Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Need help with new topper

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by kthairloss, Dec 30, 2013.

1. kthairloss

kthairloss Guest

I'm at the point where I need to start wearing a topper. I'm scared to death to wear it to work. I've been wearing it around the house and out for errands for a week or so now, and I'm thinking of going back to work next week with it on...

Mine is a synthetic topper, and it seems to get very staticky. What do you do to combat that? Also, I'm scared to brush it too much, but it seems to need it pretty often. Does anyone have tips for a beginner on how to care for these things and make the best of this situation?

Thanks so much.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a HH topper so can't help with the synthetic part but as far as wearing to work for the first time, I'd suggest that you have an idea of what you will say when others comment. I told the truth as far as it went - I started seeing a new stylist who did a much better job of cutting and coloring my hair. I kind of wish I'd said something like "I have a genetic issue that hasn't been kind to my hair and sometimes you have to give Mother Nature a little help."

3. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    believe it or not, take a dryer sheet like bounce and rub it on the wig. its a miracle for static. i just told ppl saw in passing that just blew me a compliment that i got my hair done. if they asked where i would say a friend i know. if anyone that actually seemed interested, or dug deep i would mention that i have "hairpieces" for thickness because my natural hair is thin. technically none off it is lying, yet Your only giving them what they need to know

4. kthairloss

kthairloss Guest

Thanks for the replies. Saw the dermatologist yesterday and I'm going to postpone the topper for a little while longer while I try Spironolactone and propecia. We'll see. I do appreciate the helpful tips. I will be wearing it eventually, I'm sure.