Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New Around Here, Looking For Similar Hair Loss Stories.

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Marama, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Marama

Marama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

I'm so thankful to have stumbled upon this site and have been reading all your messages , heartfelt replies and support for a while now.
    Im wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to me?
    It all started with a hair dye colour remover.
    I used to have masses of beautiful curly blonde hair (which I didn't appreciate enough). After deciding to dye it red I hated it and chose to use colourB4 . I used two applications as it stated that it was safe and gentle for frequent use.

After washing my hair out I noticed my scalp was burning and large amounts of hair came out.
    My dermatologist said it was probably a reaction to PPD and it would grow back.

6 months later it continues to shed excessively all over. Scalp sensitivity has improved but no regrowth yet.

Thanks to everyone here I learned what a trichologist was and have just started seeing one. She thinks that it is female thinning. It don't disagree but my hair loss seems to be the perfect example of TE. As before the incident I had no sign of thinning hair or hereditary hair loss.

Best wishes and thoughts to all of you lovely people out there also experiencing that awful emotional stress of hair loss.

Marama x

Farrah711 likes this.
  2. Marama

Marama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My GP and a dermatologist both noted redness that also appeared on my forehead but no burns or blisters.

I guess all our cases are just so individual and I shouldn't compare my seemingly endless shedding so some standard "6 month" diagnosis.

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. Marama

Marama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
    Despite doing so many things it may just end up being that time is the most important thing as hard as that is to wait.

Farrah711 likes this.
  4. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes female Androgenetic Alopecia is kickstarted by something that causes a shed, and then the hair begins to grow back thinner. However, seems like it may be too early to tell in your case. If you are ever in doubt, get a scal biopsy. This is how I confirmed my type of hairloss which is both a very weird pattern and still Androgenetic Alopecia.

5. Marama

Marama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gorgina,
    Thank-you for this. It really would make a lot more sense with this in mind. My Trichologist did say Androgenetic alopecia was present but since it was sudden hairloss which hasn't slowed at all I wasn't convinced. She seems to think with laser treatment and some other things my hair will grow back as the follicles are still all ok. I'm not so sure but am really hoping she's right.

What sort of management are you doing for yours?

6. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing except oral minoxidil has ever worked for me. I have tried more treatments than you works believe, and I would wager far more than any other person on this forum. Very experimental things. Laser did not help me, and I am afraid only ever seems to be marginally effective when it does work. It does however increase the effectiveness of minoxidil, because they both work through openinf of Adenosine-triphosphate potassium channels (vasodilation). If your derm will allow it, you could try a low dose of oral minoxidil. It grew back all of my hair and then some when I bgan using it. Effects have waned now though.

7. Marama

Marama New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you've had a rough time. Great that you got improvement from minoxidil. But you're losing your new growth slowly ?

I can't remember what I'm going to be put on. Apparently it's like minoxidil .Thankyou, Ill ask about the oral version . There is so much info , often contradictory I feel like I really don't know what to think.

8. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    What happened with me is totally unique. I have never met another person who reacted to minoxidil the way that I have so it’s unlikely that you will suffer the same fate as me if you do decide to try it. Basically, it grew a lot of hair for 3 months at a time, followed by three months where the hair grown fell out and my hair stopped growing.. then it would grow in again. Over and over in 3 month cycles, and the entire time my shedding was (still is) absolutely out of control. What I find now is that the dose I’m on it either ineffective or the hair that’s fallen out over and over again simply is too miniturised to grow back. Either way, I only stayed on it because not a single other thing worked in my case. I tried PRP, every available antiandrgoen (even ones that are for castrate resistant prostate cancer), all the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, estrogen, microneedling, supplements, shampoos, stemoxydine, capyxil, WNT agonists, immunosuppressants, prostaglandin analogues, peptides, things that are unheard of and highly experimental. The list is inexhaustible. None of them worked and so I begrudgingly stayed on minoxidil. I attempted to quit this past month but the fallout was apocalyptic.
    Minoxidil works, but you need to stay in it for life and pray that you are a good responder.