Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My Story ... No More Hair Loss, I Blame Bpa Composite Fillings

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Selene43, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Selene43

Selene43 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Long story short version: White composite fillings contain BPA and other synthetic estrogens. So does pink dental plastic. Once I removed those things, my hair grew back after 10 years of shedding and thinning.

Long story long version: I said I'd come back here and post if my hair ever got better, so here I am.

In early 2008, I had two significant things happen. In January, I went vegan and in April I had some dental work done, most significantly, I had a giant composite filling put in and my dentist also made me a bite splint out of the pink dental plastic (like dentures). The bite splint was to wear at night so I'd quit cracking my teeth from grinding them.

In August, my hair started shedding. And shedding. And shedding. I assumed it was the change to veganism, a brief bout of TE isn't uncommon after that switch, but also had a gut feeling it was the dental work. I'd had only mercury fillings up to that point and had expected the white composite to be better, health-wise.

When I started shedding, I went to the dr, who cautioned me about "protein deficiency," even though he'd never personally encountered anyone with that sort of problem.

My hair fell out in handfuls daily and it got thinner. It also got so much lighter. I used to feel it on my back and shoulders, weighing down, and it got to where it was like nothing was there. My temples got thinner, too. I loved my hair and was absolutely heartbroken. I figured I'd be in a wig very shortly. It got more and more like cotton candy and I noticed a lot of the hairs I was losing were short and thin ... so I assumed Androgenetic Alopecia miniaturized hairs and would have probably been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia if I'd gone to a dr. I did monoxidil for about 6 months, tried progesterone and bioidentical estrogen. Nothing slowed it down.

At the same time, I had a feeling there was something bad about that composite filling and the pink plastic bite splint. Even though it worked really well for my teeth, I stopped using it at some point about 5 years later. Once I did, I noticed my hair wasn't falling out quite so much. Of course, I had less hair, so figured that could be why.

White composite fillings are full of BPA, aka bisphenyl-A.BPA is a synthetic estrogen that was originally created for use as hormone replacement therapy. Two things happened then ... it was discovered that pregnant mare urine had could also be used for HRT and BPA (and similar compounds) harden plastic really well. So we got Premarin and lots of estrogenic plastic full of BPA.

So, I was still concerned about having so much BPA in my mouth even if it wasn't what caused my hair to fall out, and also had other symptoms that indicated hormonal issues. Over the course of a few years, I had my dentist replace any composites with the one brand of filling material that was genuinely free of BPA and any other synthetic estrogen (the brand is called Venus Diamond, and is different from the BPA kind but uses the same UV curing as any other ... my dentist actually prefers it now).

And wouldn't you know it, my hair improved even more. The last BPA filling was removed early last year. I had a massive shed about 3 months later. And then my hair started growing back like gangbusters. I had so much hair coming back in the new growth looked like bangs.

Today, about a year and a half later, my hair feels almost like it did pre-hair loss and pre-BPA. It's long and is still growing in, but it's *heavy* again and thicker all the way down to the ends. It had gotten so the top wasn't so bad but the ends thinned out to nothing.

I will never use BPA composite fillings again. If they cause that kind of hormonal havoc in hair they can't be good for anything else. I also try to minimize my exposure to it in other ways and use glass when I can and stay away from canned things (the cans marked "BPA free" actually have a synthetic estrogen that's even worse).

Also, my grandmother, who died last year at 103 with very thin hair, started losing her hair at age 70, which is a weird age to start with Androgenetic Alopecia. She also got dentures at age 70 ... so had a mouth full of BPA after that point.

Today, I'm 55 and my hair is almost as thick as it was before this all happened. It feels silky and smooth and denser, even though it's always been fine (just a lot of it). My hair's not quite what it was at age 25 (nothing is!) but it's still in recovery and I would not say I have hair loss now.

Just wanted to pass along my experience and maybe it will help someone else. I know how terrible it is and how helpless we feel when we start losing hair.

PS. I'm still vegan (almost 12 years) and my health is fantastic.

sunshine21, Laura Eve and TinaM1968 like this.
  2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story! So glad you came back to share. Drs are always quick to say Androgenetic Alopecia and it’s not always the case. Did you have any pattern? Like temples and side ect?

3. Selene43

Selene43 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I thinned a lot underneath and at the sides. Also my templed thinned out a lot and my crown did, too. It was pretty much all over. The overall result was that it all got thinner, each hair was thinner ... like cotton candy, and it didn't grow very long. I lost a lot of thin, short hairs.

I also think there's a lot more to female hair loss than just Androgenetic Alopecia.

4. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine thins from underneath sides and temple I also have the very front. Fringe that doesn’t grow and a spot just right behind it I agree there is a lot more to female hair loss then Androgenetic Alopecia