Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Moving from clip-on topper to bonding

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Veestrong, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Veestrong

Veestrong Guest

Just needed to vent a little...

I've been wearing a Flora topper for over 5 years. The same topper! (love Flora!) So it really does last that long if you take care of it.

I wear it everyday for 8 hours and take it off each night. Some days I wear it for 16 hours. Those are the days where I think about bonding. The clips start to hurt and you start clipping and unclipping every couple of hours to let the bio hair relax. It's very difficult to wear a topper in the hot summers. And I'm traveling this summer so I have been trying to find a solution w/o wearing a topper. I read somewhere where I can get extensions that would cover the top of the scalp too and I went to a hair extension salon today and she said my hair was too thin on the top. Duh I knew that. For some reason, after dealing with hair loss for over 15 years (I'm 32), I just cried on the way home.

So today I've been doing research on bonding. I don't think I even mind the shaving part but the part where it seems like if I go bonding, I can't go back. Is that right? Has anyone bonded and then decided to go back to a clip on?

I've included a picture of my bio hair today.

Attached Files:

2. Sassy

Sassy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Veestrong- I can't believe you wore the same topper for 5 years everyday!!! That's Flora for you. I have not tried a topper mainly because of the clips plus I don't want to remove nightly due to my own vanity. I know the clips will give me headaches. I have been wearing the Smart Part for a year now. I'm on my second one only because I wanted to go longer. I have a feeling the way you take care of your piece yours will last a long time. The top of my hair looks like yours. What I like about Smart Part is that I remove it about every 5 weeks and have it put back on. I have discovered that a little dap of eyelash glue will help it stay put a bit longer. Yes, It can pull out some hair with each removal but heck, if I were bonding I'd have to shave it anyway. Anyway good luck in your reserach.
    Sharalee

3. Veestrong

Veestrong Guest

Thanks Sassy! I am very impressed with Flora's topper. It looks like I can use it for another 5 years. Very good hair quality...lot better than my own bio hair.

I just contacted a salon near by that specializes in hair loss and they said they do offer Smart Parts. So I'll have my consultation with them this week and see. Probably will go with glueing it since I'm going to try staying away from clips for the summer.

4. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Veestrong! My story is quite similar to yours - I'm 37 and have been losing my hair since I was around 15 or 16. I have curly hair so it was easy to disguise in the beginning but then became more and more difficult. This year, I decided I had had enough of it. I have been researching toppers for about 7 years and decided this was the year I was going to do it. So I did! And I have to say I LOVE it!!!! I am so happy that I don't have to worry about the wind, or painstakingly having to do my hair every morning. Now I have a full head of hair (well on the top at least) and I can style it, pull it back, wear it curly, straight, etc. Shaving was a HUGE step for me, so if you are okay with it than you are more than half way there. That's what kept me from doing it for so long.

Mine is an all lace base and it is not hot at all. I live in Texas and even though it's a bit chilly right now, I've gone through some days of heat with it. I haven't had it during a summer here yet but i am assuming it will be fine. I hope you find a solution that works for you! I just had to say that I am thrilled with my topper and would recommend it to anyone going through this. :)

5. ksgrl

ksgrl Guest

@Angela75, so glad to hear you're loving your bonded topper as I'm working up the courage to bond myself. I've received my topper, and love it. Now for the commitment to bond.....and yes, the shaving part is the big hump to get over for me.

6. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Ksgrl! I had to look at it like going to the dentist - i know it sounds weird, but when you are getting a crown or veneers or something done to your teeth, they have to drill the original tooth down to put a nice, new shiny tooth on top of it... and we never think twice about that. The last time I went to the dentist, I was stupid and looked in the mirror to see what my tooth looked like drilled down... i was horrified. But then they popped that new crown on top of it and you would never know what it looked like under there without the crown on... and no one else will ever know that the tooth underneath looks like a small little nub. For me, i see it the same way with my hair. My hair was getting worse and worse, and I knew that bonding would give me nice, new shiny hair... so I just went with it. Sure, I am still a bit shocked to see myself with a shaved head, but then the hair is put on top of it and no one would ever know that I'm bald under it :) See, just like the dentist ;p

7. ichabod_lovesme

Dislikes Received:
    im slowly working my way to bonding - but my first step is trying the tape method - i work out alot and obviously need to wash my hair - anybody know a good tape? and yes i am scared of having to shave park of my head but when you really think about it - its the part we hide anyway - ive been wearing a revlon magic snap for the last two years and its held up really good but the clips are killing me

8. Veestrong

Veestrong Guest

Didn't realize I had responses! So glad to hear what everyone is going thru.

So I went to my appointment at this hair salon today. I really really enjoyed it. I cannot tell you how much. The lady I worked with was awesome. They have these private rooms that are pretty and private. It was so great to talk to another person who had hair loss since they were young and even able to discuss how our husbands deal with it. We both agreed it's something private and something we want to talk about when we want to talk about it (like not at the dinner table). The lady that worked with me was probably in her late 60's and has been wearing a wig/topper for over 40 years.

Anyway, she was really impressed with the Flora topper and how long I've had it. At the end, we decided to go with bonding and I wouldn't have to shave my whole head actually. Just part of the track? And she would glue it. So I've ordered my new piece. It will take 8-12 weeks and then she'll help me get it bonded.

If anyone is interested, here's a pic with the Flora topper today. Looks good right? Can't believe how well this piece has held up. I've been playing with a zig zag part and washed it last week and didn't flat iron it so it's a lil poofy. :) It's gonna be so weird wearing a new piece after wearing this one for so long.

And I've felt kind of inspired to start helping other people with this. Maybe go to some hair cutting class and in the future do what this lady does. We'll see.

veestrong.JPG

9. Sadlatina

Sadlatina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about making an appintment and go for a bonded one too i hate stressing about my hair every single minute and hate to see myself in the mirror i got a clip one 3 years ago but never use it.. I want something permanent and dont have to deal or see this 3 hairs left on my head for days or weeks or months ugghhh

10. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sadlatina - It took me sooooooooooooooo long to take the plunge and get a bonded topper, but I have to say after I decided to just do it, I have never once regretted my decision. For me, it has really been a life saver. Sure there are things you still have to deal with, like making sure you use the right tape, having it lift a bit after the 2nd or so week of bonding, etc. but all of that is NOTHING compared to the devastation I felt every day dealing with my hair loss. I realize bonding isn't right for everyone, but it was right for me. I didn't want to deal with taking my hair off every night and being reminded of what was left under the topper/wig. I just wanted something that would take my mind off of it and that's why i went for bonding. I have curly hair, so getting the curl right has been difficult and each piece I've worn has been slightly different - hair texture, curl, etc. but it is all worth it!!

11. Sadlatina

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Angela! how long you been bonding your toppers? where do you buy it at??? does people notice it?? I know I have a lot of questions, sorry! did you share your history with us before? so I can look for it and stop asking you too many questions :D I really need a life saver... i'm so tired of dealing with my hair every single day... I don't even wanna leave my house, I want to sleep all day... I don't want people to see me!!! I need my life back .. I have a daughter who needs me!!! :(

12. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been bonding now for almost 1.5 years. I get it from a salon in Dallas, Tx where I live and they do the bonding there. I do remove it for them before my appointments because I have really dry skin and my bonds last 5 weeks + so I don't like them trying to take it off and I can do it slower and take my time at home before my appointments. I have been on this forum for a LOOOONNNNGGGGG time. You can see my first bonding post here (but I have lots of others throughout the boards) http://www.heralopecia.com/interact...I-did-it!-I-got-my-topper-bonded-on-yesterday! don't be scared by it though because I did have a bad experience at the first place that I went to. After that though I went back to the salon that I had originally visited 10+ years ago and my experience was great. My one piece of advice would be to always go with a lace base and not a skin type base. It was horrible... tight and hot and just really bad. The lace ones are great!!

13. Sadlatina

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Angela!!! and i'm so glad you are happy with the results :) and i'm not afraid of bonding... my only concerns are prices and to find a place near me! i'm in California!!!

14. Sadlatina

Dislikes Received:
    Angela... Do you order your own topper or they do it at the hair salon? I really want a flora topper but not sure if they can be bonded?!?!

15. kellygreen13

kellygreen13 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Salon suggestions in Dallas/Fort Worth

Hi Angela75! I've recently decided to take the plunge in to bonding. Can I ask what salon you go to in Dallas? I did an initial visit to a couple in the Dallas area and limited it down to 2 places but I'm having a hard time choosing. Sounds like you're pretty experienced in trying out a few and I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

16. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is so weird! I haven't been to these boards since 2014 and just decided to come back and take a look around today! I just saw your post Kellygreen13! I don't know why I never got a notification about there being new posts here. I will private message you. I had a BAD experience with one place in Dallas and I would not recommend them but they might work for some people. Just not for me. I will send you a PM now. :)

- - - Updated - - -

So sorry for the late (3 years later reply!!) I order my topper through the salon. A lot of people get them from Hair direct which I've heard great things about. I would think you can bond the flora ones, but bonding really breaks them down faster so it wouldn't last as long as it does when using it as a clip-on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Kelly - I just tried to PM you, but it won't let me :( It says that you aren't set up to receive private messages? So, try to PM me if you can and I will reply that way. Otherwise, I will post the info here. I just didn't want to bad-mouth a salon in a public forum ;p

17. kellygreen13

kellygreen13 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can't figure out PM

This is so weird! I haven't been to these boards since 2014 and just decided to come back and take a look around today! I just saw your post Kellygreen13! I don't know why I never got a notification about there being new posts here. I will private message you. I had a BAD experience with one place in Dallas and I would not recommend them but they might work for some people. Just not for me. I will send you a PM now. :)

Hi, Kelly - I just tried to PM you, but it won't let me :( It says that you aren't set up to receive private messages? So, try to PM me if you can and I will reply that way. Otherwise, I will post the info here. I just didn't want to bad-mouth a salon in a public forum

Hi Angela75! Well I can't figure out the PM thing. It says I'm not authorized but I can't figure out why. And I don't want to make you bad mouth in a public forum. I'm not a fan of that either. Any way you can share your experience publically but with lots of disclaimers? I'll say I've been to 4 places in DFW just sorta interviewing them. It's hard to find places that specialize in this sort of thing from an internet search. I narrowed it down to 2 places: Follicure (liked them but just wasn't 100% sold) and Randy Clark (liked that he was no BS and I felt like I could just be flat out honest with him about this business). I ended up ordering a piece from Randy. Haven't gotten it in yet. But I'm a huge fan of having ALL the info possible before making a final decision on this. To me, as a complete newbie to bonding, it's a huge step. I think 99% of the battle is a mental one: just getting to the right place in your mind to take the plunge ya know. Anyway, you sound like a SUPER knowledgeable gal. I would REALLY appreciate your input. Thanks Angela75! :)

18. wmsandski

wmsandski New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Follow up on salon suggestions for DFW

Hi Kellyreen13!

I am new here and have been researching (hours and hours!) toppers and clip-on vs bonding. From a post on another site, I have an appointment this Sat at Bravadas in Dallas to try out a clip-on topper. However, I did have an appt with Randy Clark 4 years ago and REALLY liked him. I just wasn't ready for that yet (shaving) but knew when the time came I would consider him. You are right...99% of the battle IS mental. Is your piece from Randy Clark for the entire head or just partial (like a topper)?

Since I haven't purchased yet, I am still considering other salons in DFW. From research, Beauty Box was another one I thought I'd try. It was like my hair seriously went from ok-with-concealer to pitiful in a month (but I've been wearing concealer since 2003 - it is time!). I am now anxious to get on with life and not worry about from what angle someone sees me :(

Thank you for the great info!

Annie

19. Sofia1980

Sofia1980 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Veestrong, it looks sooo good!!! Can I get Flora toperrs in Europe? I struggle to find a quality piece that will ship to most European countries.

20. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, No!! Again, I just decided to come back to the forums today to check out what has been going on and just saw that y'all had questions for me! I am so, so sorry! I don't know why the PM function isn't working and I don't know why I don't get notified when there are new posts in threads I've posted in. Anyway, my history with Randy Clark is a long one. I went almost 15 years ago, had a piece made and then chickened out. Then years later I went to the other place you mentioned - starts with an "F" - and I had a really, really bad experience. So, I went back to Randy and have been going there for years. I have curly hair though and trying to get the curl right has been an ongoing battle... but it is what it is and at least I have hair! I hope y'all are doing well and I hope it won't take me another year to respond if you guys post here again!