Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

More Success

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by MEvsHAIR, Jun 26, 2017.

1. MEvsHAIR

MEvsHAIR New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    It's been a long time since I've posted, mostly because I've been so happy with my regrowth these days. :jump:I know success stories really help, so while I was just in the shower, I thought to myself- I really need to update folks on the board! To recap, I am a mid-30s case of biopsy-confirmed Androgenetic Alopecia (also a thin PCOSer). Began noticing thinning in late 2014. First biopsy came back as Seborrheic Dermatitis. Dr. treated that with Keto shampoo (still use). Hair loss continued. 2nd biopsy showed Androgenetic Alopecia. Went on Spironolactone/finasteride.

I've been on my meds/hair routine for a little over a year now. I couldn't be happier, y'all. Here's what I take: 200mg Spironolactone, 5mg Finasteride, 1000mg Metformin, Yaz, Ketoconazole-based shampoo 4x/wk and 5% Rogaine foam 2x day. Sounds like a lot, and it is a bit of a pain, but it's well worth it for me personally. I have had definite regrowth, and I wear my hair down every single day with no concealers...and I don't think twice. I don't feel like anyone notices anything at all. I've also started having my hair highlighted, which adds a little volume, as well. I keep it cut in a bob, above my shoulders, and this adds the appearance of volume, too. But this really isn't necessary- the meds are!

I know that several people on this site have said meds didn't work for them. Maybe it really didn't- I don't dispute that. But please keep in mind that it takes quite a bit of time for REAL progress to become visible. You WILL still go through periods where you feel you're shedding too much. That is always scary. But, you'll start to notice that you're appearance isn't suffering. You're still making progress. If you stick with it, you will have a NET GAIN in hair (these were my derm's exact words when I was worried). I really couldn't be happier with how my hair looks at this point. Just hoping it continues.

You can find other posts of my progress on this site if you want to follow/catch-up.
    Best of luck, ladies!

Jayne01 and mcat11 like this.
  2. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I can't tell you how damn happy I am to see TWO success stories posted in 1 day (other one is mine that I just posted). I completely agree that it takes quite a bit of time for real progress. Took me about a year. Only reason I kept going was because I brought a lot of the product from the States in 1 go. So glad to have stuck with it. Thanks so much for sharing! And good luck and hope you achieve even greater success!

3. MEvsHAIR

MEvsHAIR New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great news! I'll have to go check out your post. :mrgreen:The relief from the emotional turmoil that comes with all of this is worth every pill and minoxidil application.

4. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    thats awesome..
    I want to ask you something a bit personal but how is you libido on on the anti androgen meds?

I am considering the Yaz type BCP and Spironolactone but I would love my Dr to also give me finasteride (I'm 45 still fertile but no interests in having children at my age) did your Dr give you hard time giving you finasteride?
    I am going to try a topical finasteride from my Dr.
    I am wondering if i can talk him into oral finasteride as well eventually.

Did you ad that med a little at a time?

Also thinking to do minoxidil 2x a day. I do it 1x currently.

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think age has a lot yo do with success for Androgenetic Alopecia - the older you are the more elusive success becomes.

6. MEvsHAIR

MEvsHAIR New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! I won't be having more children, so there were no worries there w/ regard to any of the meds. I started finasteride at the same time as the Spironolactone.

Libido...Maybe not what it once was, but still good!

Best of luck to you!

mcat11 likes this.
  7. MEvsHAIR

MEvsHAIR New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for encouraging feedback.

mcat11 likes this.
  8. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    its not so much older it is how long you have Androgenetic Alopecia

the follicle fibroses so it becomes scar tissue after many years of inactivity.

So if you do a biopsy a lot of advance Androgenetic Alopecia can mimic scarring alopecia due to the fibrosis

this is stuff the Doctors don't tell women and they should.

thats why when it starts do what you can to keep the follicle active.

9. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    My libido is pretty high--so if it goes down a little its not a 'bad' thing well not great but its okay lol

How do you feel taking the low-androgen BCP? were you nervous? My Endo terrified me and i kind of resent her for it lol.

10. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Any side effects from the medications?

11. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My biopsy showed early scaring process/fibrosis. After I did my own research I was so upset my dermatologist didn't even acknowledge that part.

I randomly received a free dermaroller last week. People keep mentioning it. Does it have an effect on the follicle fibrosis aspect?

mcat11 likes this.
  12. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    that is a good question and I do not 'think' so.

There are some people who debate it is a kind of neogenisis (which is creating new follicle from 'wounding') but I think the way the Indian study was done that I read and will be mimicking its not really for neogenisi/wounding to create new follicle but to make the absorption of topicals used rest of the week better absorbed.

That is my limited opinion at least you can google this and research it on your own because many men on other forum believe differently, ...just be careful because real 'wounding' is like they make themselves a bloody mess (therefore very open to infections and should NOT be done at home it crosses into self mutliation if not careful)==that is NOT what I am going to be doing, I am just going to make the skin 'pink' or red not 'bleed' so minoxidil can be better absorbed rest of the week.

Dr Costarellis wrote about neogensis and wounding and I think perhaps people conflated the Indian study for derma rolling WITH Costarellises research for wounding/neogensis.

Follica (if it ever comes out in our life time lol) is going to be 'wounding' at the dermatologist office and the patient will then follow up at home care with topicals (one of two most likely minoxodi--I am not sure what the second one is they have a patent for something)

I think if you have scarring alopecia only hope will be neogenisis that will be Follica OR replicel perhaps I think replicel is working on creating new follicles (not 100% sure) but you may have to go to japan to get this done when it finally is available no idea the time line for USA.
    Follica research is located in Pennsylvania which is good for us in US.

sleepywaif likes this.
  13. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry just to be clear TRUE neogenesis and wounding (which should be done by a Doctor when procedure is perfected) theoretically creates NEW follicles which if you have scarring alopecia is what you need new follicles. To stop the follicles you still have that DONT have scarring I would use minoxidil and anti DHT meds to keep what you have going....and follow when this will be available http://www.follicabio.com
    I would not give up on your bio hair if you still have some just in case this folic or even replicel works out for creating new follicles. http://replicel.com/product-pipeline/rch-01-hair-regeneration/
    Of course this depends how far along your hair loss is and how upsetting it is for you to do medications and 'wait' for research to be available this is your own personal opinion.

14. Mary816

Mary816 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you gain weight on the finasteride? I tried taking it but gained 9 pounds in under 2 months so I discontinued.