Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

neograft

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by colline, May 11, 2010.

1. colline

colline Guest

I was doing some research on hair transplants and wondered if you gals can help me:

1) any of you experienced a hair transplant in the uk
    2) have you heard of neograft it looks really good as there is no scaring well smaller scaring then the other strip method
    3) can anyone post or pm me with the results of a hair transplant

I am thinking that after 15 - 20 years of this Androgenetic Alopecia and no real reason why it happens plus i tried vitamins hair topics snake oils. castor oil and olive oil, alpercin. minoxdil and laser comb there must be something that works and a hair transplant could be the way forward.

I will have to save so what do you gals think i should do - ideas and mentoring welcome!

2. angel706

angel706 Guest

OK, so it looks like Neograft is very similar to FUE, which some US transplant docs have been doing for the past several years. I forget the name of the doctor in the NY area who's been doing FUEs, but I do remember that the cost per FU is higher than traditional strip-method. If money is no object for you, it might be worth the higher expense to avoid having a larger wound in the back of your head that has to heal. Of course, that being said, with a Neograft you would have many, many TINY wounds in the back of your head that would be healing. They just wouldn't require stitches.

As someone with Androgenetic Alopecia who had a traditional strip-method transplant 4 years ago and who now is under a topper anyway, I'm not exactly singing the praises of hair transplantation. I was considered an EXCELLENT candidate, as my loss was in the temples only...my Androgenetic Alopecia is following a pattern more like a male pattern with receding hairline/temples.

While I did end up with a pretty decent transplant result for the money (probably about 30 hairs/cm2 in the temples...what I'd call thin coverage) it wasn't enough to keep me out from under supplemental hair in the long run. The reason for this is that it did nothing to halt the progression of my decline in hair texture all around the front hairline...that has turned more and more into "cotton-candy" hair, especially in the past 2 years.

If your loss is more of the typical Androgenetic Alopecia pattern...diffuse thinning throughout the top and crown...I would run, run, run far away from ANY transplant surgeon who says he/she can give you good results. The reason being that women generally suffer worse "shock loss" than do men...that is, the hairs surrounding the transplant areas can temporarily fall out. If those hairs are healthy, as in not affected by miniaturization already, they'll grow back within several months. But if those surrounding hairs are already undergoing the miniaturization process...well, there's less chance they'll return. Basically, you could end up with no net gain.

I think the reason why so many men are pleased with hair transplants is that they are happy with the thin coverage they end up with. For them, hair is not their "crowning glory"...it doesn't have to be full, lustrous and thick, they're just happy with thin coverage where there was none before. ALSO, they are able to take Propecia to halt further loss...you'll find very few doctors willing to prescribe that medication to women because of the risk of serious birth defects if they get pregnant while on it.

In short, due to my experience I strongly advise AGAINST hair transplants for the majority of women. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear...but you did ask for mentoring, and I can't in good conscience tell you otherwise.

In hindsight, I wish I had used the money I spent on hair transplantation as my "supplemental hair fund" instead.

Best wishes!