Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My Hair Became Brittle Within The Last Year

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Blue, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Blue

Blue New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I have Androgenetic Alopecia and suffering for almost 10 years. Every day is a struggle.

Until last year my hair was actually soft although thinning significantly. However, within a year my hair became dull and brittle. Difficult even to comb.

My treatments are just - oral vitamins, lavender shampoo mixed with yeast and nettle+lavender rinse

I have been doing garlic treatment and nettle rinse for years, never experienced brittle though.

What could be the causes and what can I do to restore without making much hair falling? Maybe the hair texture just changes after years of Androgenetic Alopecia? Ugh, I am so depressed :(

2. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    I find that I need to use a fairly rich conditioner in order to make my hair feel, well, like hair! I don't put the conditioner throughout my hair (as I did when I had really thick hair), but I do put it a little from about the 1/2 mark to my ends. When I rinse my hair, I try to make sure that some of the rinsing water hits my roots - a very, very watered down version of the conditioner. Sometimes my hair gets too soft (thinner hair has a tendency to do that with conditioners), so I reduce the amount of conditioner. Good luck, if you choose to try this!

Blue likes this.
  3. elixa99

elixa99 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Don't use an excess amount of conditioner I mostly use lavender oil for hair growth. Lavender oil deep conditions the hair, keeps it shiny and helps control dandruff.

4. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello out there,

Today again I had a horrible shed post hair wash!! I have been shedding continuously for the last 13 months now, where initially only long hair were shed and now both long and short , thin hair are shed. There have been continuous dread shed periods ( one is ongoing since last one month ) , which involves all types of hairfall ( clumps of hair fall out actually).
    Although I shed miniature hair( a lot ), I strongly assume I still have CTE ( coz of the amounts of fall). Any ideas as to what I can use to.prevent further loss? I currently eat spironolactone ( well one my derms thought it's Androgenetic Alopecia coz of the miniaturisation ) plus a multi-vitamin tablet .
    Also I have been on spironolactone for the last 5 months !! Can this recent dread shed onset be a positive sign ? ( Like all the unhealthy growth going making way for healthier hair ) ....I am literally very confused as the amounts suggest cte, but the miniaturization part suggests Androgenetic Alopecia....I want to come off aldactone if it's not doing me any good!! But I am scared at the same time ( can't afford further dread sheds really ....) :(

Also I have seen majority of people with Androgenetic Alopecia have hairfall for years before it gets noticed ..But for me it's just one 13 months into this ordeal and I hardly have anything left ...

Any advice would really be appreciated .

5. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had this answer I know for some sprio can cause more shed before it helps “i it does at all. Is you testosterone or any androgen levels high? Not sure why you’d be on it in the first place if it isn’t. Those hairs could be from more then just Androgenetic Alopecia cte cause cause them and so can low ferrrin.

6. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    I really wish to get a solution for this !!
    My testosterone and dhea-a and dhea-s levels are normal....also my nape is badly affected....any ideas on why can this be now ?
    Part of CTE or traction ? ( Photo attached )

I really pray that issues with my hair get over soon :( ( too distressing this is )

Attached Files:

7. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same here except my Dheas levels are only slightly high I have nape loss too but just all over thing as well.

8. Bluelilac

Bluelilac New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair texture changed within the last year - 6 months. I always had super straight silky hair with zero wave pattern. Now I have APKH and my hair is like pubes. It's gross.

9. elixirhtc

elixirhtc Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think you need to get a shampoo as well a conditional as well it might be helpful for your hair ...