Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My hairloss in pictures- what would you do?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by sephora, Oct 30, 2011.

1. sephora

sephora Guest

Hello everyone!

My alopecia areata started pretty much 2,5 months ago. During these months I have seen four different dermatologist in 2 different countries and they all have been very sure that I have alopecia areata. I have been blood tested several times and nothing has been found, all the results are very good. I have not been in heavy medicines (just naproxen painkillers quite often) but I have gone through an awful big amount of stress past half year and I believe strongly that is what has caused alopecia. All the doctors have been very shocked about the speed I loose hair, very aggressive alopecia areata, I have become to this what you see in the photos in 2 months and I used to have very healthy and very thick and strong hair before....

Here I want to share a photo how my hair is at the moment and ask your opinion what should I do with it? Do you think it would be a bad idea to shave everything away? I am wearing a wig and I wonder would it be easier to wear the wig with bald head instead of little bit of hair here and there? Any experiences? Im still loosing hair all the time and I believe that I will loose everything. What would you do if you were me?

I have not used rogaine and actually nothing else than prp treatment once, I don't know if it works because they told me that I can see results (if there will be results) in 4 months.
    But now very recently I have started growing hair little bit, first I got some hair in a spot to the place where my alopecia started and actually they seem to become back in the same order what they left...is this positive sign?
    I also will add a photo of one these hair spots I have noticed. Its very "furry" in the beginning but now it start to look like hair already :)

thank you for any answer or response!

Attached Files:

2. sephora

sephora Guest

thanks for your opinion CKingAnswers!

First I was very not okey even cutting my hair shorter and I couldn't even pronounce "wig" out loud but the speed I loose my hair is very fast my thoughts have also change very fast and I think that I am getting over of the "first shock" and going towards of accepting the situation now. This website and noticing that I am not the only one at all with alopecia in the world helps also very much :)

Now the idea of shaving all "left overs" away has started to sound more okey. I hide my hair in a tiny ponytail under the wig but keeping it in the tigh pony tail really hurts my scalp after long day..
    Im just thinking would it be nicer if it was all away, anyway I look pretty much like bald already when my hair is on the pony tail (i dont have hair infront anymore)

Im just thinking that I think these hair what I have left is not very helpful anymore, even if my hair would start growing now immediately it wouldn't look very great to have these few long hair there....

But one thing I am bit worried, does it become cold without hair? I mean on normal day when I go to school it won't be a problem because I put wig on in the morning and take it away when I go to sleep but if i have free and lazy day home, does it usually become very cold to the scalp without any hair at all?

But I am trying to keep positive in these hard times and I believe that if its meant to be my hair will grow back one day again :) And what I can do now is just try to make all the negative feelings positive and enjoy life :)

3. kiki11974

kiki11974 Guest

Hi Sephora I also suffer from extensive hair loss. You pose a very interesting question. Although, I wear wigs, I haven't gotten the nerve to simply shave my head. I know that my hair won't grow back , but I can't bring my self to pull out the razor and go for it. As for getting cold, hmm. Even at home I usually wear scarves over my head , so I don't experience the "cold feeling" . I know nothing of what I said helps answers your questions, but I just wanted to share my experiences.

4. When I saw your pics I just had to reply. There are a lot of varying degrees of hairloss on here, many unnoticeable in pics and many of us not at the stage to even post pics. I just wanted to say how strong and brave you are. Your honesty and openess is inspiring!

5. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

Hello sephora

It is a hard decision to make whether or not to cut your hair. It is a very emotional time. One the one hand you are trying to hold onto what you have and yet it isn't really working for you and you wonder what it would be like to be free of the remaining hair. Take your time. Since you are wearing a wig anyway, I think you would find it more comfortable to cut the top part off and maybe keep a little ponytail at the back for tucking under the wig to help keep it down. I sometimes the buzzed hair helps act like velcro to keep your wig from moving around. You could always cut just a little at a time if you are nervous about taking it all off.
    About being cold, you could wear a cute hat to keep yourself warm if it is a problem.

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Sephora :grouphug: I'm very impressed with how well you're coping in spite of your rapid and severe hairloss from Alopecia Areata. :bravo:

My hairloss is also from Alopecia Areata which has come and gone through the years since I was a child of 4. I experienced a loss in the same pattern as yours at 17 years of age. I was in a wig for about 2 years but the good news is that my hair grew back & the Alopecia Areata went into remission . :)

I was not so lucky this last time . My loss was slow but steady from the bottom up and around the sides of my head. I kept a short haircut for as long as possible . I had not found others with Alopecia Areata like myself at that time. I really struggled especially once I realized all my hair was going to go. I watched the loss progress day by day, week by week, year by year. Losing it very quick would be quite a shock but losing it slowly was agonizing. I probably could have spared myself much grief if I had shaved it off once I was at 60% loss but I kept hoping it would stop & grow back as it had in the past. I waited until I had only one piece of hair left and then cut it off. It was a relief for me. No more hair left to lose.

I've been in Alopecia Areata support groups for about 8 years now and have heard from many people with Alopecia Areata who shaved their heads once their loss became severe. It was emotional for them but not one regretted their decision to shave.

I'm always too hot so I don't experience my head feeling cold. I do have alopecian friends who feel cold with their heads bare. There are a lot of different head coverings and sleep caps available. I'm including a link to the
    National Alopecia Areata Foundation marketplace for headwear for people with Alopecia Areata. A portion of the cost of orders placed through the vendors there goes to NAAF for research for a cure.

http://www.naaf.org/site/PageServer?pag ... s_headwear

I look forward to getting to know you better. Please feel free to get in touch with me with any further questions or concerns you have.

Hugs,
    Joann

7. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Hi Sephora

:wave:

If I were you, I think I would shave it all off. I think it makes the loss process easier, as although loss may still continue, you won't see those long hairs falling. Providing your wig fits your head well, it should be very comfortable with no hair at all. I shaved my head (although I have a different type of hair loss to you) and I found it to be a good experience and the wig wearing was definitely a little easier than trying to wear a wig on top of hair.

My head did get cold (especially in winter) - mainly at night. I wore a little fleece sleeping hat to bed. Very snug and apparently (according to other people) kinda cute too. :mrgreen: You can find a lot of options at headcovers.com and other sites like that. In the daytime, you might like to invest in and wear some Buffs - they are really easy to wear and soft too... like long tubes of fabric that you pull over your head, then pull back (like you would a headband) and you have a long amount left hanging down the back of your head, which you can just twist and tuck into the nape. I find them to be SO easy to wear and they come in lots of colours and patterns. They wash well and dry quickly.

HTH

8. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    I lost my hair very quickly like you, but my hair loss is hereditory.It is devastating when it goes so quickly.I cut my remaining hair really short as I found it easier to cope not to have long hair comming out in handfuls, but every one is different and its what you are comfortable with that matters. When mine was falling out my head felt quite itchy and sore so I wore head scarves and towelling turbans as they were soft and warm! :)
    HUGS
    DANCER ;)

9. sephora

sephora Guest

I wanted many times to come here back and answer to everybody but I felt that it was too difficult. Thank you EVERYBODY for all the nice comments and suggestions here :) <3

My hairloss was so rapid and I took it mentally very bad.... I couldn't go to work or studies anymore and I needed psychological help and support alot.

Well now after christmas vacation I am actually doing better. I have three front lace wigs that are very nice and I have tried to accept my situation with the hair like it is and just kind of let it be, even though its very hard.
    First I was very afraid to go out in a wig but after many times I noticed that nobody can tell its a wig and so what even if they could, i look great in a wig and that is what matters to me :)

Just wanted to give here a little update also of my hair growing. Now when I look at this picture, its very different now. I didn't cut my hair away, I just let it be. And I have alot of regrowth, very strong hair and I haven't seen hairloss continueing anymore. I think now my head is maybe 75% covered with hairgrow :) It makes me really happy and positive for the future :) I just try to not stress about it and enjoy life and try to find all the positive sides of this alopecia life :)

10. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Great news. :bravo:

11. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow- you have an amazing attitude and I am happy for you about the regrowth. Dealing with severe hair loss in women is so traumatic. My hair stylist told me that her husband only wants to sit in the back row at church because he is so self conscious about his thinning hair.Or wear a hat all the time. So how much worse is it for a woman to go through that?

Good luck and I'll bet you look cute in your wigs. I can get by without my topper but I am so vain I like wearing the clip on topper because I look so much better.

12. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So happy for you! :mrgreen: