Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Need some help/advice for those who have gone to Flora

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Mom2Cuties, May 17, 2010.

1. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to plan my trip to see her. She suggested flying to Newark but the price difference for me is huge (not being able to fly Southwest). So I need to go through LaGuardia. I have never been to NY/NJ.

I've read that you can take a bus from the airport to her, but can anyone fill me in on the details? I spoke with her a little while ago and she sounds very busy with her vacation starting tomorrow.

Do I take a cab to Port Authority and then a bus from there to Teaneck? Does it drop off close to her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eztli

Eztli Guest

LaGuardia is in queens, taking a cab from there into midtown manhattan would be very expensive. Already you are racking up the difference in flight prices. There is however a shuttle (provided by Columbia University I believe) that will take you to Grand Central. From there you can take the cross-town bus (M42 I believe) or the 7 train to Port Authority. Or, if you are feeling so inclined, you can walk, (though its a bit of a hike). From Port Authority you can take a bus to Teaneck.

You said you have never been to NY though, doing all that would be a major hassle, and potentially very upsetting to you. Paying extra for the flight might be worth it.

3. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Her vacation starts tomorrow? I thought it was next week :(
    Do you know when she'll be back?

4. Is Flora Jewish? Because Shavu'ot starts tomorrow and ends Thursday at Sundown.

5. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, tomorrow through the 22nd.

SO much to think about!

6. trying

trying Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what the difference in price is to fly into Newark, but Flora's shop is maybe 16 miles from Newark Airport and it would be MUCH cheaper to get there from Newark Airport. New Jersey Transit is an excellent site that can help you out on using the public transit system. There is a bus that drops off about .07 miles from her shop.
    Use the trip planner.
    http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet. ... HomePageTo

If you take a taxi from Newark Airport to Flora's, it will cost somewhere around $70.00 unless the price of gas keeps going up.

Flying into LaGuardia will require much more planning to get to her shop, and for the first time visitor to New York, it could be daunting, although done.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/

Good Luck

7. nocturne

nocturne Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I went to see her about a year ago, and I took the subway to Port Authority. Then I took the bus to Teaneck. I can't remember which bus number it is, but I think Flora or her husband told me. It takes about 1/2 an hour and drops you off 5 or 6 blocks from Flora's shop. It's sounds more complicated than it is. I can't remember how much the bus cost, but it couldn't have been very much.

8. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your input!

The difference in price...if I flew to LaGuardia I could fly SW Airlines for around $200 round trip. I could fly in early in the morning and fly out late that night.

If I go to Newark, I can't fly SW. All of the other airlines are significantly higher....at least $400. If I tried to fly in and out the same day the price jumps up even more....$600 or so. So I would probably need to stay the night which adds the cost of a hotel.

I just did a search and found something called SuperShuttle. They pick you up at the airport and drive you in a shuttle van to your destination. To Port Authority it is $15 each way....
    I also found the New York Airport Shuttle which will charge $21 round trip. Now, I need to figure out Port AUthority.

9. Are you going to see Flora to get your topper cut? Or do you just want to look at the toppers? I thought maybe there was just one uncut topper to choose from that would need to be professionally cut for style. If you are not going there to get a topper cut, have you thought about haveing a topper shipped to you so you do not have to fly there? You have 48 hours to return it.

10. That's what I'm doing...she sent one out yesterday...and if I like it - I might have my own stylist here cut it... vs shipping it back to be cut 'without' me 'in it'.... not sure how it would blend with my bio hair that way....

She's sending one... it may or may not work.. I can at least feel it and tell her to go lighter or darker or less hair or whatever... If we can't get it right after two attempts I'll consider going there....

11. trying

trying Member

Dislikes Received:
    Use the NJ Transit website and plan your trip from the Port Authority to Flora's. It will even give you walking directions from the bus drop off point to Flora's. The Port Authority is HUGE, so give yourself some extra time to figure out where you bus is departing from. The public transit system between New York and New Jersey is a great and cheap way to commute.

12. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone for your input! I ended up booking through the Newark airport. I can't wait!

Now I will start looking into NJ transit.