Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My daughters possible Alopecia

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by Bama, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Bama

Bama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    3 months ago I discovered a bald spot about the size of a dime right in the front and center part of my daughters scalp. I took her to the doctor and was told to wait to see if it got any bigger. Well three months later it hasn't gotten any bigger nor has the hair grown back. I search everyday and there isn't any new patches just that one. I took her back to the doctor and the doctor referred her to the dermatologist with a diagnosis of alopecia. I really hope it's not although I know other kids go through things far worse. I can't help but be worried sick with the way this could possibly make her feel about herself if she turns out to have Alopecia. I have my doubts and concerns if it's actually alopecia or not so I'm wondering has anyone elses alopecia been known to start out this way. Another factor is she has eczema, I know also not good news. By the way she is 5 years old.

2. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Bama,
    Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. How are things going? Hair loss or Alopecia of any kind can be really devastating to one's self esteem no matter the age. But even if she has Alopecia, that doesn't mean the end of the world. Make sure to ensure her that she is beautiful no matter what. I have a friend with Alopecia totalite. She has no hair at all. She wears the most beautiful hats and scarfs and wigs from time to time. I do envy her and admire her at the same time because she doesn't let this disease control her life.
    I always had fine hair on the thinner side, and had a mean grandmother who always made sure to tell me how thin/ugly my hair was looking. I grew up feeling very insecure about it which didn't help me once the Androgenetic Alopecia hit

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like alopecia aerata. At one time derms used cortisone injections, don't know if that's still the case.