Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New And Waiting On Results Of Three Biopsies

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Potplantlover, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Potplantlover

Potplantlover New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone , I hope this is an ok thread to be posting in. It's so reassuring g to find so much information on hair loss although I'm sorry to see so many women experiencing it
    This as been an on an off issue for me . I experienced diffuse hairs loss a couple of years back worse at temples and was told it was te and would stop . It seemed to slow after about eight months so I relaxed but now it's back with avengence . It's been shedding so badly for the last six months that my scalp is showing clearly at the temples and it's about 50% thinner all over ( ponytail etc)
    I saw a derm last week who took three biopsies from midline front and mid scalp and also temple
    However recent reading I've been doing is saying that biopsies shouldn't come from the temple as nearly everyone has miniturisation there and now I'm worried I won't get an accurate diagnosis
    It seems almost definate they will put this down to androgonous alopecia ( which it may or may not be) the hair loss is just sooooo extreme. My main worry is that my diagnoses may not be accurate and I'll be sent away and told to use minoxidil rather than look for other causes . I'm losing a lot each day, I'd say minimum 300-400 hairs per day. I know other are experiencing similar and worse :(
    All my bloods including irons thyroid hormones have returned as normal.
    Anyone have any experience or advice on having several biopsies taken at once would be appreciated or how I should approach this

#1 Potplantlover, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Elle

Elle New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently biopsies are not always accurate. My biopsy showed scarring alopecia. Two months after the biopsy the stupid dermatologist told me it’s actually probably androgenic even though the biopsy did not show miniaturization. Based on the way my hair looks, I’m quite sure it’s androgneic, probably with a mix of scarring. Lucky me. My biopsy was done at my temple and my nape. I’m convinced this idiotic dermatologists don’t know anything about hair loss and really don’t care.

3. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've had two biopsies done but each time it was only in one location. Never heard of someone having three at once. But that seems like it can only be a good thing. I wouldn't worry too much about the one being at the temple since there are a total of three. Perhaps that's why the derm took multiple biopsies.