Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New to alopecia please help

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by karamy6, Dec 2, 2010.

1. karamy6

karamy6 Guest

I am a newby to alopecia areada. I was diagnosis about a month ago after having two biopsys on my scalp. The largest area is over 4 cm on the top of my scalp. I will never again laugh at the man who does comb overs.

After my diagnosis I had a first series of injections. Seventeen to be exact. I counted. I go back in a couple of weeks for the next series of injections.

I went to dinner with my 84 yr old mom the other night. (she is still a redhead) As we talked about my alopecia I told her that I had stopped into a wig shop to check them out as I might go bald My mom started crying, telling me I will not go bald. I told her that she needs not to worry. Whatever happens, happens for a reason.

My supervisor survived pancrea cancer. We call her Dr. Roberts as she has a wealth of knowledge where health issues are concerned. I was telling her that I am ready to accept whatever is meant to be. She said this is how she was when she went thru her cancer treatments. My supervisor is funny. She comes into my cubical to check my head for new spots. She actually pointed out a few new ones.

I would like to find other that have had the injections. Pros and cons. Also did anyone try rogain? Biotin?

I am not ready to give up. I only know the more I stress the more hair I lose.

2. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

Karamy6-
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with Alopecia Areata! I too have it, and it stinks! From my own experience steroid creams and biotin did not help. My spots have regrown and new ones form in a different area. That is kinda the way it goes. You may go into remission, many people do :).
    I wish you the best in your search for answers :). Also contact Joann the moderator- she is great and has had Alopecia Areata since she was 4.

3. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

I haven't had success with Biotin either - but I'm still taking it! I guess it would be helpful if that's what was the cause - that for some reason or other you were sorely lacking in nutrients.

4. karamy6

karamy6 Guest

Oops! I was incorrect about my supervisor. She had lymphoma cancer.

Thank you for all the kind words. As, we all know we all need all the support we can get.

Is there a group out there called bald and beautiful? lol I need to keep my humor.

5. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

I don't think there is a 'bald and beautiful,' BUT there is 'Bald girls do lunch!' :)

6. hops

hops Guest

hi, i haven't posted before, but thought I would jump in here as I discovered my first bald spot on the back of my head in July of this year and have started injections. Currently I have almost no hair on the back of my head (although up until a few weeks ago the rest of my hair covered it pretty well). I also have two large patches on the top of my head, one on either side.....there is not enough hair to cover both of them, so not much i can do about that. I also have a smallish patch near my forehead, and just discovered 3 new small patches and another one just a little larger in the space between the patches on the top of my head and the large patch on the back of my head, not to mention the one that seems to be shedding fast just above my right ear. Anyway, lol, I went in for my first injections about 5 weeks ago and about three weeks ago I noticed a shadow on the back of my head and now I can see a few small shadows of dark brown hair growing there, and also a little bit of growth on the two spots on the top of my head.

I just went in for my second round of injections yesterday (over 100 shots) and have an appointment for January for the next round. The derm was quite incouraged to see the growth on the back of my scalp, as he said with the extent of loss that I have on the back of my head, the hair doesn't usually come back. He was also surprised that it was the colour it was, as he said it usually comes in white.

I wear hats when I go out and to work to cover it all and told my manager to 'get used to these hats' lol. I haven't told everyone at work, just the ones I interact with everyday. I had a cronic case of hives from stress, starting in Feb. that just would not go away...mostly from work, which I think may have triggered the Alopecia Areata for me, as I am 51 and never had this happen before. I am just taking it as it comes and so far I am okay with wearing the hats, as I have enough hair in the front to frame my face.

the only thing I can say about the injections are that they really hurt, lol, and I was slightly traumatized the first time and couldn't stop crying. Because of the growth that occurred, I went back for the second round, and it wasn't as bad, because I think I knew what to expect and was able to psych myself. Don't get me wrong..it still hurt! lol The derm gave me the option of taking the cortisone orally, but I told him I didn't want to do that because of side effects. I did try the topical minoxidil 5% and cortisone before my first injections, but stopped after a few weeks because I was getting nausea and black outs from the minoxidil (I know this because I tried not using it for a few days, felt better, and when I tried it again felt worse faster). When I told the derm, he was the one that told me not to use the minoxidil anymore.

Don't know if any of this info helps, as from what I have read so far, everyone has a different experience. Hope you find something that helps you and also helps you get through this. The whole thing seems surreal at times.

7. amy32

amy32 Guest

dang, hops, over 100 shots? I give you props for going through that! I only had a fifth of what you had. maybe that's why it wasn't that painful for me. also, the adrenaline might have made me less perceptible to the pain. karamy...i agree...with "the more i stress the more hair i lose." i have been definitely stressing (i suffer anxiety also...ain't i attractive? lol) so my hair has been falling out even faster. anyway. i go back this tuesday for my 2nd round of injections. i'll let you know if it works.

8. freakyfriday

freakyfriday Guest

Hi,

I have been for injections, I do get many many more than 17:0 I suppose the repetitiveness bugs me after half way done....
    where they have injected I have regrowth/however; it's not fast enough for the new spots that are forming and taking over, .I wish as I stated before it would all fall out at once or regrow at one time.... I go for injections once a month for new areas.....My Dermo said that new growth does have a chance of 40 percent fallout again.....He's keeping it real...which I like. no LOLLYPOPS TELL IT LIKE IT TRULY IS....

you know what I dislike the most? my hair get more greasy than before should say faster.....every 2 days..that sucks cause i refuse to wash my hair that often....:)

((((( GREASY GIRL ))))

9. Stressed74

Stressed74 Guest

HI Karamy-
    My first visit to my derma upon referral from my gyno she recommended the injections. I go once a month, for the past three months for injections in 4 spots. About 60 injections. They hurt more on the back part than the top, for some reason. I guess they work for regrowth- hair starts growing around the injection sites. But I can't say that they do anything to stop future loss. I'm no expert, but that's my experience. I'm still losing my hair but at the same time have regrowth - so I suppose I would recommend the injections!

She also gave me a topical foam, Olux. I'm not sure why, can't find much on it related to hair loss, but trying anything.

10. msdmt

msdmt Guest

Hi I'm new too, and so very scared... steroid cream doesnt work... i have my first derm appt next week...what should i expect?