Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My endo wants me to stop anti androgens

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by dying curls, Nov 6, 2010.

1. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Hey,

So I went to my endo for a new prescription of natural oestrogens and cyprosterone acetate today. He prescribed them fro six months along with the regular control blood sample.

He thinks since i ve been taking this treatment for 4 years I should now switch to another one and stop taking cyprosterone acetate. (My gyn does not agree with him though, maybe because she's a woman and understands my worries about hair loss).

I told him I have Androgenetic Alopecia and that maybe just reducing the dosage would be a better option for me he said he wants to try somehting else. I told him i am fine with these meds, i have no side effects and that i dont want to "try" somehting new and experiment because of my Androgenetic Alopecia. He said "you have Androgenetic Alopecia i dont see any Androgenetic Alopecia here, you have head on our head right?" "yes but i lost some, it's diffuse, i used to have thick hair on top, not anymore" " right..." he seems to deny the fact i have Androgenetic Alopecia even though i ve been diagnosed by a derm ...

I dont' know i think I will just stick with my gyn for the prescription, but this consultation made me angry.

I know that eventually I will have to face Androgenetic Alopecia and even wear a wig but at least give me the few years I have left before TTC (if I can ttc)....

PLus i just told him i was glad because after 4 years of treatment i was still seeing improvement on my toe nails for example... he seems not to care.

2. dying curls

dying curls Guest

obviously this has never happened to anybody before?

3. Louise

Louise Guest

Hi dying curls,

If it was me and you are happy continuing with your meds and you feel they are helping you, then I would continue. What reasons did he give for wanting to change them? Go with your gut feeling - thats what I do?

I can never understand these damn doctors always wanting to change medication when you are doing perfectly well on them. Is it to do with cost?

Hope you get sorted soon.
    Louise :)

4. dying curls

dying curls Guest

No nothing to do with the cost.
    He is one of those who think you can stay on anti androgens for too long. Also he's not convinced I really lost hair (how would he know? i cut myhair short so as to hide it! and he never took a look at it).
    He thinks switching to a regular BCP will be enough....weird, yet he knows I have PCOS!! And hair loss is my first symptom, the one that appears befor unwanted hair ect...

well, I ll see another doctor if needed.

5. tristesse

tristesse Guest

I would strongly advise you to stick with the medication that has helped you. According to Hugh Rushton ( UK trichologist) hair does not like change. In fact, I did the same a couple of years ago, I switched to another pill and I experienced a massive hair loss !!! ( until today irreversible).

6. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yeah, i think exactly the same.
    i just will find another doctor or a derm to prescribe it.
    thus endo thinks i am delusionnal because i dont look bald to him...as if bewteen a full head of haor and total baldness there was nothing in between...i have been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia by a derm .