Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

need help -shaved part of my head

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by hairscared, Nov 1, 2009.

1. hairscared

hairscared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi rayneStorm love that- has a Indian feel)
    Yeah I did the shave wrong.
    I used a very cheap disposable razor- New but not quality.
    I used my husbands neutrgena shav crm...
    I didn't hot pack my scalp to begin with...
    Well I learned... I ordered a cute little palm elec razor called the peanut.
    I will try that next time...
    I knew I did it wrong, what I needed was help in cleaning up the mess...
    My poor little head was a mess. Nice big welts and a rash- this didn't appear for several hours later.. Oh and I taped the topper right away to my head minutes after the shave which didn't help!
    I wanted to cover it all up as quickly as possible....
    I actually had a experienced head shaver help me through this and I didn't follow her instructions closely... I got no one to blame but me myself and I!!!

The whole thing is a nightmare and the worse part of it all wasn't the injuries it was the emotional injuries that has had been the worse part... the tapeing feels way better then the clips though...
    hair loss sucks..
    hugs,
    hs

Its all headed up now

2. BGDL

BGDL Guest

Hi Hairscared..

It sounds like things are getting more manageable..so glad that they are. There's no road map for this condition..lots of learning on the job.

My last round of hairloss is very similar to yours...diffuse Alopecia Areata over such a wide area that intralesional injections were no longer effective. I hung onto the hair as it was going going gone only because I didn't know what else to do.......and then came to realize it was far better to shave off the remnants and have a unique style and "look" rather than be in limbo with no style at all. Had never met nor talked to anyone else with Alopecia Areata when I was first diagnosed. I felt alone in a land where I didn;t know the language nor any of the social rules. How far the internet has brought us and brought us together like never before.

I learned some razor lessons the hard way, too. No cheap razors and no cheap blades. I have a few straggler hairs cropping up here and there. I surfed around on the bald guy sites and found and love the headblade.com product and use their gel too; but any high quality shaving gel works well. I have a discount code from their marketing department for BGDL..just send me an email.

It gets easier the more we just hang on and go for the ride!

Thea
    baldgirlsdolunch.org

3. HS-

You are a gorgeous woman and a really awesome person- bald spots or not.

4. brandy32

brandy32 Guest

I agree! :agree: :jump: :jump:

5. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    :agree: too

6. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    again thank you so much...
    Thank you Joann!
    You guys are great.
    hugs,
    rebecca
    ( I got my cute little peanut shaver today, its small and looks like its
    going to be good at not shaving more hair then I want.
    I am still going to get the razor BGDL mentioned, that is also small and I think its going to give a closer shave...)

7. LadyBug

LadyBug Guest

Hi hairscared,
    I'm glad things are going a little better for you and that you like the taping method. I wear a topper with clips right now but am very curious about using tape. I would love to know what tape your using and whether or not you think it does a good job of keeping it secure?

Thanks & Hugs,
    LadyBug

8. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lady bug,
    I hope you don't have to shave hair off, but if the clips are really bad then maybe you should.
    Shocking as this statement is - its true,... I don't regret shaving. The topper not only feels better, its way more secure and it looks way more real at the hairline. Its like its growing out of my head.
    So all this is great. I hate that at night time if I don't have the topper on I have this big ugly shaved spot. I won't go around like that. I am putting on the Jess Simp fringe bang to cover it up and that is working perfect. Its small and comfy and looks ok...

Now the tape that I am using is red tape, I bought it a few years ago to tape clothing down, or bra straps.
    Its the same tape they use for attaching hair pieces and it holds really really well. Its hard to get the topper off at night.

They make even stronger tape that stays on for weeks but I need to take this thing off at night. If I had a short hair topper or fall I might actually leave it on for a couple of weeks at a time.
    But that would be to hard on this long hair.

I have attached a pic of the tape I use. The red tape is good for daily removal of hair piece. ( I guess, I am still pretty new to the tape thing)

Hugs,
    hs

Attached Files:

9. BGDL

BGDL Guest

That's the same red tape I use for everything...wigs and especially clothes.

I buy it in bulk from wilshirewigs.com . Join their mailing list for valuable wig and accessories sales.

Just checked the price. The pre-packaged bags of 36 strips are regular price $3.75 at Wilshirewigs.com now. And you can also use only partof a strip if entire 1 x 3" is too much.

thea
    baldgirlsdolunch.org

10. MarshaMarsha

MarshaMarsha Guest

Hope this will make you feel a little more optimistic....In May my h/l was alot like yours is now, all over my head...but suddenly out of the blue it started growing back (after I had shaved it all off) and now I have complete coverage! Unfortunately it's nowhere near as thick as it was last year this time, and it's very gray and/or white, but an added bonus - it's CURLY and my hair was never curly before....

I wish, like all of us here, that this was just a bad nightmare and I'd wake up with the hair I had before all of this started, but I guess that just ain't happening. So we just have to play out the hand dealt us, and do what we've got to do to get through it.

Hugs.

MM

11. LadyBug

LadyBug Guest

Hi hairscared

Thanks for sharing what tape you use. I'm glad to hear that it's nice and secure. I'm clueless when it comes to taping or gluing but I'm seriously thinking about going that route and taping sounds easier than gluing. I also hate taking my topper off at night. My husband is very supportive and tells me I'm beautiful and he doesn't mind my hair but I still like to try and hide it from him. When I'm not wearing my topper I usually put on a hat or a scarf so he doesn't have to see it. I like to avoid seeing my bio hair as much as possible.

12. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Oh Lady bug,
    I know this is so hard. I feel the same way about my husband looking at my head. i can't stand looking at my head either.

I am here if you need any help.
    Hugs,
    rebecca

13. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

Ladybug, here are some suggestions from some older posts: If you want to tape without shaving, use Got to B Glued spiking gel (in yellow tube). It flattens the bio hair to the head and allows you to tape directly onto the hair. Allow it to dry completely before taping. It dries hard, not sticky, so tape sticks well. To remove, use 91% alcohol on a Q-tip or an adhesive removing agent (wig shop or site) and remove tape from hair first allowing it to remain on topper. Remove tape carefully and slowly from hair so you don't pull any out applying alcohol with the q-tip, removing a little at a time. Then remove tape from topper. Rinse hair well and wash normally to remove gel from hair. Hope this helps.

14. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Hairscared - if you find it hard to remove the topper from the tape at night, break the bond with some 99% alcohol or a solvent like lace release or C22. It will prevent the hair from being pulled out of the topper.

15. LadyBug

LadyBug Guest

curlylocks
    Thanks so much for the suggestions on taping without shaving. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before trying it and you all have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

LadyBug