Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

My SUCCESS story :) Vitamin B6

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Kimber, Jun 29, 2011.

1. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

Before anyone starts taking high doses of anything, I'd definitely look up toxicity to make an informed decision about the dose you want to take.

The tolerable upper limit for b6 is 100mg per day.

2. gutermann

gutermann Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Vitamin B6 Toxicity Symptoms
    Vitamin B-6 toxicity cannot occur from eating natural foods, but it can occur from supplementing with its synthetic form, pyridoxine. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B-6 for adults is no more than 2 mg daily, but toxicity is not thought to occur until ingesting at least 100 mg daily, if not 500 mg daily, for many weeks consecutively. Some people do mega-dose pyridoxine for long enough to cause toxicity, which leads to symptoms ranging from temporarily irritating to permanent and disabling.

Nerve Irritation
    Vitamin B-6 is needed for maintaining healthy nerves and muscle cells, and aids in the production of DNA and RNA. Too much synthetic pyridoxine, however, can irritate nerves and create symptoms. The most commonly irritated nerves from pyridoxine toxicity are the smaller peripheral nerves of the hands and feet, which produce numbness in a "stocking-glove" distribution, according to the Merck Manual website. Although numbness is common, the nerve irritation does not usually affect the senses of touch, temperature or pain. Motor coordination and walking ability often remain intact, although muscle spasms or cramps may be experienced. Discontinuing pyridoxine supplementation usually reverses these symptoms within a few weeks.

Neuropathy Pain Relief First Treatment Free. Study-Proven. 90% Satisfaction. Edmonton Clinic. EdmontonNeuropathyCentre.com
    Sponsored Links
    Headaches
    Headaches from pyridoxine toxicity range from dull pain to throbbing and migraine-like. The head pain may be caused by irritation to the nerves surrounding the head, or to the nerves controlling blood flow into the head, or to the neurons within the brain. Initial overdose of pyridoxine can cause short-term hypertension, which can increase blood pressure within the head and also cause headache.

Severe Fatigue
    Severe fatigue is a common symptom of pyridoxine toxicity, often because of disrupted sleep cycles, or insomnia. Restless legs, cramps, headache and nerve irritation interferes with restful sleep. Calcium and potassium balance severely disrupts pyridoxine toxicity, which affects muscle function and endurance.

Mood Changes
    Mood disturbance is common with pyridoxine toxicity -- no doubt from the debilitating physical symptoms, more so than chemical imbalances in the brain. Depression and irritability often occur, which are common in people who suffer from chronic pain, headache, sleep disturbance and fatigue, as reported in "Professional Guide to Diseases." Stress and anxiety from progressive physical disabilities are also common and expected.

Nerve Damage
    Permanent nerve damage from severe pyridoxine toxicity is more serious than nerve irritation. In addition to numbness in the arms and legs, nerve damage affects coordination, balance, muscle strength, temperature and vibration senses and causes burning or shooting pain. Due to lack of balance, leg pains and weakness, walking may become unstable and labored. Patients with nerve damage from pyridoxine toxicity may take several months to recover once they discontinue supplementation, although some never fully recover.

Nerve Damage Remedy Homeopathic Supplement to Heal & Repair Damaged Nerves. All Natural! http://www.NativeRemedies.com
    Symptoms Dizziness Get Effective Relief From Dizziness w/ Gravol® For Kids & Adults. Gravol.ca
    Coronation Physiotherapy Have pain? Trouble moving? Get relief & your life back! http://www.coronationphysio.ca
    Diabetes symptoms OneTouch® Ultra® Meter Test Strip Don't Be Sure. Be DoubleSure™. jnjcanada.com/lifescan
    Sponsored LinksReferences
    "The Vitamins: Third Edition"; Gerald F. Combs; 2007
    Merck Manuals.com: Vitamin B-6 Toxicity Symptoms
    "Professional Guide to Diseases: Ninth Edition"; Springhouse Publishing; 2009
    "Doctor's Complete Guide to Vitamins and Minerals"; Mary Dan Eades and Philip Lief; 2002

About this Author
    Owen Bond began writing professionally in 1997. Bond wrote and published a monthly nutritional newsletter for six years while working in Brisbane, Australia as an accredited nutritionalist. Some of his articles were published in the "Brisbane Courier-Mail" newspaper. He received a Master of Science in nutrition from the University of Saskatchewan.

Article reviewed by Tina Boyle | Last updated on: 11/25/10

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/31788 ... z1RcOFAZvu

3. Kimber

Kimber Guest

Thanks for the article!! Good information! I think if you are deficient in B6, and start taking supplements you'll know, because you'll either start to feel better or there'll be no change at all. My headaches I used to get have gone away, and I have more energy than ever now! If you notice no change, you might want to stop taking them and just try a multivitamin with a lower dose. (the only actual B6 supplement in my town has 100 mg and it says to take one daily)

However I encourage you to do some researching with a multivitamin because certain vitamins shouldn't be taken together as they interfere with effectiveness (ie. calcium and iron) and some vitamins need to be taken on an empty stomach and some don't.

I think it also depends on how many things in your environment draw on the B6, like in the link that SabrinaLouise posted

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C77232.html

If you have some of these things drawing down your b6 stores (like birth control pills) you might need more than the 2 mg that you get from a multi vitamin. Just a thought.

4. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

Are those all recommended dosages for the TOTAL amount of Vitamin B one takes a day? What if you're taking many different kinds of Vitamin B?
    Don't we just piss out the excess amounts?

Thanks for the repost of the link, Kimber. It's useful; you just fill out the questionairre and there's suggestions of what supplements to take.

I've been taking the B complex (which also contains Vitamin C) and I stopped feeling sore and achy everywhere. I used to take b12 and c separately and notice less shed. Maybe it's all in my head that it's helping (even if it's texture-wises) but I even got a compliment on my hair today (this is when 2 weeks ago, I was scrapping up money since I thought I'd need supplemental hair soon) :crazy:

5. Kimber

Kimber Guest

Hey I think as long as you're taking under 100 mg of B6 you'll probably be ok. I thought you pissed out all the extra too, that's what my doctor told me, but who knows? I'm glad you're aches and pains started going away, mine did too! I had aches and pains and headaches and gutaches that I thought were normal, until I started taking the B complex and felt like a million bucks :) I really hope it helps you! Those are the dosages for just B6. I don't think any of the other ones are toxic since they are water soluble. Could be wrong though. I don't think you can overdose on B12 very easily. I have lots in my blood, but the doctor told me that the blood count doesn't matter as much as what's in your bone marrow. I did not know this before.

6. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Prairie Naturals and Jamieson brands aren´t easily found in the US.

Does anyone take a US brand vitamin B complex that is comparable in dosage to what Kimber takes?

7. Kimber

Kimber Guest

8. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Thanks. I still haven´t found anything similar in the US.

9. Hi, Marsen.

I take the brand Bluebonnet Stress B-Complex:

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 Capsules
    Servings Per Container: 50
    Amount Per Serving % DV
    Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) 1000 mg 1667%
    Vitamin B-1 (thiamin mononitrate) 50 mg 3333%
    Vitamin B-2 (riboflavin) 50 mg 2941%
    Vitamin B-3 (niacinamide) 100 mg 500%
    Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine HCl) 50 mg 2500%
    Folate (folic acid) 400 mcg 100%
    Vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 250 mcg 4165%
    Biotin 100 mcg 33%
    Pantothenic Acid (calcium D-pantothenate) 250 mg 2500%
    Choline Bitartrate 100 mg *
    Inositol 100 mg *
    PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 50 mg *

HTH :)

10. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Thanks so much! :) Where do you get it?

11. Marsen

Marsen Guest

EDITED:

I did some researching and it´s safe to take up to 100 mg of B6 daily. After that, some people have reported nerve damage, sometimes permanent. These people look 150+ mgs of B6 for at least a year before experiencing negative side effects.

As far as B12, I found no evidence that megadoses can be harmful.

To be safe, check with your doctor.

12. titan36

titan36 Guest

I think this is one of the best things I have heard on such issues! Please keep us posted. I didn't try Vitamin B. Let me know more about it. Thanks to all.

13. Susanne

Susanne Guest

Thanks for posting this Kimber!

I have started taking a Vitamin B-complex today. It is from Swanson Vitamins and is called Balance B-50. It has 50 mg of Vitamin B6 and 50 mcg of Vitamin B12 .

I will report back in 30 days. :)

14. Marsen

Marsen Guest

I had to stop taking these. They messed up my stomach really bad. Best to eat the foods that contain these vitamins:

Vitamin B6:

Chicken, turkey, beef, and pork
    Cod, salmon, halibut, trout, tuna and snapper
    Chickpeas, lentils, soybeans and kidney beans
    Peanuts, sunflower seeds, cashews and hazelnuts

Vitamin B12:

Liver, beef, turkey and pork
    Clams, oysters, caviar, octopus, crab, lobster and mussels
    Mackerel, herring, salmon, tuna, cod, sardines, trout
    Eggs
    Swiss cheese

15. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
  16. Kimber

Kimber Guest

Looking forward to hearing back from you :)

17. sarah83

sarah83 Guest

I've been taking 50mg of Vitamin B6 daily but would like to know if that is a safe dosage. I looked up Vitamin B6 toxicity on google and found a post by someone that had a B6 level of 958 nmol/l (in a reference range of 40-100) while only taking 25mg from a multivitamin. The toxicity side effects seem to be really scary (potential permanent nerve damage) so I just want to make sure I'm being safe about it.

Also, congrats on your success! It's nice to see someone with a positive story. :jump:

18. raindrop

raindrop Guest

I recently read somewhere that B6 could increase testerone levels in men. Unsure if this is also the case for women?????

Therefore, you may want to do more research on this before you start taking this. Just google b6 and testerone.

19. WittsEnd

WittsEnd Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kimber, where did you fine 2% Nizoral? all I have seen is 1%

20. sarah83

sarah83 Guest

I believe Vitamin B6 is supposed to increase progesterone levels in women. That's why many women that are trying to conceive take extra Vitamin B6.

I'm not 100% sure though.