Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Need a waterproof concealer...help!

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by uofagirl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. uofagirl

uofagirl Guest

Just found out that I'm going boating in a couple of weeks and need suggestions for a concealer. I'll be spending a lot of time in the water(wakeboarding, tubing, etc) so I need something that holds up well. I've been using Toppik for some time now and hate how it looks when it gets a bit wet(starts to look uneven and obviously fades a little). I'll also be expected to go out to bars/clubs during my vacation so anything that doesn't look crazy in those lighting conditions would be nice as well. Any ideas??

2. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

this is a tough one, i use fullmore thickening spray but i know when it gets real wet it can not look as well, its good in different lighting though unlike ive read the toppik can glow in certain lights

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can you do your self up with scarves and hats? I have no idea what wouldn't run except maybe some kind of water proof mascara????

4. uofagirl

uofagirl Guest

What about Dermmatch? Or the QVC concealer? I don't think a scarf or hat will really work, especially in the water.

5. hairyape

hairyape Guest

The QVC get a bit gloppy in humid weather, I've noticed.

6. hairyape

hairyape Guest

But, let me add that my head sweats -- a lot. It doesn't run though, but if you touch it, and it's gloppy, it could be unpleasant.

7. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

everybody's hair looks like crap after swimming, etc... can you bring along a ball cap and use that when in the boat? I see alot of women do that...

8. uofagirl

uofagirl Guest

Well, since I'm using Toppik and I know that probably won't last in the water for long, is there a better product that I should get just to make it a tiny bit better. I was actually thinking of wearing a swim cap and coming up with a good excuse. Then I realized how much more attention I would draw to my hair and nicked that idea. Maybe I'll try a more water-resistent concealer and just pop a cap on as soon as I get out of the water.

9. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tell us if you figure anything out! Can you wear a swim cap and just tell people you recently colored you hair and want to protect it -from the water and the sun?

10. uofagirl

uofagirl Guest

Will do! I ordered Dermmatch and will give it a test run before I go on my trip. I just think being on the lake and wearing a swim cap will look silly(and draw more questions and stares). It'd be a lot more "normal" if it was a swimming pool. Anyways, hopefully things will work out alright. Thanks for the suggestions!

11. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My color fades amazingly much being outside- and in water it is kind of like washing it out more quickly.

Don't you wish it was the 1950's when girls ALWAYS wore swim caps. My favorite was one with daisies on it- kind of a 3-D effect.

12. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Those are still available for purchase in Vermont Country Store catalogue!!

13. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know - seeing them brought back memories. And in Girl Scout camp we had color coded swim caps to show how good a swimmer you were and who should or shouldn't be in the deep part of the lake!

14. delilah

delilah Guest

Oh I hated those caps the water would get trapped in your ears...remember how much they pulled your hair out when you took them off??? Now when I see them I think synchronized swimming LOL.

15. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi,

Just a thought here. Swim caps aren't so bad. It will allow you to get wet, splashed on w/out worrying if someone is looking at your scalp/hairline. What about a bandana to put over it? They're cheap and cute,too. You can change them easily enough.

Moviegirl