Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My Hair Loss Story / Some Success With Rogaine

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Mattie, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    5 years ago I started a new form of birth control a hormonal iud , within 3-4 months I noticed terrible thinning and shedding - had the iud removed and waited for my hair to return to normal,-it never did. Finally after trying and waiting for a year for my hair to return to normal I saw a dermatologist - she prescribed Rogaine. I rejected this , I did not want to spend the rest of my life dependent on Rogaine and decided to go the “ “‘Natural route”, tried oils and massages , conditioners , elixirs - nothing worked. By this time my hair was so thin I could only wear a ponytail and was not improving . Went to see a tricologist in NY, a naturopath in Connecticut , and another dermatologist and endocrinologist in New Jersey . I was diagnosed with andronergic alopecia- again Rogaine was recommended - I tried it after 3 weeks had dread shed and stopped it completely . Now my hair was worse than when I started . I was so depressed , I’d cry , and get out of any social engagement I could . I tried weaves and wigs and continued to wear my hair back in a ponytail . I read everything I could online , product reviews , forums ,you tube , anything about hair loss

I finally decided I would try Rogaine again , brought a laser cap , and hair vitamin and said I would try all 3 for 6 months and not stop no matter what shedding occurred . I endured the shedding , I said it was part of the process and pressed on . After 6 months I could feel my hair thicken , found a short hair cut I liked and cut it short ( which was a huge leap of faith as my ponytail allowed me to hide a lot of hair flaws).
    I started to get compliments on my hair -when people would give them I would look around because I could not believe they were talking to me . I had not had a compliment on my hair in almost 6 years , it was unfamiliar to me now.

My hair was not where it was before the andronergic alopecia but it was better and at least looked healthier , there are still problem areas and thinner spots but overall is in better condition . So much so that over the summer I stopped focusing on my hair and stopped following my regimen for about 3 months - I started to see my hair revert , shedding more and thinning once again . I immediately started back , I do not want to depend on anything to keep my hair , but the reality is I have a condition and like other conditions that need medical interventions , i have to stay on the regimen to see results or the condition will progress.

I hope my story gives someone hope or courage - it’s the feeling hopeless and helpless that’s the worse,
    Hating to walk past a mirror or make up lame excuses to get out of a graduation or anniversary party and feeling guilty or vain for not being able to get over it .

I’m not saying this regimen will help everyone , but keep trying until you find something that does .

2. thinhair1

thinhair1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing Mattie. Your story gives me hope and gives me hope for my daughter who will likely be diagnosed with androgenic alopecia some day.
    Could I ask what brand/type of laser cap you got?
    Also, I would recommend using Nizoral 2% shampoo every day, or at least 3 times per week and leave it on 5 minutes before rinsing off. My reading has convinced me that some androgenic alopecia may be due to the fungus that causes dandruff, and that even if you have no signs of dandruff this may help. It won't hurt. You can get the 1% over the counter in the US but I have to do mail-order to Canada to get the 2% over the counter there. The US requires a prescription (which is silly) for the 2% and I find it's cheaper and easier to do mail order to Canada than to do prescription in the US.

3. elixirhtc

elixirhtc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Its is very good to discuss one of your own story about how you lose your hairs due to reason that make your hair thin and shade...

4. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use the irestore laser cap