Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Moviegirl 2010 update

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by moviegirl, Feb 11, 2011.

1. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi,

It's been a while since I have shared what's been going on. In Dec. 2008, I went back to NYC for a hair transplant w/ Dr. Walter Unger.
    I got 866 hairs from that procedure. I like to go around that time of year for holiday purposes. Plus it is beautiful with all the displays
    and festivities. I knew I would go back in 2009 to NYC.

In 2009, I flew back to see Dr. Unger. Before seeing him, I had planned to see Daniel Craig(from the Bond movies) at a play but I
    was sick w/ a cold. I had to miss that but wanted to be all well
    for the surgery. This one had more hairs--1, 329 hairs. He said it was a miracle. I was in NYC for over 10 days so I had about 3 follow up visits to see how things were progressing. When he saw the back of the head, he noticed my local doctor in 2008 had not removed the stitches properly. So I would need to return in 2010 to have that done.

In Jan. and Feb. 2010, I flew back to get some new veneers. I had some old veneers from the 1980's and 1990's and it was time they were replaced. I have a local dentist but he doesn't have the background or experience my dentist in NYC has.

In June 2010 I saw Dr. Unger to get the stitches removed properly.
    It turned out he was able to get 400 hairs from that. I was scheduled for surgery the next day. I was not prepared like I was for the other ones. I had no idea he'd be able to get more hair or that he'd have time to do surgery the next day. I didn't have a button down shirt(required) or Epsom salts or a head scarf. I was a bundle of nerves :shock: But it went well and life went on!!

So now I have hair that has grown back. I am a very private person
    and the lady who works for me and my hair stylist are my closest
    friends thru out all of this. I have a beautiful collection of berets.
    The show Mad Men has made wearing hats popular again,too!

I have had people ask me why I wear hats and one asked if I had been to Paris. But I have found I don't have to explain myself to anyone and those that really care about me love me for who I am as a person.

Hair transplants aren't for everyone but that is the route I chose. I admire every lady who has made choices that give them peace of mind. That's what it is all about(IMHO).

Off to Paris(j/k),
    Moviegirl

2. Louise

Louise Guest

Hi Movie girl,

Thank you for taking the time to update. I am glad you have found peace of mind. You sound like you are a career girl which I admire. Wishing you continued success in your choice.

Louise

3. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I want to know (maybe a lot of us do) how did it all turn out?? I mean your hair?

4. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

yes, i'm so curious to know if you made a big net gain in your hair. also, what kind of hair loss did you have? thanks!

5. titan36

titan36 Guest

Yes. this is my sound too. I am curious.

6. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi,

I don't know what net gain is? My doctor thought I had Alopecia Areata. No, eyebrows and leg hair has to be groomed!

Best,
    Moviegirl

7. mshistory

mshistory Guest

I think we're wondering if you've gotten enough hair coverage on your scalp to go without hats and if the transplants have made a big difference in appearance ;)

Do you mean that you have alopecia areata?

I'm afraid my hair loss is too diffuse so that transplants would never be an option for me :( But I love hearing successful stories!

8. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi,

Oh, is that what the question meant? I didn't major in economics so I like laymen terms!

My hairstylist asked me last October of 2010 if I knew I had hair to cover my scalp? I didn't know that. I know jaws are dropping over that but I was in a que sera attitude cause I had known I had gone to one of the best surgeons and it was going to take TIME. We want results NOW and healing is different for everyone. In December 2009 when I had 1,392 hairs put in, he had gone lower than usual and I have a lax scalp. In Jan. 2010 and a few months afterwards, I had these red bumps. So I would keep drinking lots of water(I have always been a water/ice kind of gal) and would wash my hair before seeing my hairstylist. I wasn't about to have some girl scrub my scalp vigorously. My former general practioner had not removed my stitches properly in 2008 so I made an appointment to have that done in June 2010 in NYC. He was able to get 400 hairs from that and he didn't have an appointment w/ another patient--therefore, I was able to get a mini transplant. I had NO IDEA this would turn into a transplant. I try to follow instructions to a T and was not prepared.
    So afterwards I left there with a big bandage and no scarf to wrap around and sunglasses. When I walked into the hotel, I thought Let anyone think I have a disease, I don't care! The next day, I had the bandages removed and hair is washed. Then instructions for washing and soaking w/ Epsom salts is very important. I left the next day to go to Duke to have my thryoid checked and the hotel had a bathtub.
    Many hotels don't have bathtubs-- just a shower.

My hairstylist has known me for years and she's been very kind to me.
    I take about 4 different hair products because their salon doesn't carry Purelogy or Kerastase products. I like to put in Phillip Kingsley
    Hair Elastizer(something like that) as a pre-shampoo product.

Hope this helps,
    Moviegirl

9. KimbaS

KimbaS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Moviegirl,

Was the transplant successful? Are you happy with the results? Do you have "more" hair, fuller hair, in the transplanted areas?

10. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes please tell us!!!

11. Phenix

Phenix Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Any updates moviegirl?