Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My Experience With Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by EllaUK, Apr 25, 2022.

1. EllaUK

EllaUK New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hairline has receded approximately one inch over the last ten years (an inch and a half on one side) from Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia (FFA). I have the tell-tale patchy hairline and lone hairs, including intermittent itching and red patches. Hundreds of articles about FFA are stored on my smartphone and computer.

What I've learned thus far:

First described in 1994, FFA is a new and poorly understood autoimmune condition that attacks intermediate hairs on the scalp, but spares vellus and terminal hairs. A combination of genetics, hormonal status and environmental factors may trigger FFA. A long list of suspected triggers includes titanium dioxide* (found in sunscreens* and make-up) and certain foods: buckwheat* and millet*. Vitamin D is problematic as it may improve or worsen the condition.

Hormones play a big role, in particular androgens and DHEA etc.

Conventional medicine hasn't helped my situation much so I've researched the topic myself, as best I can. (I usually skip to the 'Conclusion' section of a scientific article.)

What helps me:

I take one Dutasteride* capsule (off label use) per month. Dutasteride has a long half-life of approximately five weeks. (This is simply to save money. Once a week may work better.)

When I feel itching or if I experience a flare-up, I apply a mixture of jojoba oil and peppermint* Essential Oil (EO) directly to the scalp using a cotton bud. (In a small glass dropper bottle of 30ml of jojoba oil add 20 drops of peppermint EO. Lavender* EO works too but may have a sedative affect.)

I try to avoid dairy and gluten, which cause flare ups.

I try up manage stress, which causes flare ups. (Sensitivity to certain foods ie. tyramines etc, may cause stress too.)

I try to eat an anti-inflammatory diet.

I avoid all make-up and sunscreens that contain titanium dioxide. Instead, I've made my own concealer powder (videos on YouTube) and I try to expose my scalp and my hairline (without sunscreen) to direct sunlight/UV* for a few minutes each day.

I drink green tea* with a little turmeric* powder mixed in.

Some new things I plan to try:

Reishi mushroom* capsules along side, or instead of, Dutasteride.

Regular vigorous exercise for DHEA* levels.

Avoiding buckwheat and millet, which may be triggers.

What's helped me most is applying topical jojoba/peppermint oil and Dutasteride.

* mentioned in scientific literature pertaining to FFA and general hair loss issues/remedies.

The Chook likes this.