Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My Journey to Acceptance

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Joann, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hopeuponhope

hopeuponhope Guest

Hi Joanne
    Thank you for sharing your story. This is all so new to me. A couple of months ago I noticed my hair thining on top. After a haircut I looked at the top of my head and I could see bald spots! I went to my GP and he told me to try Rogaine (prescribed 10%) and said the only other thing I could do would be a hair transplant.
    I have had a very stressful 2 years. My mom was in the hospital for 8 months and now in a care home. She has dementia along with other health problems. My dad lives a couple of minutes from me still in his own home. My mom and I were always very close, sometimes I miss her so much. I see her alot, but we just can't communicate like we used to. Also, I've been going thru menopause. I went to see an accupunture dr. and she told me I'm borderline anemic and my hormones are way out. She also said that even though my thryoid blookwork came back normal that it isn't functioned up to par. She's given me some vitamines and teas.
    I feel so down and depressed. I just became a grandmother and have 4 beautiful children, but I just can't shake this feeling. I have a good husband who is supportive. I did get a prescription for sleeping pills from the Dr. but it's so hard to get through the day. I ordered a topper but need to wait about 5-6 more weeks for it.
    Feel free to post this anywhere else, if it is better suited elsewhere.
    Thanks again.

2. maddie

maddie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Joann. I've always looked up to you since I found this site over a year ago. I'm beginning that stage of acceptance. What a relief.....But I still have my days.....Please keep posting all your positive feelings. You might think it isn't helping anybody much but it is.....

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hope, I've replied to your message on a separate post. :)

Maddie , I'm so glad to hear that you are starting on the path to accepting your loss. It's very normal to still have those days when hairloss brings you down. As time goes on it will get better I can promise you that.

Thank you so much for letting me know that my messages on the forum have helped you. I really appreciate it.

Hugs,
    Joann

4. Brittney

Brittney Guest

wow your story has brought tears to my eyes. thank you so much for sharing. hairloss is new to me and it seems so hopeless sometimes. luckily like you i have a good man in my life, but i honestly don't know what id do with out him cause hes the only one who doesn't care what my heard looks like. i wish i could think like him. i hope one day i can get to the point you're at. Have a wonderful day, you've made mine better.

5. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

What a lovely post, Joann, and what a journey to share!

I had a little bout of Alopecia Areata as a teenager, a moment of crazy shedding after one of my pregnancies, but only started losing my hair (finally, I think) about 18 months ago. Diffuse alopecia, chronic TE.

Mostly, i am fine. Mostly, I think "well, it could have been earlier! And it won't kill me!" . Occasionally, I just think how losing your hair is like ageing in fast motion and I hate it!

To have the eyebrows and lashes go is just NOT FAIR!!!!! I feel for you. But I also admire you and I know how much help you are giving people. It is wonderful. Thank you!

Martha

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Brittney & Martha, thank you so much for your kind messages. :heart: Hairloss is not easy to accept, there's a whole grieving process involved. Time and finding support helps.

Losing eyebrows and eyelashes too was even more difficult for me than my hair. My eyelashes are back the last year or so & touch wood, are staying for now. I'm enjoying having them again but realistically speaking they can go again at any time. Alopecia Areata follows no rhyme or reason.

Thanks again.

Hugs,
    Joann

7. connie

connie Guest

Thank you Joann for sharing your story with us. Truly inspiring.

8. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    Joann, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I always read this message when I feel a bit anxious and sad because of my hair loss. And I try to remember it's "just" hair :)

9. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking the time to read about my journey Kamille.

:grouphug: Joann

10. Ruth1613

Ruth1613 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad these posts are left up for so long. Four years after the original post, it was what I needed to find. I lost all of my eyebrows except the parts closest to my nose shortly after age 30. My eyelashes occasionally grow in and then fall out again. I had never made the connection to my thin hair and realize now it is all part of the same problem. I wear eyeliner and I've gotten really good at drawing in the eyebrows. So much so that a few years ago in a nail salon, the nail technician tried to talk me into an eyebrow wax, lol! Thank you for sharing and posting. My heart breaks for the child that you were, but you have made your own happy ending and thanks for helping the rest of us find ours.

11. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Ruth,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful & kind message. :heart: I really appreciate hearing that my story is a source of comfort and support to you and others. That's the very reason I wrote and shared it.

I always say that having hairloss is life altering but not life ending. Life with or without hair should still be lived & enjoyed to the fullest.

I look forward to getting to know you better. Please do continue to share and post on the forums. It really does help to do so with others who understand totally.

Joann:grouphug: