Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New Retest Results Are In...................

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by TinaM1968, May 13, 2019.

1. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Divyaj

I know all about that blissful oblivion. I have had hair thinning for years but I just ignored it until in the last 5 years it got really really bad and I thought I better try and help myself. I have taken lost of photos of my hair and sometimes i think i see improvement and other times I think its way worse. Its really hard to take a photo with the right light and repeat that again later on for a good comparison. I too have stopped taking photos because I prefer not to be depressed. I have a little bit of regrowth happening and want to be positive about it. At least my hair shedding is now under control. I think my hair will improve but its going to take longer than a year. So I just have to arm myself with patience!

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to respond to your post about the flax seed, how long have you been on it? I have been taking it since around May 20. I have been taking it daily 1 tablespoon (I found with 2 tablespoons it was very upsetting to my stomach), and also I take 1 pill of stinging nettle root/day. At first it seemed to really be working (I was then taking 2 tablespoons flax seed but it caused real havoc with my stomach and I read that it shouldn't be more than 1 tablespoon/day). But now, it seems to be worse, the front hairline, it really is non existent almost...it is extremely distressing as most on this site probably know. I don't know what to do anymore. I am also taking progesterone cream, since I am post-menopausal I take 3 weeks on, 1 week off. I don't know if something I am doing is making it worse. It does seem like the shedding has decreased so I don't understand how my hairline became worse........

3. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sandy

I sympathize with your distress about your hairline, mine is also extremely thin as in density and also hair strand diameter. Both things that flaxseed is meant to improve. I can see 'into' my hair for about 10cms all over my scalp. I have new growth but because my strands are thin it will really take a lot more to make a visual difference. My shedding is pretty good most days to the point where i have stopped counting my fallen hairs which I have been doing for around 5 years! Im drawing a blank as to when I started the flaxseed, sorry I have had the flu and just getting over it. I have it written down somewhere. I do remember that I saw more new hairs about 2 months into it.

I wish I could help more, I have been going around in circles with my hair issues my hair just seems to be my weak point.

4. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This forum has been dead again ... hard to keep coming here for support when there is no one here . 3 months after labs with better numbers and the hair is no better. I don’t think it ever will get better again at this point..so sad the turn my life took. I use to look forward to growing old with my husband and enjoying my golden years..since 45 it was all stolen from me I’ll be 51 in November ..I so envision my life differently at this point in my life

5. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I share your distress, i used to be so upbeat but now i dont want to do much of anything and i always am obsessed thinking people are looking at my hairline. My early august test showed a FT3 of 3.57, TSH of .36, FT4 of .850 which is very low. However the labs are improved since early july where i had FT3 of 3.08, FT4 of .76, TSH of 2.74, TPO of 221 (now 191). Since that time, i have lowered my NDT and cut out T4 completely. However i dont know how that could lower my TSH in just 5 weeks. I did use different labs. Also I am on 1 tablespoon flaxseed, and i am taking selenium and zinc 1 hr after the morning NDT which supposedly helps the transfer from T4 to T3. I also cut out the estrogen cream the NY doctor told me to take when i realized myself from my labs i was estrogen dominant. I also read about flaxseed and doesnt hurt to take it, but i thought that stinging nettle root would be closest natural alternative to finasteride. I did buy toppik and have used it maybe 3 times, i not so sure it helps me so much in that my loss is center front hairline. But it makes me less self conscious. I am now setting up an appt with dr austin childs to see what direction he feels i should go and if he recommends oral finasteride. I am still thinking of transplant since i have good donor area but my husband feels that is a huge mistake.

6. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have issues with hair dye holding in your hair? I’ll dye my hair and within a couple weeks it’s all gone! I just can’t understand that

7. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have to do my roots every 3 weeks or so. But interesting is that last time they told me my hair was growing in dark rather than grey. Its usually the very front hairline (where i am missing hair) that is the first to lose color after a couple weeks.

8. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder why? Is it a thyroid thing? The good news is you at least regrowing hair wish I could say the same

9. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I think I’m done with this forum never anyone one here feels like I just talk to myself. No one ever come back with success stories

10. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You mean the darker hairs? I think itt is mixed growth some dark some grey But maybe its from the flaxseed i started late may, or the collagen peptide. Those are things i started recently. The hairdresser says he sees new hairs but i dont know the quality of them, i know i see my scalp through the front hairline and my temple areas scarce. I did stop recently retin A as well, and again i stopped all hormone creams. I have tel consult with dr childs next week. Will let u know what he says.

11. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    As per yr post about never seeing success stories, its like when i saw a transplant dr i said i wanted to try some things first to see if they would be successful and he said - nothing will help except a transplant. He said i am wasting my money on other things, that some might produce slight results but the hair quality would not be good. I am behinning to think he is right.
    I see photos of transplants, some look anazing, but you usually dont see posted the bad results. So i have to really think if at my age if i should do it.
    I am also wondering if i should try finasteride.
    Has anyone tried emu oil that is supposed to help?

12. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I will say be careful with the transplant. Like you say they never tell you the horror stories, and there are, on a hairloss site I visited awhile ago a guy research thoroughly for a few years, did his homework ect for his transplant before he did it, he was a hoof story that now has permanent scarring and damage that that was the best part of his experience, his scalp actually turned gangrene and was infected. He says now that for him his life is over, I can’t remember the site I think it may have been hairloss talk? Idk but he has a blog somewhere too to let people now his experience. Not everyone has bad experiences but the chance of them are real and permanent when they do occur. I know a co worker who had it done too and it didn’t do a thing to help so please please just be careful

13. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh That is what really frightens me, literally i feel sick thinking about it and know i will get extremely anxious before and during, maybe have a heart attack. I have some days my hair not so bad, other days horrendous and i get very depressed. It is now my 3 month mark that i have been taking flaxseeds and stinging nettle root but i dont see improvement so i am getting very discouraged. . I have just started to use toppik and i use it sometimes just a couple sprays in the very front hairline, not sure how natural it looks and not crazy how it feels. So am considering to try finasteride but does it regrow? I think someone on this site said a man had much success with it.
    I never ever thought this would be a problem with me, i used to have such thick hair. It is an obsession now with me.

14. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I understand I never thought I’d be here either. I didn’t mean to scare you but thought you should know the reality of some transplants that are true stories. Like I said, probably rare but still something you should keep in mind. For me? I will just live with things I saw the pics and I don’t want to take any chances. Wish you the best it whatever you decide

15. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Where exactly is your hairloss? Is it all over thinning or just certain areas?
    Re the transplant the NY doctor gave me names of two of his female patients who have had it with him. I have been in much contact with them and they are very pleased with results. However their hair is very different from mine, they had very thin hair always. I asked him to let me speak with one who had similar hairline problem but he wouldnt give me more referrals saying not everyone wants to open up about this. He supposed to be one of top surgeons. At any rate, i still am not doing anything at least not this year. I suppose i am hoping for a miracle with one of these other alternative treatments.

16. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I have frontal thinning as well hairs that just don’t grow longer then 4-5 inches temples sides and now all over just a mess I think we all hope for miracles, after 5 years I still am

17. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:

18. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yours sounds exactly like mine. I cant hide the front much anymore, i used to with different parts but now no matter where i part it it is obvious. When i see it it puts me in the worst mood.

19. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Tina, I'm planning on leaving this forum...I know, after that last post saying that I'm sad to see you leave...I'm considering it myself now...one reason is, there are several spammers on here...I removed pictures I uploaded. It's like whack-a-mole...you report one and another one pops up...two, I think stressing about my hair is making my hair fall out more...I've started taking biotin 5000mcg supplements, I also try and eat healthy, I still apply oils...and stuff...recently, heard that a mixture of rice water and onion juice can really help hair growth (I'm yet to try this), I've also started using a shampoo that has onion extracts in it (my hair looks fuller after I use it)...

I've decided to invest in wigs...I wouldn't be so stressed out stepping out of the house...and I could still continue these home remedies and maybe the reduced stress and the remedies might help my hair grow...not completely, but enough...I recently bought a topper and it looks pretty good...I just need to customize it to match my hair and look "natural" but it's promising... :)

So, there's light at the end of the tunnel...

TinaM1968 likes this.
  20. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I wish you all the best if you decide to leave. This forum seems to be running without a driver to keep spammers away ..sad..I too am just trying to live life as it comes and praying something at least helps. I do get sad and discouraged but have to face that this may just be my life from now on. I hope and pray we both can find some relief big hugs!