Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Nervous To Shave Head & Transition To Lace (bonding) Wigs

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by azie16, Jan 8, 2018.

1. azie16

azie16 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am a 37 year old female, began loosing hair when I was 15. Noticeable by early 20's. Tried everything from rogain, hair transplant, extensions, micro extensions and more before I was diagnosed at 27 with Androgenetic Alopeica. I began wearing topper at 28 and that worked until my hair got so fine and thin and there was no hair for the clips to hold onto. At 37 I had to resort to wearing full wigs. Its been a huge challenge, getting the right fit, cut, and still not comfortable wearing them. I currently wear full wigs that are not bonded (glued or taped to my head).
    Here is my issue. I will have to shave my head eventually to make wearing wigs easier, and also because dating is hard hiding my balding head. I look like an old lady with the sparse hair left on my head. I am scared to shave my head since its a big step. I have been researching wearing lace wigs which I can bond to my head which would make dating, traveling and everyday life easier. But I am very sensitive and I am worried glues or taping wigs to my head may not work. So I was thinking to shave my head and have a custom lace wig like 3 inches by 6" inches made to glue or tape onto my head right down the front to back for an edgy mohwak look (see pictures I've attached.) I have a custom wig maker who I think can make me a lace wig in this style. I am just scared shaving my head will not look like how I am imagining it may. I know I won't look like the women in the pictures I've attached. But it also can be cool, I've always been different and this maybe a healthier approach to loosing my hair. Wearing it with a mohawk I tape/glue on could change my life for the better. I could also remove the mohawk and just be BALD (which kinda trills me but ask scares me to death.)
    Overall I think this could make my life easier, I think people and maybe guys I date will accept me more with a shaved head (which may look cool or edgy) rather than the sympathy they seem to express if the see the spare hair I have trying to keep bandanas on to hide my balding head.

Any one shaved their head and happier?
    Any one enjoy wearing bonded wigs with a shaved head? Anyone have advice for bonding wigs if you are sensitive to chemicals and such?
    I don't have anyone to ask these questions to so I thought this forum may offer some help.
    Thanks in Advance and I have attached some pictures of the look I'm leaning towards with the shaved head and mohawk look.

Attached Files:

2. brambles92

brambles92 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think those looks look amazing but the most important thing is if it’ll give you confidence and make you happier, if you think it will, definitely go ahead with it!

I held onto the hair I had on my head and wore a topper for years when I knew I really wanted to transition to bonding a hairpiece. I did this because everyone told me I had too much hair to shave off (but not enough that I could go out with just my bio hair) and that it would be a waste. It took me a few years to get those voices out of my head and take the plunge but I’m SO SO glad I did. It was absolutely terrifying sitting in the hairdresser’s seat, waiting for her to get the clippers out and watching her shave the top of my head (I wear a bonded topper so not my whole head shaved, my hair loss is diffuse but concentrate around the top)...but the minute she put that bonded hairpiece on, I knew it had changed my life.

I can do everything I want with my bonded topper - style it, swim in it, shower in it, go to the gym without worrying it’ll come off in anyway, I can’t even feel it on my head and it looks SO natural, no one can tell this isn’t my real hair (I forget sometimes too). Bonding isn’t always the right decision for everyone but it definitely was for me.

As for the issue you have with sensitive skin - I’m not a doctor or anything but I think it might help to do a few trials with different glues and tapes - e.g maybe stick a small piece of tape at the back of your head or behind your ear or something just to see if you have any adverse reactions? I have generally sensitive skin too but I have no issues with any of the glue or tape I’ve used for bonding.

I know this reply is a couple of months late but I hope whatever decision you made, you’re happy!!

azie16 likes this.
  3. azie16

azie16 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your reply. You just made me realize I don’t have to shave my whole entire head to try bonding. Just curious would you mind sharing which kinds of tapes or glues you use? I’ve been watching lots of YouTube videos but they’re mostly geared towards African-Americans or women who have shaved their entire head. Any kind of suggestions you could give could be helpful.

The idea of being able to go swimming, on vacations, going to the gym those all thrill me. Unfortunately I’ve limited my life so much because the loss that I don’t remember what it’s like having those experiences. More importantly having a relationship and having a boyfriend I can spend the night with me has been impossible and that truly breaks my heart. Wearing a bonded pieces actually gives me hope. Reading your reply actually makes me feel excited about life again. Thank you so much.

4. brambles92

brambles92 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awww yay, I’m glad I made a difference! And yes absolutely, you don’t need to shave your whole head to bond - of course you can and it’ll still look good but I personally think it is a bit easier to blend the hairpiece in if you keep a bit of your bio hairline; not to mention the fact that you don’t have to worry about getting the piece/wig to adhere to the nape which I’ve heard is notoriously hard. My topper is 3.5” x 5.5”.

I’ve only started bonding in the last 5 months or so and I’ll be honest and say that I’ve recently made the decision to let my hairdresser do my bonding. It’s not because I can’t do it myself, and lots of women do, it’s just the convenience factor of it :/ When I was bonding myself, it was hard for me to shave the back of my head properly because I couldn’t see (part of the shaved area of my head extended to the back) and as a result, the piece didn’t adhere as securely as it could have. I had to change it every 10-14 days...when my hairdresser does it, it stays put, no budging, no issues for 5 weeks straight >< I know some women aren’t comfortable with bonding for that long, they prefer to take it off more frequently and let the scalp breathe etc but this is perfect for me. I don’t really notice much itching and just the fact that I don’t have to worry about it!

I’m not entirely sure what she uses to get such a strong bond but I know it’s a mixture of tape and glue (tape all around the perimeter of the hairpiece, the glue on top of that tape and glue on my scalp). What I used when I was doing the bonding myself was Walker Ultra Hold tape and Walker Ultra Hold glue (maximum strength). I’m sure I would have been able to get the same hold with those products, it’s just the shaving the back of the head I hadn’t figured out exactly.

Also I know how hard navigating the whole relationship landscape is with alopecia but I also just wanted to say that there are lots of men out there who don’t mind at all (my husband supported me through 6 years of hair loss & taking off toppers whenever we were alone...this included a period of time where I had a breakdown and shaved my whole head >>). Having the bonded topper definitely helped my confidence but I also didn’t notice a huge deficit when I didn’t have it because he always made me feel beautiful regardless. I hope the dating thing gets easier but I also hope you find someone who doesn’t care!

Sorry for the massive post but feel free to ask any questions, happy to help! :)