Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New here and scared...please help me figure this out!

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Mew923, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Mew923

Mew923 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone...

I've been reading the forum for about a month now. It's been about a month and a half since I knew I had a real problem. I started losing a lot of hair in the shower probably a year ago I think. I didn't notice any thinning although I know it was happening. I figured it would work itself out and never really thought it was a problem until mid July. It got much worse very quickly. All of a sudden it wasn't just a lot of hair, it was alarming. I started counting hairs. A typical amount to lose in the shower is 40-50...with many more during combing afterward, and of course always hairs on my clothes and tickling my arms, all over floor, etc. every time I run my hands gently through my hair at least a few come out. Seems to get worse and worse. I lost 65 hairs in the shower last night and probably 50 more combing it out.

It seems to be thinning all over. Definitely seeing thinning on top and widening of my part. See attached photos - 2 of them were taken with damp hair.

Also feeling a lot of loss at nape of neck (especially on the right side) and at temples. When I go to tuck my hair behind my ears, it feels weird, like I'm hardly tucking anything. It also feels very damaged with a lot of spilt ends and wispy hairs that I never used to have. When I wash my hair, a lot of the time instead of feeling a lot of hair, it's like I keep grabbing individual strands of hair and it feels very odd and web-like!?

A bit about me:

- age 47

- went through pretty early menopause at 45

- my mom has thinning hair (just on top) but probably started around age 60

- Last blood test in May showed a b-12 deficiency. Thyroid was fine at that time.

- Ive had a ton of stress in the past couple of years...a 4-year long divorce that finally ended in January, a drug addicted son, a boyfriend who travels overseas for work 3 months at a time, I've moved 3 times in the past year (this last move was in July), my youngest daughter just left for college, etc

- I think around the same time my hair started falling out is when I noticed I have horizontal nail ridges (beau's lines).

Im going to the dermatologist on Tuesday to try to get some answers. I'm very scared!!
    Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be? Praying it isn't Androgenetic Alopecia...

Attached Files:

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

welcome to the forum. I totally identify with what you are going through. Hair loss is devastating.

It sounds to me like it could be hormonal fluctuations that occurred during menopause. But it could be Androgenetic Alopecia, too. If it is, there are treatment options, so try not to worry.

It sounds like you've already had a blood test done to rule out deficiencies/imbalances. Your next step would be getting a scalp biopsy.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. Mew923

Mew923 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your reply. I actually didn't get all the specific tests for deficiencies yet, just a few basic tests from when I showed my regular dr my fingernail ridges earlier this year. I would like more detailed tests and hopefully the derm will order the ones I ask for (after learning about them on this site). I hope she will do a biopsy as well.

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    By the way, losing 100-150 hairs a day is considered normal. If you're losing around that much, but are still noticing thinning, it sounds like you may be having a problem with regrowth. This could indicate a deficiency/imbalance as well, OR Androgenetic Alopecia.

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started losing hair in peri menopause, now age 67. I tried everything out there, prescription, over-the-counter, snake oil stuff etc. some helped but not enough. I started wearing a HH topper about 8 years ago, first clip-on, now bond. It's not the best thing in the world but not the end of the world either.

- - - Updated - - -

I started losing hair in peri menopause, now age 67. I tried everything out there, prescription, over-the-counter, snake oil stuff etc. some helped but not enough. I started wearing a HH topper about 8 years ago, first clip-on, now bond. It's not the best thing in the world but not the end of the world either.

6. dvent1111

dvent1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to guess has to do with your hormone imbalance....I am curious to see what your estrogen/progesterone levels are. Your loss sounds a lot like mine after going off the bcp- I had my hormones tested back in March and my estrogen was below the lowest number - I just turned 40 so I think my body is having a hard time adjusting. I just had hormones tested once more on friday and if estrogen comes back low again I will know thats the cause. I also have a biopsy scheduled for November-

Let us know how your dr appt goes.. push for the blood tests!

7. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there! Sorry you're going through this. I, too, had early menopause at age 42, due to complete hysterectomy. You said you went through early menopause. Are you on any hormone replacement? I never was put on any and so I'm sure the lack of estrogen has affected my hair's growth and decreased density. Everyone is different in how they approach the whole hormone replacement issue, but it's something you may want to discuss with your doctor. Keep us posted with how your doctor appointment goes and good luck!
    Anne

8. LiviLexi

LiviLexi New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I too went through M' early, at 42 as well, now 52. I'm not sure what to tell you what the cause is. You might want to get your iron checked out, that I know is a major contributor. I've tried, Toppix, ShenMin, any many more. I've used Toppix with dry shampoo for coverage and volume. I decided that is enough and that I will take more iron, code liver oil pills, eat more fish, and give my head a break. I bought Easipart synthetic . I love it!! Wear it every day. No one at work, or friends know. You'll feel more confident and less stressful about it when dealing and finding out the cause.

"Face to the sun, let the dark shadow fall behind"