Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New to the world of Alopecia

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by tyffanie, Dec 5, 2007.

1. tyffanie

tyffanie Guest

Hi my name is Tyffanie, I am 25, and I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata yesterday. I feel like a tornado has come into my life and destroyed it. I have noticed some all over hair loss in the last 2 months, nothing crazy. Then over the last 2 weeks on the top of my head and my hairline I am loosing spots. They are getting more noticable everyday. I went to the Dr yesterday not knowing what to expect and she diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata and assured me that it will grow back. Then she injected my scalp with some shots and prescribed me a foam called Oxul to apply twice a day. I have done some personal research online and her verdict does not go with the other stories I am hearing about. I am so confused.

Is more hair going to fall out?
    Am i getting the right treatment?
    What is the timeline for the disease to run its course and new hair to come back?
    I am only 25 and I am going bald, how can this be happening to me?
    Can someone help me?

2. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Tyffanie,
    I am 34..I have had Alopecia Areata since 06/07, I have been getting injections since June every 4 wks, they do work but they do not prevent knew patches, in about 3 weeks you will see tiny white hairs then they turn dark(if you have dark hair) I did not get shots in Sept, oct, but I did get them in Nov, I go back 12/14 to get more, I feel like mine is under control, some what I used to wear a hat to work, I don't wear it any more. My Alopecia Areata started due to stress, of a brother who will not grow up, he has a drug problem, but I just have tried to put my family 1st, I try not to worry about him as much. I did lose all of my hair first, it all grew back in 2 mths. I did go to the tanning bed the uva..bulbs..helped, but stay intouch...these girls can help you get through this.
    Injections don't help everyone, I have talked to some people who do injections for a year..4 mths..everyone is different.You never know when another patch is going to appear, you can not control this. I do take prenatal vits. that is the only thing, I do w/the injections.
    Talk soon,
    lharrison

3. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

Hi, welcome to the baords.

I also got the injections, and in my case they worked, as long as i continued to get them.

But they don't work for everybody. This condition is highly unpredictable, some people respond to treatment, some don't. Some people never NEED treatment, have one episode, and it never returns. They really don't know a lot about it yet.

Be prepared for it to go either way, i truly truly hope that you respond to treatment.......just remember that the treatment only treats the spot injected, and does not prevent new spots, you could be getting injections for a long while.

You've come to the right place tho, i'm relatively new to this myself, had my first bald spot august 2006, and it's been a roller coaster of emotions, but i'm in an ok place with it now, willing to let it do what it's going to do, and go along for the ride.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

welxome to the boards!

5. tyffanie

tyffanie Guest

Thank you ladies for the info. I am a mess. I woke up this morning with new patches on the front of my hairline that were impossible to cover with a hairstyle. I was 2 hours late for work and had to convince myself to come in. I work in marketing on South Beach with alot of really beautiful people. My fiance is a muscian and we are always out. I just dont know how to get through this. I know its terrible, but I have always been a very vain girl. As far as the treatment, i think i see little black hairs growing, im not sure if they are broken hairs that fell out or not. The tanning bed sounds good, I always found that very relaxing. So now that I know that my prognosis is to most likely loose all my hair, can you girls give me advice with my options.

What do you do to hide the spots?
    Should I shave my head?
    Get a wig?
    Can I get extensions?
    Scarves?
    Hats?

Thank you so much, I so look forward to getting to know you all.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

if you shave your head, get specifically fitted for a good vacuum wig at a good wig shop.
    headscarves are also wonderful, and can be wrapped so many gorgeous and stylish ways.

7. lharrison

lharrison Guest

tyffanie,
    I did not shave my head I just got a tan hat..I would continue the shots, i have gotten up to 12 at one doctor visit. You could check out Good Morning America..Robin Roberts has a wig on that looks just like her real hair, of course her hair stylist made it, google wigs, I did see some nice ones...$160.00, we don't have any good wig shops around here.
    Trust me I know the feeling...I would get up in the middle of the night and check my hair, I would go to the mirror 100 times a day.. what caused your Alopecia Areata?
    How many spots do you have?
    lharrison

8. tyffanie

tyffanie Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions. As for how many spots I have, it's weird. I have like 3 on the top/back of my head that are starting to connect. Then I have 2 on my hairline were my forehead is and one more on right side of my neck. But my hair in general has gotton much thinner than it used to be. I am not sure what caused this, but I have had alot of pretty stressful stuff. My husband left me when I got pregnant. My son is 2 now, but its still a little crazy sometimes. I work a full time job and my commute is 4 hours total a day. So, I think that must be it.

I did alot of wig research yesterday and found that lace wigs are prob the best, im still not really sure. Luckily there are alot of shops in my area, so this weekend I am gonna start going around and trying stuff on. I am bringing my friend and we will do lunch, hopefully it could be fun.

I am starting to feel a little better about all this. My hair hasnt been falling out in such large noticable amounts, might be a glimmer of hope. I went out last night to an art gallery and actually felt normal after a few drinks. Tonight I am taking my son to a live nativity. I really want to get through this with confidence and dignity. This has helped so much!

9. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Guest

Hey Tyffanie,
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It can be scary and frustrating ~ like an emotional roller coaster. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction for yourself. I think it's good that you are going to go to a few local wig stores and try stuff on ~ to get a feel of what you would like. Each person is so different and there are alot of cosmetic solutions out there. You just have to find what will work for you and your lifestyle. You need to find something you will be happy and comfortable with. I've read quite a bit about lace wigs ~ they seem really natural looking and beautiful. It sounds like you are trying to stay positive and that's so important. Let us know how the wig shopping goes. If you come across any lace wigs ~ let me know what you think. Just know that you are not alone in this ~ we are all here for you!! :)
    Peace,
    MoonG