Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My first hair enhancement

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Mane_Trouble, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

My first wig has been ordered and it looks like I will receive it in some days. I can't tell you how much headwork and exasperation it took to finally get to this point. Sometimes it seems so surreal that I am taking this step. But this is the time to do it - now while I know my hair has gotten intolerably worse, yet others haven't quite figured out what's going on because I'm either wearing coverups on my head or primping my hair for over an hour to a result I just hate anyway. I figure now I'll take this time to transition, play, and adjust my image before I'm driven too it out of necessity. All I can say is I am beyond grateful for all that I've witnessed on heralopecia to give me the hope that I can handle this and it can turn out alright! Now I wish I just had the darn things in hand already. The suspense is rattling me!

2. Gillian

Gillian Guest

Congrats! What wig did you order?

Ditto to everything you said. I've been working with Kathy from Wig Support to get a topper. I liked the last one she sent me (a LOL 182), but the color wasn't quite right, so I'm trying another.

It's taken me two years to get to the point that I could try a topper. I don't know why my hair has fallen out, but I want to find a way to move forward. I am hoping so much that this iwill be the solution for me--doing the girly comb-over evey day just isn't working any more! I think I could buy 2 toppers for the amount I've spent on Dermatch, Couvre, Toppik and hair spray.

And I absolutely agree--the ladies on this board and on Wig Support are wonderful.

When you get your new wig, post pictures :D

Gillian

3. bayareagirl

bayareagirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mane,

Congrats for taking this step at this point.

Where did you order it from - anywhere in SF?

Wishing you lots of luck with it. While I was out in SF at the weekend, I walked past a wig store on Columbus. I was with other people so couldn't really give it more than a passing glance - it may have been a costumey kind of wig place, I couldn't tell. But anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

What did you order?
    Kate

4. dorothy

dorothy Guest

I know it is hard Mane, I am in the same exact place, but can I ask why you decided on a wig instead of a topper?
    Dorothy

5. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

I'm going for the wig option for now because at present I didn't know how I'm going to go about effectively blending my real hair to a topper. There's so much I don't know yet, including who I'll be utilizing as a stylist. My understanding is one's hair has to be cut into the topper to match. Also bangs are recommended. Well I don't like bangs on me. Also the hair color I want is strawberry red - my own hair is dark brown. When it comes to using a topper in the color I want, I don't know what I'd do about emerging roots in the front, plus I don't want to subject my hair to more dying at present. Honestly I dislike hair fuss and I guess I think the addition of the topper is going to require more adjustment time and upkeep, so after poring over the wig albums on heralopecia I thought I'd try that avenue first. The wigs look awesome in some cases and when they are synthetic, they hold style and can be quickly put on.

I am going to be getting a human hair Georgie Norah and trying a synthetic European Naturals Marcella by way of Kathy.

6. dragongrrl

dragongrrl Guest

Mane....ooh..let us know how that marcella goes....she looks so cute.

7. bayareagirl

bayareagirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mane - great picks. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Do you feel ready for a wig or are you just testing the water? You never know, you might love them so much you get going on wearing them straight away!

Good luck. I'm rooting for you!
    Kate

8. Peony

Peony Guest

mane--my problem with the wig is that it is HOT! the topper is hot, too, and i sweat like crazy in it in the sun, but a full on wig around the back of my hair would kill me. i'd cease to be a person and morph into a 6 foot tall sweatball.

9. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Hi Maine Trouble

Congratulations on you purchase, let us now know how it goes hun. WS inspired me into my first wig too you probally have seen me in stevie now i am used to her I Love it!!

At first they will probally feel odd it takes a bit to get used to but when you do their will be a whole new you.

Kathy is a Diamond.

Love Sarahxx

10. teester

teester Guest

Maine,
    I am exactly where you are at. I hate my hair so much and before I get to the absolute point of needing a cosmetic option and people noticing I should do what you are doing and get a wig or topper. When I did all my research I thought, ok I am ready when the day comes but now I am scared s***less. I am a member of WS but have not really spent much time over on that site. How are you deciding what to go with? Just by visual on the computer? Or do you do everything through the mail? I want so much to be done with this process and life to just be life without hair obsession.

Good for you for moving forward. Keep us posted on how it is going,
    Tina

11. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

Back to the drawing board

Hi gals - well I got Marcella over the weekend...I posted some pics of it on me in WS. Unfortunately, she just doesn't look right for me, bummer :(
    Close, but not close enough. I admit I am a bit disappointed. I just so want to have something in the bag that works already! Anyway, the problem for me with the Marcella is that she runs a bit too thin, so the hairline at the bottom is too sparse and shows gaps - that's the look I am trying to get away from since my own hair does that admirably already, ha! So I sent her back today and now I am just confused. I really would prefer a wig to work at this point as getting a topper to look good is going to be a challenge. I so want to sport the vibrant red color I used to have, but I no longer feel I can subject my real hair to constant dying - therefore blending into a topper is going to be a challenge. Darn it!

12. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

Phew! And just as I was starting to get bummed out again, my next option arrived in the mail...the Georgie Norah human hair wig...ladies, she's gorgeous. Even out of the box, the color and texture are just divine! I will need to get her styled because the front hairline is a bit too thick for belief. But I think it's going to be manageable and I might stand a shot of looking nice in her! I have uploaded pictures to heralopecia if you're curious. If you have been holding back on exploring a human hair wig I would highly recommend checking out the current sale at BestWigOutlet!

13. Peony

Peony Guest

mane--i'm so glad you like it!