Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Need to talk about testing

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by mary anne, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mary anne

mary anne Guest

I have had Alopecia Areata for about 18 years now. It wasn't bad enough to wear a wig until about 6 years ago. I wore a wig from 2000 til 2004, then had complete regrowth only to loose 75% of it 4 months ago. I have no idea what started my shedding, or my regrowth for that matter. My question is, do you think I would benefit from getting all the hormone, etc testing done or is that mostly for Androgenetic Alopecia? I had thyroid cancer more than 10 years ago, so I don't have a thyroid and I have been on Synthroid .2 mg since that time. I know no one has all the answers, but I just wonder if I should see someone to get all this testing done? Thanks

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Maryanne, :)

It wouldn't hurt to have bloodwork done to see if there is anything else going on besides the Alopecia Areata. Some of us with Alopecia Areata also have other autoimmune conditions as well. In my own case I have 2 other autoimmune conditions : hypothyroidism & most recently Sjogren's Syndrome. I alos tested high on the rheumatoid factor but so far I don't have too many symptoms with that.

Knowing about these conditions has not really helped my hair to grow back but at least I have answers as to why I feel the way I do sometimes.

I see an immunologist every 6 months and she does bloodwork at that time to make sure nothing has changed.

I have had Alopecia Areata since I was 4 and I'm 54 now. Even though my hair was never what it had been when it fell out at 4 at least I had hair for many years. My Alopecia Areata flared up at 40 after a long remission and by 50 I was AT. My brows and lashes were the next to go and that had never happened to me before. I have been Alopecia Universalis for about 2 years though I still have a bit of hair where I don't need it (underarms & pubic :roll: )

Hope this helps. Take care. Hugs. Joann

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Mary Anne,
    Do you mind me asking how old were you when you had your 1st episode with Alopecia Areata? Do you have any other auto immune problems?

4. mary anne

mary anne Guest

I was 35 when I had my very first episode of Alopecia Areata. It was a small patch just above my ear. I had surgery for breast cancer in Jan. and the Alopecia Areata started that Summer. It's been so long, it's hard for me to remember how long it was after that spot grew back and the next one started. It was never bad enough to wear a wig until about 6 years ago. It had always just been a spot or two at a time. Don't know what happened. No, I have no other immune disorders.