Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

need advice

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by aries, Aug 26, 2008.

1. aries

aries Guest

My daughter was put on Junel (loestrin) for severe cramps. It did help. I read that Junel is bad for the hair and had her doctor switch her to Desogen in December. The last 8 months of being on desogen her hair has thinned a lot. The doctor says it's not related. The derm says that desogen can cause hair loss and I should switch her. I have read that Yaz and Yasmin can cause hair loss. Desogen is suppose to be good, however she has lost a lot of hair. I'm afraid of changing because of the hormonal shifts. I was advised not to stop her from taking the pill. If she stopped all together, would her hair come back?

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dr Redmond's book has Desogen in the top tier of pills as non androgenic although Yaz and Yasimin are the top two. It is impossible to know whether hair will come back but she is so young it seems like her chances would be good.

3. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

is she shedding??
    If you shed on a pill or thin on one, you should switch. Has she tried Yasmin????

4. aries

aries Guest

bunnyheather - She has not tried Yasmin. It just seems that since the which to desogen her hair has become worse. I know it's not good to keep switching, but her gyno called me today and said that yasmin and desogen have different progesterones and that she didn't think switching would make it worse. She thought it would either stay the same or get better. I hope she right!

5. aries

aries Guest

deede - Yasmin contains drospirenone and desogen contains desogestrel. They are both synthetic progestogen. I know Dr. Redmond says yasmin because it is equal to about 25 mg. of Spironolactone. I'm so afraid to switch her and have a dred shed or worse. I don't know if its better to leave well enough alone. She actually did better with the loestrin fe. That's suppose to be worse for you than anything.

6. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Aires

I doubt it could get much worse if it is already very bad.. I think its worth a try! We have to try EVERYTHING, right?

HUGS

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used loestrin for years and years and think that might have set this in motion.

8. aries

aries Guest

bunnyheather - that is what I was thinking

Deede - I was on loestrin for years too :(