Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New member - can you continue to lose hair 2.5years from one traumatic event?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by mandym, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My dermo says my hair loss is TE, from either death of grandmother 2.5 years ago, or from Prozac. She never tested anything - not even blood work. I doubt I would still be in full shed mode, which us getting more intense, if the death was the case. She raised me, so it was very dramatic, but too long ago I believe. Prozac - I weaned myself off of it over 6 months very slowly - took last pill Dec 2014. Any chance this is related to stopping it?

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The trigger for TE can be from so many things which is why bloodwork is run to eliminate and address any of those factors. Have you asked your family Dr. or Gyno to run bloodwork for Iron, Thyroid and Horomones? Even if you go to a walk in clinic and ask for the tests you really need those. I'm shocked your Dr. has not run tests, that is horrible.

3. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    mandym, Yes, a traumatic event can set off hair loss - and medications can, too. My hair loss started almost 3 months to the day of taking a beta blocker (from which I was weaned after 5 months) and of being taken to the ER. Here it is 3.5+ years later and I'm still suffering from CTE. And, yes, you should definitely get a full battery of blood tests. Although mine all came back "normal", there are many other women who have found a contributing factor to their hair loss.

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    The first question in response to your post that comes to my mind is - how much are you shedding/losing? As I'm sure you know, it is normal to lose 100, or in some cases even up to 150 hairs a day. Is your hair loss the result of excessive shedding, or are you gradually thinning? Does it seem as though hair is just not growing back as it used to? Regardless of your answers to these questions, you deserve answers. I think it is a travesty that your dermatologist hasn't done any blood work in such an extended period of time. If I were you, I would immediately see a general practitioner. In my experience, they are better about ordering tests and investigating things. I am shocked that you have been complaining of hair loss for two years and your doctor hasn't cared to investigate further. The only reason I ask whether or not you are excessively shedding is because if you told your doctor that you are shedding what is considered within the "normal" range, I could maybe see why they haven't investigated further. Not that they shouldn't, only because my experience with doctors, especially dermatologists, indicates that in general, they just don't get things done.

In response to your other question, certain SSRI's have been linked to hair loss; just from the quick google search I just did it does seem that Prozac is one of them. And about the traumatic event, certainly your emotional health affects your physical health. They are interconnected. Everything is. I personally have never really given much credit to the idea that emotional health/trauma ALONE can cause hair loss. That is purely my opinion, however.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I first wanted to ask how to add photos to my profile, and also why I wasn't notified of responses when I clicked to be notified by email... Hmm.

The hair loss is excessive - wads of hair daily - I counted way over 200 more than once. It's diffuse loss, all over, but mostly concentrated on top, sides and top of back of head. I can see shiny scalp in several areas.

I have had some blood work done by my gp. They all continue to come back within normal range - iron, vit d, thyroid. They too thought it was trauma and that it would get better on it's own. I finally went to a naturopath who thinks I have adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid possibly, leaky gut, and we've confirmed candida too. I did private labwork in Europe for most of my hormones when I was there last month. All came back normal except sdhea which was over range. Testosterone was normal, if not lowish - as we're my other sex hormones. ND says my progesterone is too low (though within range). I'm currently treating leaky gut, candida and adrenals.

I just went to a new endo last week who turned out to be great, and reordered all my hormones to be done. He thinks it's adrenal related too. My dermo has been useless.

So I was basically asking if such loss can continue on from one event for years on end without having a secondary cause - especially since it's getting worse, not better. I've had more than one episode of happy tiny hair growth, only to watch it all shed again some time later. But the loss has not stopped for 2.5 years in various intensities. The issue now is I have so little left, and the loss is accelerating - so I'm panicking.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can anyone comment on my last comment re not getting notifications, and how to post photos? Thnx.