Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New to forum , desperate for wig advice !

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by jenamr, May 30, 2013.

1. jenamr

jenamr Guest

Hi!
    I'm 26 and have had Alopecia Areata for about 18 years . My most recent spurt of hair loss is leaving me bald on the sides of the head (on one side way up past my ear) and the nape of the neck. I had extensions put in 6 months ago, but my hairloss is getting worse in those areas. I also developed a quarter size patch in my part close to my front hair line and another small one towards the back of the part.

I've come to terms that I need a wig, I really just want to not have to deal with taking it off and putting it on. I have an 18 month old, and I just don't think I'll be able to handle the stress of glue and all.

Is it possible to have a full lace wig sewn in at the front hairline and glued at the back? I wouldn't mind having to go to a salon every so often for maintenance, I'm really just over looking at the problem and want a semi permanent solution :-/ any thoughts ?

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a clip -on topper so don't know much about wigs or bonding. But I'm sure you will from some of the wonderful ladies here. You might also want to join heralopecia.com and post there. Obviously everyone in that group "wears hair" and could be helpful as well.

3. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    A lot depends on what city or community you live in and what kind of services are there. If you live in a place that has a sizable Af.American community then you probably could get good services in a salon. But if not, then you may need to get a wig that has some elastic in the cap, and maybe a place for daily wear tape. Have you read on the forums all the info on using glue, washing scalp etc. The skills for long term wearing of a unit require some research and lots of helpful "tips". That is why I am thinking you would do best with a salon to help. But I can really understand your wish for a solution that is semi permanent and can be "out of mind". I have had total hair loss since age 21 and would probably go with some kind of lace wig if they came in the color blond with good quality hair-not all processed and stick dry.

4. jenamr

jenamr Guest

Thanks guys!

I actually live in the NJ / NYC metro area , but I feel very overwhelmed by the amount of wigs in the area and very underwhelmed by the amount of trustworthy knowledgeable sales people.
    I have worn full lace wigs before and have a good understanding of the process. I had a beautiful unit I wore for 6 months in the north carolina heat! However I found that none of the glue I tried worked with my body chemistry. I have a very "wet" hairline I guess when I'd get worried about whether or not the glue was getting tacky again I'd touch it . ( of course then any dirt on my hand stuck to the glue and yeah .) Not with a toddler and it being summer I just know it'll be worse. That's why I was curious about the sew ins :) I just cant wait to get something done so I can enjoy going outside again :-/

5. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

I can relate

Jenamr your loss sounds a lot like mine. I am missing from the nape of the neck about 4 plus inches up. And it has been progressing fast lately, I have spots around my face, behind my ears and now throughout the top too. Until this morning everything was covered :( I had to carefully pull hair to the back to cover and still cover the front. I am in northern nj. I went to a wig place and tried some on and was very overwhelmed. I know I am going to need one soon, but it is so scary thinking about it.

6. JerseyMommy

JerseyMommy Guest

Where did you go? I live in central jersey and I only found on place that would let me try on the wigs and toppers but their wigs were very old ladyish and I'm only 33!

7. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

Jerseymommy, me? It was in Little Falls, she sat me in a salon chair and tried all the ones that I liked on me. Since it was the first time I went it was just too much for me. When you purchase they also have a woman who will come in and trim the wig for you. I have to go back since I will need one sooner than later. I have a few other places too but this was the closest.

8. jenamr

jenamr Guest

Yup, that's exactly my pattern! Maybe something in the Jersey water :confused:

I had great lengths extensions up until now, and I can't imagine paying what I paid for those for a wig, they're all so expensive! I haven't even attempted walking into a 'wig salon'

I'm still searching for a low cost medium quality wig I can get put on so I don't have to look at this mess anymore. I know what you mean though, it is so scary thinking about it, its a huge step and so so stressful!

9. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

Jenamr, there are so many places around I just can't get the nerve to go again. I wonder how far you are from me, we should go wig shopping together. I have a 2 year old too, and a 5, 10 and 11 year olds too.

10. jenamr

jenamr Guest

I live in North bergen, hudson county, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to go wig shopping with you! ( side note, you're super woman... I can't imagine anymore than the one 2 year old!) I have been to a few hole in the wall shops that sell wigs .. but no one ever has what I want. They all seem like the same wigs imported from china and marked up out the wazoo . I just want a cheap full lace human hair wig. Blonde hair and bangs :hmmm:

11. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

I called a place today, Just for you in east Hanover. They deal with alopecia, and cancer patients. To have to make an appointment, and they are a full service place, from wigs to coloring cut etc. I was going to try and make an appointment next week. They start at $400 and go to $4000 ouch. I am in Passaic county. I am looking for the same thing as you, full lace human hair, but around here that seems to be in the thousands. I keep looking at prohair online and was going to order, but can't find anywhere that shows you the colors. I can see my scalp now if I move my hair at all, and I give it two weeks because that seems to be the way it is going and I will need a wig. Scared is an under statement.

On there is also Flora in Teaneck, the wigs are gorgeous, but they start at over $1000. I went to the site and watched a clip from so e tv how she was on. I am tempted to go there too, but I don't think I should start there either.

My kids are so good, well most days haha. We started potty training today so it kept me busy and not thinking about my hair at all, so that made it a great day!!

12. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
  13. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

Dancer thank you so much! I couldn't find it anywhere. I emailed them twice but never got a response.

I will check out the other link too!

14. dancer

Dislikes Received:
    No problem! :eek:

15. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

Dancer one more question, how do I figure out cap size? I see the spot how to measure but nothing about cap size. Any ideas?
    And yes I have been reading and researching all day everyday trying to figure out what to get,
    thanks

16. dancer

Dislikes Received:
    I would check the measurements with the supplier you choose before you order as companies can vary a little on cap sizes and you do want FLW to fit snugly but here is a link to give you an idea. Depends how big your head is but if it is very small or large you may need custom made.

http://www.stylishlacewigs.co.uk/en/content/8-wig-measurements

Hope that helps but feel free to ask if you are still stuck it isn't easy ordering first wig!:D

thought you maybe interested in this as well

http://www.stylishlacewigs.co.uk/en/content/29-cap-constructions

17. jenamr

jenamr Guest

Thanks for that info!

So I ordered a full lace from an aliexpress vendor and got burned TWICE . I'm pretty sure I wrote the review on the forum somewhere, but if I didn't keep an eye out for it. I basically got robbed!

I ended up purchasing my third lace wig from another chinese vendor and really do like it. Paid a total of $250 , but I have to say it isn't the BEST quality at all, but it will do for now. He quoted me nearly $300 for my next piece and I'm going to pass as it would be ' custom.' I don't like waiting for my hair so I'm currently hunting for vendors who have stock blonde hair. I'm wearing a #27 now, so keep your eyes peeled for me ladies!
    I'll get some picture on here of the wig as soon as I do my second application. She's been on for about a week and you can tell lol

18. Ak13

Ak13 Guest

Jenamr, i am so sorry about your past two experiences!! Are you bonding? That is something I want to eventually do. My loss has gotten worse and I still havent found anything. I have had 3 fortune wigs sent to me and none of them worked for one reason or another. I am so frustrated. I also went to the place in east hanover, overpriced synthetics ugh.

19. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same frustrations. I dared to defy convention and dabbed a little crazy glue on my front lace wig hairline. Worked amazing. Stays on for weeks even when tugged. And with swimming. Only drawback is you cant take it off for a couple weeks,, you have to wait until it loosens on it's own, and when you do the lace is destroyed. But mine is shake n go freetress equal synthetic. Their wigs cost $30-$40. You can buy them on line. I just buy a new one every payday. I only glue the front because i have combs on the sides and back, which is convenient to flip forward to wash my hair underneath.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a seller of free tress. These synthetics are actually awesome. No styling necessary, they keep their shape. And at $30 a pop you don't have to worry about them getting old or frizzy you can keep buying new.
    http://www.divatress.com/