Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

More thoughts on extensions.

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by tbacchi, Sep 13, 2005.

1. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Ladies,
    I know that we are our own worst critics. And I am extremely paranoid that someone will see or feel my extension attachments in my hair. But today, as I am walking along 5th Avenue in NYC I see a girl with really long hair. I don't know what possessed me to get pretty close to her to look at her hair. Sure enough, I can see her attachments in the back of her head. I truly believe that some people are lucky enough not to care what other people think. I wish I could be the same way.
    T.

2. redclaire

redclaire Guest

You and me both. A couple of weekends ago I met a woman who had major thinning going on and she just rubbed her head and said " yup, it's all coming out, I'm getting up there". Oh, she was my hero! I want to be so care-free about it all. And here I am, putting my hair in a pony tail so I won't focus on it, and I had ten times the hair she did.
    The issue came up because my best friend said to me as we were sitting there " are you counting again?" ( I was).
    As far as extensions. They are so popular now. I mean, movie stars go back and forth all the time. I think they're just another hair accesory to some people.

3. colline

colline Guest

the others

once you do extensions do or can you go back to being baldy again? I just ask as i am apprehensive if i could take the humiliation of suddenly going out with lots of hair then having decided i couldnt pay or whatever going back to having no extensions it would be like going through the whole hair fiasco all over again - but the confidence it would give would help me but what do i say to my friends?

4. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Honestly Colline, I personally don't think that extensions add that much volume to be that noticeable. It depends how many you have put in. I have 30 extensions that have been cut in half. Therefore, I only truly have 15 extensions. I think a stylist told Amy that extensions only add 10% of volume, or something like that. Amy??????

Of course you can take them out whenever you want.
    T.

5. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

I have to say I get a LOT of volumn from my extensions .. without them my hair is like flyaway paper hanging around my head .....

WHen I have them removed i feel physichally sick ...

6. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Sally,
    How many extensions do you have?
    T.

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me again how the extensions work--is fake hair glued to your real hair or to the scalp? And how can you take them out when you want to? Anybody have thoughts on hair weaving? Thanks!

8. krapiva

krapiva Guest

here's what the salon i have a consultation at promises:

Hair Extensions for women
    New Ultratress–A unique method of attachment puts Ultratress in a class of its own.
    - Easily add volume and lengthen your hair
    - No damage to your existing hair
    - Remove quickly and easily
    - Hair is melded, not tied on
    - Quicker to perform than standard hair extension process
    - Achieve almost any look you desire

9. agreed

Let me just say- I am now obsessed with getting hair extensions. I've been noticing lately ALOT of celebs with extensions...c'mon...Pam Anderson....even Eva Langoria looks like she has them....it is so common. And as for volume- I think it depends on what kind you get...if you add hair to the top of your head, wouldnt it make sense the hair would look fuller? There's more of it. I was scared last week with the post that said extensions weren't used for the top of the head. However, with some research, I realized there are MANY options out there. I am looking into a salon in northeastern PA that works with cyberhair. I am not keen on the links but either the extensions or the integration looks great!!! The pics are freaking amazing and not fake at all. Expensive but I applied for a credit card, heh...that is how desperate I am. Just my thoughts...

To the last poster...what salon is this? and how do they do they're extensions? Is there a website?

10. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Tbachi I have roughly 60-80 I am not sure all I know is last year at another salon she charged per extension and I had thirty at each temple adn ten at the back ....I assuming I have more in now because my hair has thinned

thing thats depressing me is the top is thinning now and I am worried about the next stage

11. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Here's url for the salon:

http://www.4valleyimage.com/

and unfortunately i don't know the details, since i have my first free consultation there on the 23rd of this month...i'll let you girls know afterwards...

12. Peony

Peony Guest

i wore extentions for a year and it cost me a fortune. more than a couple of kiki pieces, for sure...like, 500 bucks every 3 months. human hair, glued to my own. they added volume and definitely helped me hide my hair loss for a bit, but then discovered toppik and gave them up. they hurt--pulled at my hair, and they didn't cover up the thinning at the top of my head. didn't improve my part, in fact, maybe made it worse b/c they pulled together hairs that i needed for full coverage.

13. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I went thru an 'obsessed with extensions' period, too, and it's only fair to warn you that no matter what cosmetic option you go with, whether it be extensions, integration, a wig, etc., you must be realistic about the outcome. Many of the celebs that have hair extensions are adding length and/or volume rather than trying to cover thinning. My guess is that most stars with drastically thinning hair have wigs, toppers, bonded pieces, etc.

I had consults with several different salons that do several types of extensions and found that the ones that claim to be able to do them on top of your head still were not able to do so with clients whose hair was even moderately thin on top. The bonds WILL show if you do not have enough hair to cover them and that's just how it is. That was true for Great Lenghts & Cinderella Hair (glue bonded), Hairlocs and Eurolocs (metal beads that crimp onto your hair...they come in 3 sizes and even the micro minis are visible and fall out easily) and Cyberpoint Links (mini and macro extenstions). No extensions are truly invisible.

On the other hand, if you still have plenty of hair on top then extensions can work wonders. I truly do not want to burst your bubble, and I do encourage you to go and check out your options to see if any of them will work for you. Just be realistic, and go in with the attitude that it *might* work for you, rather than setting your heart on something that might not pan out. Have them put a few extensions in your hair on top of your head to test out how they feel and see if how they look.

I researched literally dozens of cosmetic options in depth for 2 years and while I do not claim to be any sort of authority on the subject I do have a wealth of information and experience to share with whoever needs or wants it. Let me know if I can answer any questions you have.

14. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    "the bonds WILL show if you do not have enough hair to cover them and that's just how it is."

How terribly sad and disappointing for me since that's where my hair loss is the greatest and of course most obvious. In fact, that's the case with female pattern hair loss generally I believe--diffuse but greatest on the top. Do you know anything about weaving--weaving extra hair onto the existing? Thanks.

15. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Different things work for different people. I am lucky that I have enough hair to hide the bonds, so extensions work for me. My experience with my salon, my stylist and Great Lengths have been nothing but positive.
    T.

16. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Sessa, i totally trust you...my thinning is on top..it's probably moderate...i can still part my hair in certain places on the day after i used volumizing shampoo...but i don't want to do anything to harm my natural hair...how bad is the glue? does it harm the scalp? can the hair underneath still grow? do i need to shave my hair to wear a wig...

for months i really thought i would escape having to go cosmetic route...but it looks like i won't be that lucky...at 30, with wedding in 8 months it scares me...i even begged my fiance to run and get married in Vegas...i simply can't see myself, on the most important day of my life...in front of his and mine family in a wig...not fair!!! *ok, i am still in denial*

i even asked if it would be ok with him, if i shaved my head completely and had no hair under the veil...he said 'please don't'...i think i could possibly pull off a totally shaved look...i am slender *at least at the moment*...

but some of the women on those wig sites look good...i would never tell...and your positive stories pick my curiousity up...so i definitely want to explore the possibilities...i am even thinking, that with a hair piece, counting the falling out hair will stop being a center of my existence...out of site, out of mind kinda thing...i just need to get used to the idea...

sorry, if i sound negative about cosmetic options...it's still quiet a shock...never i could even think in my worst dreams that at 30 i'll be shopping for a wig...but life is like that..and i have many other things and people to be thankful for...and may be it sounds bad for me, cuz i made it sound bad...i'd love to be proven wrong...

17. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Hey there ..

I am 31 same situation as you .... but I have a very close friend who used to be a member on here called Pumkin Pie ... she had traditinnoal female pattern due to a thyroid problem ... I met her as she was stepping into wearing a cosmetic option and I can tell you this girl was terrified ... she did it .. and now she admits she hasnt felt better...

I am at teh same stage as you in that yes I have extensions but the thinning is so rapid on the top I cant see how I can cover the glue for much longer. ..I mean for example today its very windy in London and I MUST wear my hair up or the glue is showing and I am so paranoid if anynoe looks at me if they can see it ... maybe I am being paranoid ... I dont know.

Chin up we will get there its an inspiration to talk to the girls on here and also Wig Support they sure help make this whole process easier.

Thank GOD for the internet

18. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Thanx Sally...it's just soo sad to realize that only 10% of women suffer hairloss before 40s, and we happen to be in those 10%...i am as paranoid as you're...i am afraid of the wind, afraid to go to meetings at work..i feel most comfortable locked up in my office...sad...i used to be so active! i can probably get away with the extensions for a little while, but is it worth it?! but then...the wedding...every now and then i try to get out of it..tell my fiance that i am not ready, etc...but the truth is, i am not ready to face his family without hair...so afraid, that they'll wisper amongst themselves that he could do 'so much better'...ok, gotta run..got another useless apointment with dermatologyst...will hope for the miracle...

19. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

In my opinion I don't think that any type of extension is going to be great for your hair, but I don't think that they do extensive amounts of damage, either. If they did none of the extension companies would still be in business. So while I don't think the glue bonds or the crimp-on bonds in and of themselves are going to wreck you hair, anytime you put strain of any sort on hair it stresses it to somed degree. The significance of that stress varies from person to person and I truly think that you have to weigh the outcome of how the extensions look vs. what is going on with your hair underneath them. Extensions will not cause hair to stop growing. You do not need to shave your head to wear a wig, though some people do for comfort or depending on the type of wig (vaccuum sealed wigs require a shaved head for example).

A weave is where the stylist created a 'track' in your existing hair and bonds or sews a weave onto the track. Think of a weave as a 'curtain' of hair and the 'curtain rod' is the part that gets sewn or glued onto the track. Some people have tracks shaved into their head and the weaves glued on directly but more commonly the stylist makes a small cornrow braid that wraps around the area of the head where the weave is going to be. They then use a needle and thread to sew the weave onto the braided track. This is another options where you generally still have to have enough hair to cover the track so that the weave is not obvious. There are some companies that will sew several weaves in layers starting at the top of the head and working down where none of your natural hair (or very little of it anyway) is left exposed. They build a part with the location of the tracks. Most of the pictures that I have found online are of people with African hair though you can find weaves made from European/Asian hair as well. The concern that I would have with a braided weave is if it would look poofy from the braids underneath, but I can't speak from experience on this one. I know that someone on the board had their topper sewn into a braided track and in the end shaved the track into her hair and glued the darn thing down because of poofiness. That's the closest that I know of to someone who has had weave-type experience.

Before you start looking at full wigs you might explore toppers. They are much smaller, lighter, and when cut in well with your natural hair are just as undetectable as a well made wig. It's also a bit less traumatizing for some people to start small. When I got my bonded topper I was actually shocked at how much hair a 4 inch by 5 inch topper could give me and it looks awesome. I was at the point of thinking that a wig might be the only option for me, but the bonded topper rocks and gives me plenty of hair to play with.

Deciding to go with a cosmetic option is a huge step to take and it's a long road to finding what will work for you. What I will say, however, is that several women on this board have had wonderful experiences once they found the cosmetic option that works best for their lifestyle. I know that I would NEVER go back (and I took the big plunge and shaved the top of my head for them to glue my topper down!).

Again, I urge you to go for consultations and gather as much information as you can for yourself. Don't buy the first thing that 'might' work, ask tons of questions, and keep an open mind. 3 years ago when I started losing my hair I would have called someone nuts if they asked me to shave part of my head and glue a hairpiece to it. And when all is said and done, this board is an amazing source of information BUT you can't learn everything from other people's experiences. If you have your heart set on extensions check them out but proceed with caution. It is horrible how many people will pray on victims of this disease and are so willing to take advantage of an emotionally devestating time in our lives. Good luck, and let us know how things go!

20. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I will also add about the 'out of sight, out of mind' thing that since I have found a cosmetic solution I spend almost zero percent of my time thinking about my hairloss and tons of time thinking about how awesome my hair looks now. I literally just don't even think about the thinning anymore because my hair is so thick that it doesn't matter so I don't stress about it.