Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Newbie looking for advice - Flora IF

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Blahblahblah, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair has been steadily declining for years, and got that much worse since the birth of my son. I am consumed by anxiety leaving my house, obsessively thinking about who might be looking at my head at work, looking for excuses to not go out on weekends, avoiding reflective surfaces... I am sure most of you have probably been there. I know my time has come to take the leap into supplemental hair.

I am not ready to go the route of shaving and boding, or an expensive integration system with monthly maintenance appointments, though it's likely these will be in my future. I love the idea of a topper but my loss is too diffuse and too severe for for that, so it seems like a Flora IF worn as a clip in may be the most logical choice. I'll probably contact her next week and make an appointment. I don't live in the area but feel like I need to do this in person and have someone show me what to do with it. Being that I have no clue what I am doing, what should I be considering? What are the downsides of wearing a clip in piece? How long does an average piece last? How difficult is it to take care of, particular if it's curly? Anything else I should consider, do, or not do? I am scared out of my wits; would appreciate any advice...Thank you.

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a clip in piece (topper) from Dov salon in NYC that I have had for over four years now. I wash it as little as I can get away with and don't wear it 24/7. I take care of mine myself and it is isn't hard- just scares me when it looks like a wet rat.

3. JDH

JDH Guest

I've been wearing a flora IF for almost a year now. Took me a long time to come to this. I didn't intend to get one when I first visited Flora but when she put the IF on my hair, I realized that I had no choice. I really looked like I used to many years before hair loss began. So, recommend you call, go visit and see how things goes. Flora will look at your hair and see if she has any in stock that matches. But she won't "cut it" in until you are sure you want to buy it. Downsides on a clip is some experience traction loss, which I have. But looking back, I don't regret my choise. I look at my bio hair now - diffuse all over and who hard I tried to style it, how much time it took me to get ready, using Toppik, etc, I can't imagine going back to that. It's a hard transtion - I cried a bit while visiting Flora but when I look at pictures now I smile from ear to ear. I look so much younger and now I don't think about my hair every minute of the day. And I notice to many folks say how good I look (some think I lost weight). After wearing the IF, I didn't relaize how much your hair plays a part in how old/younger you look. But u need to be ready for this - it is a big decision. Maybe if you do buy it (it's expenseive- bewtween $2500-$3500), maybe wear it to a place where you won't see folks - just get used to seeing it on you. I believe most IF last 2-3 years but I know some that have it way longer. Flora has a UTube video - you can wash yourself - it's easy enough. And you may just need a topper which is much lighter than a IF. If u get curly, think it's even easier in that you don't have to style - but Flora can walk you through all of this. Wish u all the best.

4. movingon23

movingon23 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi - I too have been wearing a Flora IF for about a year now. I actually have 2 of them. She was able to match my hair so closely when I visited her, and she put one on hold for me which I purchased several months later. I highly recommend doing this in person too. She is wonderful and will make sure you select the right hair for you. I understand what a big decision it is, but I don't regret it - it was so worth the money, and it was very therapeutic for me to meet Flora and talk to her. I am happy that I have "go to" hair when I want it and need it. For me the only downside has been that the clips bother me, but I have some pain issues going on which are making that worse. I even had a local hairdresser remove some of the weight from the fall from underneath to see if that would help. They do have a LOT of hair, and you will need to have someone local who can help you cut and style later as you might change your mind about how you want it to look once you are back home and wearing it day to day. I thought it would be a HUGE adjustment, but I went to work on a Thursday in my thin hair and went back on a Monday with my Flora, and only a few curious women said anything (things like "did you change your hair color"; "wow - you got your hair cut"). I have worn it to work ever since, but I do try to take a break from it the rest of the time. As far as care, the first wash is the scariest, but after that, it's really easy. I think her pieces can last several years. Mine still look perfect after a year. I try to wash infrequently - I have gone as long as 10-12 weeks. I hope that it works for you. Once you decide this is what you want, you really can't go wrong with Flora.

5. Pirategirl

Pirategirl Guest

Hi honey, I've been wearing my IF for 6 months and have been utterly loving it ;-) It's full and lush (see my profile pic!) and very curly, so much better than my bio hair. I agree with JDH and Movingon in that the clips are a bit of a drag so I tend to clip and unclip when I feel them pulling. I'm fairly certain that I'll get slightly more thinning around the areas where the clips are, as the Fall is quite heavy with hair. But seeing as my bio hair is so rubbish anyway, it's a compromise I'm willing to make to be able to carry around this gorgeous head of hair. Washing is fairly easy but she suggests you only do it once a month anyway, and it's still as good now as the day I bought it. I've had wigs before that disintegrate on the first wash but the quality of this is fabby. You won't know yourself once you've taken the plunge, and never forget, you're worth it! ;-)