Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Newbie! Here is my story

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by SarahVilla, Jan 31, 2013.

1. SarahVilla

SarahVilla Guest

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah and I am new to this community. I am 27 years old and was recently diagnosed with Alopecia Areata.
    I had no idea that there was anything even going on with my hair until a few months ago when a friend came over and she playing with it and found a tiny bald spot. I didn't think much of it at first, mostly because it was on a spot on my head that I couldn't see so I figured that she was probably exaggerating. A few weeks later my fiance brought it up again so when I went to go look in the mirror I totally freaked out. It was about the size of a quarter on the back of my head. I immediately went to my PC and he diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata and said that it should be fine and will grow back within about 6 months. Well here I am, about 3 months later and now that one spot is about the size of my fist and I have 3 new small spots that are balding. My hair has literally been falling out in clamps. Every time I washing it, run my fingers through it, and brush it, hands fulls come out. It used to be annoyingly thick and now it's thinning. The biggest spot did start to grow a little hair but it's more like baby hair or peach fuzz and is completely white. I have an appointment with the dermatologist scheduled but I am so scared that I will loose all of my hair. How did it start out for ya'll?

2. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome...try not to freak out yet. Wait to see what the Derm says, and you will probably want to get some blood work done. For it to be falling out so much so quickly in such a short amount of time, there is likely a trigger.
    Is the scalp on the bald spots healthy? Any irritation or anything? If not it's probably something internal so blood work will help pinpoint.
    Good luck!

3. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    HI and welcome!
    It does sound very much like Alopecia Areata. I think we all freak out when this first starts, but going to derm will give you both a proper diagnosis and you can discuss your options of treatments. Alopecia Areata is different for everyone as is the response to treatment but remember most people have full recovery and I think the fact you already have signs of regrowth is positive. The hair often comes back white and in time takes on pigment.

The initial shock of loosing handfuls of hair is very difficult to deal with. You will proberly have good days and bad days, letting out your emotions is important but try to pull yourself back mentally to being in a positive place because stress neither helps you mentally or physically. Tackle one day at a time and try not to think of the worst sinario because it may never happen. :)

Hope all goes well at the derms, keep us posted.
    Big hugs :)