Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New to the group

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by molly1981, Oct 29, 2009.

1. molly1981

molly1981 Guest

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the posts for a while now and gathering information and trying to sort through all of this. I had a bout of Alopecia Areata as a child around age 12 and now it is back at age 28. I started out with a small patch behind my ear that got larger over the past few months and I have two new areas on the top of my head and nape of my neck. The shedding is showing no sign of stopping.

I went to a new derm today who gave me another round of injections (my third since August) and really just seemed perplexed on what to do with me. They gave me a really strong topical steroid foam and also want me to take a large dose of oral steroids which is really what is concerning me. I am a nurse and am very concerned about the side effects of taking oral steroids for 3 wks but am also at the point where I can't hide the hair loss much longer at the rate that I am losing.

Any thoughts or suggestions? They also wanted me to use the Rogain Foam but that seems to really lower my blood pressure and give me quite a headache!

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and suggestions :)

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Molly. :grouphug: I'm sorry to hear that the Alopecia Areata is back. My hairloss is also from Alopecia Areata which I have had on and off since I was very young.

I think one of the most important facts to keep in mind when considering treatments is that at the present time there is no sure cure for Alopecia Areata. All the treatments available work at regrowing the hair that's been lost. If the immune system doesn't stop attacking the hair follicles on it's own you can be regrowing hair in one place and losing it in another .You could also lose the hair that has re-grown once the treatments are discontinued. Disheartening I know but important that you don't risk health to have hair that may not stay.

Many, many times the Alopecia Areata resolves itself even when there is significant loss. Unfortunately there is no way to predict each individual outcome but there is room for hope with Alopecia Areata.

I have to leave for work shortly but please do feel free to ask any further questions or concerns you may have and I will answer them as soon as possible.

Hugs, Joann