Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

New Treatment For Androgenic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by DivyaJ, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I visited this forum.
    For a time I had given up on trying anything for my hair loss (I have androgenic alopecia - for 20 years now). I am 37 years old. I live in India.
    However, over the last two years (due to stress) my hair fall increased to an extent I have barely any hair left to cover the crown of my head.
    I'm always looking for some revolutionary new treatment believing that there should be a cure somewhere.
    During one such search, I came across this treatment called Rigenera Activa, which is particularly aimed at treating Androgenic Alopecia. The treatment requires just one sitting, it does not have any downtime, and they say you will have to just get it redone once a year or every two years.
    Sounds great, doesn't it?

What is the premise?
    It is based on the concept of hair transplants, but goes deeper. The premise is using a person's own progenitor cells to induce hair growth. Skin cells (like biopsies) are taken from the nape of the neck or behind a person's ear (where the cells are supposed to be most potent), they are processed in a machine where the progenitor cells are extracted. The resultant fluid is combined with a serum and injected into the person's scalp - in areas of hair loss.

The caveat is that it may not work in cases where the condition is advanced.

What does the process involve?
    It is a two-step process.
    A coin-sized part of a person's head, behind the ear is shaved. A local anesthetic is administered to this area. Simultaneously, a numbing cream is applied to the scalp (focus/hair loss area).
    1. The doctor then extracts 3mm sized skin samples (the number of samples depends on the severity of hair loss and treatment required, cost is also calculated on the basis of number of samples). These samples are processed in the Rigenera Activa machine (check this site https://www.regeneraactiva.com/en/).
    2. The resultant fluid is injected into the scalp (similar to mesotherapy).

The whole process takes no more than an hour. There will be bleeding from the location where the sample was taken. There will be some pain, but there's no downtime.

How soon the results become visible is subjective - anywhere from 1 week to 3 months (or more).

I'm at an advanced stage of androgenic alopecia (possibly Stage 3). I got this procedure done last Tuesday (12th February). I went to work almost immediately, but I couldn't wash my hair for two days and I had band aids on my scalp at the locations where the sample was taken. They took 6 samples for me - 4 from one side and 2 from the other. Despite the local anesthetic and the numbing cream, there was pain - but tolerable. I wore a head covering/band to work for 3 days - was a little distressing but my colleagues and friends were really sweet and said that the new look is great. :)

It's one week since the treatment. The doctor prescribed me some vitamins, advised a healthy lifestyle, low stress, some chemical-free shampoo, and a hair solution. I bought the vitamin supplements (basically, iron, zinc, D3, B12, etc) and started on them only this week.

I will wait and see how this goes and update you guys soon. Just the treatment (without the vitamins) cost me INR 70,000 (about US$ 978) - but costs vary from place to place so please don't take this as a standard.

Will update after 3 months (hopefully with a before and after picture).

Cautiously optimistic,
    Divya

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us posted!

3. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    hello Divya.where did you get it done

4. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Juni,

I live in India. I got it done at a clinic in Mumbai. But I don't want to mention the name of the place since I don't want to recommend them.
    I had a rather traumatic experience at the clinic. A doctor's way of handling a patient during unexpected situations says a lot about him/her and the clinic.

Best,
    Divya

5. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also from India.Thatswhy i asked.did you not try finasteride tablet.T.finasteride 5 mg helps

6. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    have you ever tried hair extensions?

7. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Juni,
    I tried Finasteride for a month or so...A while ago...But I know it has crazy side effects...So I stopped taking it.
    No, I haven't tried hair extensions.

Divya

8. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried hair extensions? My condition is so severe now that I have barely any hair on my crown. i don't think hair extensions will work for me.

Divya

9. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Divya, was it the oral finasteride that you tried? What were the side effects? Thanks! I think the topical has fewer if no side effects...

10. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    i was on t.finasteride for 3 years.no side effects except breast tenderness.you have to take finasteride for minimum 3 months to see the effect.if you do routine mammography it is quite safe.Topical does not have any sideeffects

11. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I tried oral Finasteride. Do you have a name for the topical Finasteride you used?

Divya

12. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the doctor did say I would have to take the pills for a few months to see results. However, after being told about the side effects, I just didn't want to jeopardize a (necessary) part of my body, for hair.

I only take vitamins now. Will wait and see if this treatment I underwent works.

D

13. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    minscalp F 5% solution

14. juni

juni New Member

Dislikes Received:
    keep us posted