Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New here and first topper

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by luvblackcats, Apr 30, 2012.

1. luvblackcats

luvblackcats Guest

Hey everyone,
    I am 31 years old and have suffered from trich for almost 20 years. For years, I tried various therapies and nothing worked. Finally, I gave up and ended up recently with a large spot. Despite having this condition for many years, I only purchased my first wig a couple of days ago. I am thrilled to have hair again and everyone says I look great, but I still feel depressed. It is as if buying a topper made me realize the seriousness of my problem. Is this a "normal" reaction? I am also scared to death that everyone will notice.

The plan of action for right now is to wear this rather inexpensive synthetic topper for a couple of months and go from there. I am almost positive that my hair will grow back, but probably not as thick as it once was in the past. In the fall, I will look into getting a more expensive custom piece or hair extensions.

Best,
    Megan

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do not have the same issue as you but I understand a bit how you feel. I am not thrilled that I have to "wear hair" but am glad there is a cosmetic solution to my problem. Welcome to the group!

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am in agreement with Lilly. I really want my own hair back but am glad I didn't live a generation back when the cosmetic options were not very good.

4. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Deirdre - I agree it must have been much harder for women in older times when there were not many options for hiding the hair loss. But it seems hair loss in women was much more rare then. With all the chemicals we are consuming, its something in our environment that is affecting some of us this way. I wish I knew what it was!

5. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not so sure it is all that new a problem. I have a medical book for women written around 1900 and there is a big section on how to deal with thinning hair. Lavender oil was one of the recommendations.