Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

NEW TOPPER-FIRST TIME QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by karmcg, Mar 25, 2014.

1. karmcg

karmcg Guest

Hi everyone! I am 38 years old, and have androgenetic alopecia. I was introduced to X-fusion about 2 years ago, and it rocked my world! When I came home from the salon, my husband thought I had a wig on. :) But, after 2 years, I've tired of constantly wiping down my forehead, being afraid of sweating it out, and the mess on the bathroom counters every day! I bit the bullet and used my birthday money to buy my first topper. I ordered it online-without ever trying one on. :( She came today-and I'm terrified. Of course, she's dark-like my natural color and I'm pretty light right now-since highlights help "fill in" the gaps in my hair. So, on Thursday, I have a hair appointment for a color and a cut-both me and topper.

Question is that when I put my topper on, I'm struggling to get it on tight. It's a Jon Renau short hh topper. I notice some of the other toppers have 6-8 clips. This one only has four. Has anyone else added more clips to theirs? Any recommendations?

Also, how do I get a part to stay in place? Maybe it's a silly question, but this sucker just will NOT move from where it's parted. Do I need to do that when it's wet?

And, can I use a brush on it? What about blow drying and styling? My natural hair is curly, so I'll be straightening my own hair before clipping her on. The good thing is I'll be going back to my natural color, which many people around me have never seen, so they'll prob notice that more than my "new hair." Also, most people don't notice my loss with x-fusion.

Thanks for help. I feel like I have so many questions on how to wear it, how to care for it, how to style it...and I don't want to wear out sweet Kathy at Gallery of Wigs.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I started out, my toppers had 4 clips. My new stylist uses 6 and that's much better. Only having 4 contributed to one of my more embarrassing topper moments. Once the hair is styled, you need to use heat or water to change the part. Spritz with water, then restyle. You don't use a brush with the usual bristles but rather one with fewer, harder bristles - hard to describe. When I got my first topper, my then stylist was nice enough to give me one. What is x fusion? I've never worked with Kathy but have read wonderful things about her and I'm sure she would be glad to answer any and all of your questions.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've added a couple of clips to my pieces and it's pretty easy to sew them on. When you say you're struggling to get it on tight, where are you having the problems; in front? on the sides?

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to Her Alopecia :grouphug: Kathy is a real sweetheart . I went down to her shop in CT in 2008 and had a ball trying wigs on .:) We have some wonderful girls here who wear toppers and will help with your questions. I have total hairloss so I only wear full wigs.

Kathy is glad to help too so no worries there.

Joann

5. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My topper has four clips and it is fine. I have a human hair piece and can change the part but the first one I got locally and was told that I could not change it. So some of them may just have permanent parts

6. karmcg

karmcg Guest

Thanks for the advice. Mine has four, and it's been interesting to get them in right. Yesterday it took me an hour and a half to get ready! ha! And I thought this would make things easier. But, I'm sure it will over time. X-fusion is like Toppix, but I like it better-keratin fibers that you shake into your hair and they stick. Pretty amazing stuff. Kathy was amazing from beginning to end! :)

Dragonfly, it's more just getting it in the right place! :) I feel crazy trying to get it in the right spot! ha! Maybe it's just me. And, as far as the clips, I think I have gotten it down better in the last two days. Feels very secure. Just trying to find enough hair to clip it to. :)

Dierdre, mine is one that can be parted, but thank you for the advice. Yes, it seems it needs to be wet to change that up. Not like my natural hair. :)

Joann-thank you for the welcome! What a blessing to be able to talk to others who are there/have been there/understand! Not just something you bring up at Bible Study group! ha! Kathy was so sweet to me. Wish I could have gone to her shop. Might have chosen the right color for me better. :) She told me a color, and I chose one color darker. My mistake! Oh well, next time...:)

7. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Which JR topper did you get ? I recently bought the additoins long mono topper, but it's synthetic. My next one will be HH. For my synthetic, it works better if the hair is wet and you part it where you want, and let it dry. You might have better luck with it on a wig head base rather than on your head. You can probably blow dry it if you want since it's HH and can take heat, but just my opinion is to only use heat styling if you have to, so you can extend the life of the hair.
    Also, I added additional clips and it really helped to make it feel more secure and made it more comfortable. I always felt like the topper was pulling on my bio hair and it was uncomfortable. Plus the topper would shift throughout the day. I added a clip on each side and on the back side. So I now have 7 clips instead of 4. I am really glad I did, it feels so much better on my head. If you know how to sew, it's easy. I don't sew so it was a pain for me, but worth it. I super glued the clips on, then sewed them as close to the rim as possible.
    Getting it on at the right spot is hard and just takes practice. I have been wearing a topper for over 2 months and still struggle with positioning.

Good luck!