Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

need help -shaved part of my head

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by hairscared, Nov 1, 2009.

1. hairscared

hairscared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    errr.... I had to shave the top of my head yesterday and I am having some issues with my scalp. I am in terrible pain and have these welts and rash all over the top of my head, I can't tape on my hair now, what do I do? Burning real bad... did this yesterday around 3 in the afternoon...
    I signed up for some other forums that deal with baldness, but I am not getting help fast enough...
    anyone please???
    hugs,
    hairscred and now bald scared...

2. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Did you shave your head with a wet razor or a set of hair clippers?

It sounds like you have got a case of razor burn! When I have shaved my head in the past, I used clippers and I did get some razor bumps from it. When I used a wet razor to remove some baby hair that grows really low on my neck, I got the razor bumps, pain and redness. I just applied a light anti-septic cream to it and it went away after a while. Your skin on your scalp is sensitive and not used to being shaved so it can take a while to build up resistance to it.

3. Swan

Swan Guest

Do you have agood moisturizer at hand? I used to use Cliniques Dramatic Difference after hair removal on my body and it always worked. Put some on your scalp?

4. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Apply rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball. Works for me! :punk:

5. medusa

medusa Guest

Hi hairscared,
    I've been thinking about you and wondering how the Fall was going these days? Are you getting more used to it? Did you shave so you could use tape rather than the clips?

Also, I was wondering if you were shedding a lot? I think I have diffuse alopecia areata, like you, and my shed is horrendous! The worst it's ever been. Now I see it all over my clothes when that never really was an issue before. I guess I'm just wondering if you still have enough hair to hold the clips of your Fall?

6. so-lost

so-lost Guest

:agree: What was the shaving for? I thought before you had said you didn't want to shave. Are things not going well? Your post didn't sound as perky as you usually are. I've been thinking about you...

7. BGDL

BGDL Guest

Ice. Put a bag of frozen vegetables ( keep in the bag...peas or corn conform well) on your head to take the inflammation and pain down. Repeat every hour for a while if you can.

Keep clean and apply a broad spectrum anti-septic/anitbiotic ointment to reduce chance of infection. Keep any eye on it getting more nasty or if it looks more inflamed/worse.

Sounds like it could be a case of a dull blade or too little shave gel/shave cream.

thea

8. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    I ended up using some aloe gel and that got rid of the pain and rash.
    My clips dug into my head day in and day out and one day I didn't wear my hair on a thread and the clip caused some bleeding, under my Flora fall and the blood went right into my eye ( in front of company)... The thread thing works for supporting the clip but it was rubbing off my hair.
    My hair is very thin and fragile. Its getting worse and I don't know why.
    So I had no choice but to shave an area that I could use tape on.
    I used a new bic razor- dumb idea... I guess I should have used a razor. I just ordered a pretty pink 'peanut razor' on amazon.

I am not able to get any of the clips on the fall to grip my hair. Not a single clip grabs so I guess its bc I don't have much hair- I thought the fall was too big but I think it's bc my hair is too thin...

I don't know if its my hair, or the fall and I don't know who to ask. I don't know what kind of hair system I need for this kind of loss.

I am very sad and this is a really hard time for me...
    I posted some pics, 2 show my current hair loss and one shows the area I shaved... I ended up going back in and shaving more. I won't post pics of it, but you'll get the idea from this one..
    hugs,
    hairscared

Attached Files:

9. BGDL

BGDL Guest

This is a rough patch, but hang in there. It will get better. OK?

A few thoughts: try to get a diagnosis from a dermatologist as to whether this is perhaps alopecia areata or if it's possbly acute lichen planopilaris. In the second case you would want to know right away and start treatmemt.

Reduce the stress on the hair in the short term. Can you get some very wide stretchy hairbands ( tznius.com or your local accessories store) and wear it over the front of your hair. It's actually a popular look now and will cover up a great deal where the bare areas are. Or since we're into fall season, would some seasonal slouchy beret work for you?

Or get a temporary (synthetic or inexpensive HH ) full wig that requires no clips or tape..also to reduce the stress of tugging on hair right now.

thea

10. so-lost

so-lost Guest

((((hs))))

Oh, hs, I'm so sorry. I've cried so much for myself but now I'm crying for you. It's so easy to read posts or see pics from others here and believe they're doing "great" with all this. I knew your recent posts didn't sound the same.

This is so damn hard. I just don't know what to say. This hair loss takes away so much of our confidence.

On the good side, you are just as beautiful as we all knew you were and your ears look fabulous!

I don't have any topper/wig advice to give, I'm sure others will. But know I'm praying for you. Please keep us posted.

11. medusa

medusa Guest

Oh, hairscared. I am so sorry. I feel terribly. I thought the Fall was going to be your solution. I'm so sorry it's not working out.

I know you've lost a lot of hair, but I agree with Thea that you could probably get by with a wide headband or a cool slouchy hat. Overall, you look like you still have a decent amount of density. You have so much more hair than I do that I'm to the point of wearing mine in a ponytail, and clip in hair to add fullness to the pony, with one of these hats.

Would it help to talk to Flora to see if she has any suggestions? Can she change your Fall into a wig? This all just sucks so bad. I'm crying with you.

12. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

can you put a little hair spray on the existing hair to make it somewhat "tacky"? I've heard that clips hold better in hair that has some sort of styling agent added to it.

I know you are upset, and feeling down, you have every right... but I want you to know that you have an absolutely beautiful face and remarkable bone structure... so even if you shaved it all off... IMHO you would totally rock the bald look... (((hugs)))

13. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

In the future, try witch hazel for razor burn. Use it right after shaving and it will help a lot. Also there is a lotion called coochie cream (it's for shaving the coochie, but will work anywhere). I'm so sorry you are going through this, hairscsared. I'm not in supplemental hair yet, but am heading in that direction fast. With all the stress I am under right now, I'm shedding an incredible amount. I have a topper, which i just can't get to match my hair texture (curly) and I can't get it to look natural on my head. I think I'll just get a full wig and forget about the stupid clips, matching, etc.

14. Vlal

Vlal Guest

:agree:

There are lots of stylish looks you can achieve without replicating hair - scarves, fabric hair bands, hats. These will be nice and soft on your scalp and kind on your hair whilst you figure out what is going on.

15. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    thank you everyone for your kind words. It means a lot to me.

I am able to tape on my Flora hair thank god... My rash is almost gone, I just have a little cut that the clips made that needs to heal.

I can't believe how much more secure the piece feels with tape.

I know head bands and scarfs are an option.
    I guess I better look into getting some. Thank you Thea for that link.
    Its just I did the scarfs, headbands and hats for so long and I was so excited to be out of them... I know its temporary, until I figure out what to do... but its just more reminder of my hair loss. I have to wear a headband to bed now...
    When I have my Flora hair on my head I am so much happier.

My hair loss is weird, if you were to separate the hair that you see going into the pony or the hair that is under the pony you'd see the same bald spots you see on the sides. There is no hair underneath that top hair... That is why my clips can't grab, bc there is no hair underneath...

I am going to push some of the hair in the back out of the way and try taping on the fall. I think this will work.

hugs,
    hs

16. BGDL

BGDL Guest

This looks like it could possibly by alopecia areata... so if it is, thinking of trying some Kenalog injections into the spots to jump start regrowth is a first treatment to try.

Remembering that going back to headbands is just temporary will make it easier to ride out the rough patch. And being able to mix it up with hair some parts of the day will be a much needed relief. It feels good to have nothing the the head as much as it's fun to look in the mirror and see yourself whole with something on the head.

Hang in there.

thea

17. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi BGDL,
    yes this is Alopecia Areata, I saw Dr. Vera Price in San Fran.
    She knew right away what it was and she said its progressed way to much for any treatments. If you read any of her research you'll see she's not big on any of the treatments out there when the loss is at this level. Actually she's not big on any of the treatments for Alopecia Areata period. On a wide range - research doesn't support the treatments available at this time. again for Alopecia Areata... there are always variables in everything though. and if one person can get their hair back from what out there its worth it...
    My loss is diffuse Alopecia Areata and while it looks like hair in some spots its really not, there is no hair under any of the top hairs , my whole head looks like the sides only difference is the sides lost their top hairs and the others haven't lost them yet... but they are going and then I will look like I do on the sides soon.

I am going to order some headbands right now.
    ....you are part of the bald girls do lunch, do you shave ?
    if so what'd I do wrong to cause all this pain and welts with rash?
    thanks for your help and to everyone on here thanks for your help.
    It means a lot to me.
    hugs,
    hs

18. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hairscared- I too am having some issues with clips- for a while i barely felt them- now I do, and I think there is less hair to grab so I feel like I have to tighten the topper frequently. The straight topper has fewer of these issues probably because its lighter

19. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi eco,
    I am sorry the clips are bugging you too.
    I hope you don't have to shave, but I want tell everyone the topper feels so way much better with the tape. I can't tell I have it on.

Flora is helping me so much, she is sending me some tape tabs and better holding tape.
    She's pretty amazing. I mean I bought my topper some time ago and she hears about my problems and calls to offer help..
    She's better then having a mom!

She said that sometimes you don't even have to shave - you can tape using the existing bald spots so I hope I can use my bald areas and tape the side and back down of the topper. BC like you the clips don't grab....

I think it was Robin who mentioned using some hair product and the clips could grab better. I think that is a good idea and worth trying...
    teasing kinda works, little braids would help too...

Anyway I like the tape, I hate having no hair on my head and my husband seeing this ugly mess. This is a hurdle to be sure.
    I am using the Jess Simp bang thing to sleep in. It works, I have to use bobby pins to attach it and why would that be,,, BC I haven't got any hair now on top!

hugs,
    hs

20. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

First question, which i see has been aske,d is what did you use.

skin can be sensitive, ESPECIALLY face/scalp skin.

There's a certain shaving cream i can't use cause i get a rash, or razor burn.

when i was shaving my head, i used clippers, then razor to get the rest. I never had a problem, look at what you used, shaving cream, maybe try a different one, if you used a razor, what type? simple disposable? ugh, try something else, good razor? mabye try clippers.