Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New Retest Results Are In...................

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by TinaM1968, May 13, 2019.

1. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well new tests are in. My iodine is low agin (was high while supplementing for last test) my ferritin is finally normal again!!! 84 yay! Is was high like 195 the past year. Now the shocker my free t3 I s 3.1. It’s always been 2.1, 2,3 always the low end of the scale. It seems to be coming up. I think due to the iodine and stress reduction happy non the less and hoping it continues to improve. Everything else 100% good but those slightly elevated Dheas an non existent progesterone. Now if only the hair would respond to those good results

#1 TinaM1968, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    grace90 and idk like this.
  2. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina

Yeap if only hair responded to improvements in lab results! I had a good look at my hair today and it is depressing. My sides and back are so sparse, I use to think its adrogenetic because of the widening part but its spares everywhere its just that the length of the hair gives more coverage at the back.

I have some regrowth, oddly most of it is on the top of my head and the centre of my hairline. It doesn't really help the look of the hair though. So now im thinking, is this a good sign or is it just wishful thinking and its just a drop in the ocean and by this time next year I will be wearing a wig?

I cant believe that in my case slightly elevated Prolactin could cause such terrible thinning and there is no other deficiency or imbalance that I have.

I feel like shaving all my hair off.

3. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I can’t believe just above normal Dheas could do this to me has to be more to it. My thyroid is doing better then it ever had so I’m hoping it continues to improve and help. Regrowth is always good! I wished I’d see something my front is awful but the sides and back aren’t the greatest either.

4. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your thyroid results sound very similar to mine, especially the FT3. It was usually always in lower end of normal range but since has improved into mid range so I too expected big things to happen like, more energy, more hair on my head. But sadly no. What's your TSH? Im trying to get it to 2 or below. But last result said 2.4.

I recently looked at Hairlosstalk forum and one of the guys there posted pics of his regrowth on Finasteride. Amazing! So I will continue with my flaxseed daily 2 tablespoons, as its the only 'natural' alternative to Finasteride that I could find. If a man can regrow his hair after decades of advanced hair loss then surely we women can have some improvement!

Grass grows quicker than my hair lol!

TinaM1968 likes this.
  5. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Well my tsh is 3 something but I heard it’s the free t levels that are important tsh was in the 4s so I guess it it improving What has brought your free T3 up? I also think it will take time for thyroid improvement to show results some days I have energy others not so much. I did not know that about flaxseed and finasteride interesting.

That is hope about a man regrowing after years of loss! Did he have male pattern loss? Truly amazing if so showing hair can regrow! I looked briefly at that forum. Maybe I should take another look

6. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure what improved my T3 levels. I think maybe upping my iron and zinc and iodine? I think I am converting the T4 into T3 better now. Interestingly, my T4 isn't fantastic still a low normal. At my worst around 5 years ago my TSH was 4.5 and my T4 and T3 on the low end of normal, hence I thought I had found my smoking gun and desperately tried treating that but that back fired. Endo wasn't convinced that is could be causing my hair loss and she was right.

Yes the bloke had male pattern hair loss. Basically a few tufts left on the top of his head. He has thicker hair than I do now! I also read about the flaxseed on Womenshairlossproject forum.

https://forum.womenshairlossproject.com/threads/can-flaxseed-make-things-worse.320/ the forum member by the name of naturalnappy - she had great results

If I could get topical finasteride I would be thrilled to try is. Its not available her in New Zealand though.

7. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Zinc and iodine here too, I think that is what changed my numbers..we will retest in 4 months so see if it still it doing good. I think thyroid may be a part of the puzzle for us both. I thought a couple years ago my thyroid was the problem and so pushed for ndt meds ..super bad mistake only made things worse.

Amazing about his regrowth. I would be thrilled as I’m sure he is. If flaxseed is similar to finasteride taken orally I wonder if it has the same effect topically?

8. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I think I’m leaving this forum. There is no active admins and after the recent matter with usman Khalid it’s not worth the stress, it’s a shame, I hope things get better for you and all the women on here so I just need to eliminate it from my life sad Part is one can’t delete an account here either maybe admin will do it for me

9. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sad to see you are leaving. What's the Usman Khalid issue?

10. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the link and that wonderful piece of news about flaxseeds. I'm going to give that a try.
    Naturalnappy sounds so much like me.

idk likes this.
  11. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Idk I but I don’t need the stress. His profile say 27 year old man seems to be pushing some hairloss treatment. Then claims it’s a woman under her husbands account. Very rude person. I did block them so maybe I will hang around awhile longer

#11 TinaM1968, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    DivyaJ likes this.
  12. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina

Yes i know what you mean about the scammers and product pushers on forums like this. I use to be on Womens Hairloss Project but at a certain point it just seemed crowded with scammers it was awful and stifled any real conversation about hair issues. Keep blocking things that don't seem right. Its the only way to go and if Admin could police it a bit more that would be great too. I don't know what other forums there are out there, maybe Hairlosstalk, i think it has a womens section.

I checked out my regrowth again last night. I actually have new growth and it looks healthy but and there is always a but with hair loss isnt there. I don't know if there is such a thing as just 'new growth' and actually 'recovery regrowth'. I guess only time will tell.

DivyaJ and TinaM1968 like this.
  13. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Divyaj

Let us know how it goes. I take my in either orange juice or yoghurt. Aparently if it works for hair you should see a change around the 2 month mark.

Good luck!

DivyaJ likes this.
  14. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    What brand flaxseed are you using?

15. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina

They aren't branded. I get organic flaxseeds from an organic store. Grind them freshly in a coffee grinder each day, 2 heaped tablespoons.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  16. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Idk
    Do you have just cte?

17. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina

I don't know anymore to be honest. I have had hair issues since a teenager. Back then I think iron played a part as I was anemic. Then in my twenties, probably iron too as I was vegetarian and stressed. I just got used to have thinning hair and disguising it. It would thicken up from time to time. Then in my late 30's decided to have kids and I knew my hair would take a hit and I wasn't wrong. Had some moderate thinning after my first child and then a massive TE (upto 300 hair sheds after washing) after my second child. After my second child I tried to play with my thyroid and that made things worse still so it brings me to my current situation.

My shedding is under control at the moment. I just need to increase hair thickness and density. I am seeing some sprouts I am just not sure if its enough to make a difference to the appearance of my hair.

Lately I have noticed that I can feel the coldness of the air as I walk outside, my hair doesnt keep my head warm :(

18. sleepywaif

sleepywaif Member

Dislikes Received:
    hello, i took seroquel like 2-3x a month for insomnia and i'm stopping bc it elevates prolactin apparently. i've been shedding like crazy.

did you have any other elevated prolactin sx other than hairloss?

sorry for being so RANDOM i have neuropathy in my hands so i'm typing super lazy. thank you

my ft3 is bottom of range, elevated tsh, normal ft4

i only tested progesterone a few times bc i know it's absurdly low

#18 sleepywaif, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  19. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Am so sorry but that last line just made me smile and chuckle...conjured up a funny image in my head...only because I can relate...I know the feeling...I'm always running for cover when there's even the slightest breeze...and I think that part of my scalp has become callous with years of exposure to sun and the cold...lol...I barely feel anything...I'm sure if I shave my head, the crown of my head will be tanned...
    I mean they talk about freedom and likening it with feeling the wind through your hair...letting your hair down...I mean what hair?! Why do they have so many of these phrases with hair??!!

#19 DivyaJ, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  20. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I've just started taking them with almond milk in the morning, a little bit of chia seeds, couple of walnuts, a few dates, and a fruit. Trying to be positive. I posted a before and after picture in the thread "New treatment for Androgenic Alopecia" - I don't think I'll take any more pictures...they are rather depressing...I just realized how much worse my hair's gotten over the last couple of years...I'd been living in blissful oblivion this past year!