet gained back the extra you lost in the beginning of minoxidil treatment?

I am ordering some Great Hair Day on the recs of some people here, and will look into Batiste dry shampoo, too. Thank you!

I am going to do my best to stick with it at least a year, and to share my progress here, so that if things do get better, others here will know that it can sometimes take a while. I hope to be able to tell a story like yours!

4. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about not getting back to you until now hoping4best. The holidays were crazy busy and I wasn't able to get on here much. Ok to answer your questions :) "I am also on finesteride not Spironolactone. My derm says it really doesn't work that well, but I don't know."
    My derm said Spironolactone usually doesn't work very well and that finesteride works in women in menopause much better. She told me that using minoxidil 5% twice and day and taking 2.5 mg (pill) of finesteride a day works about 85% of the time.

"Has it all came back no but I'm still hopeful most of it will," did you mean that it hasn't all come back from before your hair loss? Or do you mean that you haven't yet gained back the extra you lost in the beginning of minoxidil treatment?
    This is a tricky question because for me - I believe I was losing hair for years at a slow rate (probably started in perimenopause like around 2010) and I didn't notice it until one morning on June 8, 2015 I looked in the mirror and I could see my scalp through my hairline. Signs were there that it was happening about 8 months before that but I didn't catch on to it at that time cause my hair still looked fine just texture changes etc. But also at the time I had been bleaching it blonde for years (natural burnette), swimming everyday in chlorine, and then in march of 2015 I got a perm. So me and my hairdresser just thought it was the physical things I was doing to it that cause the dryness, etc. Three months after the perm is when I first noticed it. So no it hasn't all came back from before my hairloss but I do think most of it has came back from when I first noticed my hair loss. Does that make sense? I always had very thick hair (which is why it probably took me awhile to notice the loss) and my hair is still very thick really its just thinner at the front mid center hair line for about an inch wide and about an inch back. When I part it down the middle think of the Christmas tree pattern but its a small tree (hopefully it will stay small). Yes I do believe I have gained most all of it back that I lost during my first year on minoxidil. My hair is a little thinner on top overall than it use to be before all of this hair loss but my scalp is covered. I do have a part now that I never had before though. Before my hair was so thick I never had a natural part my whole life. Before when I did part it, I didn't really see my scalp, now when I part it you can see the scalp a little more. Its not really wide though and it still looks natural enough for me. My thin area in the hairline is my thinnest area. Which is how it was when I first noticed my hairloss. My derm (I see her every 6 months now) says it looks better and better and that with my treatment it will only get better and better. She says it doesn't quit working as long as I am staying on the treatment. My hair does seem to get better every month so far, I'm just hoping and praying it keeps working!! Are you confused now, lol, I am.

I want to add besides all of the physical things I was doing to my hair (which I stopped all of them) at the time and going into full blown menopause they also found through my bloodwork - low vitamin D was at 18 (now its at 55), basically no estrogen, my testosterone was at 13, no elevated androgens. and low thyroid (dr said it was working at 35% needed to be working at 75%. So now my daily regime is minoxidil twice a day, 2.5 mg finesteride a day, nature throid 65mg a day, 1 pump estrogel a day, progesterone 100 mg a day, estrace vaginal cream twice a week, and I went back on metformin 500 mg a day because I have been pre-diabetic since perimenopause somehow. I don't have PCOS but I know they give that to patients for it so I thought if there is a connection then it can only help me. I also take vitamin ADK, fish oil, biotin, cinnamon, saw palmento, evening primrose, and iron. I also use revita shampoo and conditioner which helps with hair fall.

I hope this helps!! and sorry for the late late response!! Hope things are getting better for you!

5. hoping4best

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a ton psunday. I've got an endocrinologist appointment and a scalp pathologist appointment in the next week or so, and I plan to report in soon.

I take iron and D3 and omegas & my blood work is all good but for my hormones. I've been struggling with HRT and every time I adjust it, I get more shedding. I had to take 3 weeks off of HRT to do some blood work (shedding), and I'll be going back on something (hopefully one that makes me less miserable, but that will also cause more shedding). I'm starting to wonder if the hormone roller coaster TEs are just making it hard for me to tell minoxidil is working. I'm going to let the hair doctor check it next week before I say for sure. I am starting to think my hair is improving, but I'm not positive. Here's hoping.

Oh... I love Great Hair Day!