Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Newbie With Rogaine Regrowth Question

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Paperclips, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Paperclips

Paperclips Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    I'm new here. Formerly crazy thick coarse wavy hair that has thinned dramatically over the last year; if estimate at least 50% is gone.

My bloodwork is fine and I visited two derms who confirmed my scalp looks fine as well. Possible TE or Androgenetic Alopecia, neither could say for sure.

I have been using Rogaine 5% foam for 8 weeks and am still in the dread shed.

My question is: for those that have been using Rogaine, what did regrowth look like initially? Did you notice it all over or just in certain spots?

I'll post some pix of progress, if there is any!

Thanks in advance.

2. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The first time I tried Rogaine 5%, my regrowth looked peachy, fuzzy. I noticed it mostly in the temples where, at the time, I was experiencing the most loss. The hair that grew back was never as thick or as long as the original hair, and some areas never responded to the Rogaine.

3. Paperclips

Paperclips Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info! I have seen a few tiny hairs around my hairline but I can't tell of they are from the minoxidil or just natural regrowth.

4. trip13

trip13 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'll tell you my quick story. I'm 57 years old My hair loss was gradual over years, but to the point where my temples were so thin that if I grew it past my chin it would look scraggly. Quite thin on top as well. I started Women's Rogaine Foam a year and a half ago (October 2016) and had a crazy hair fall. It was scary. I would brush my hair and the brush was full. Very scary.

I continued through this, using the foam daily. My hair started coming back, noticeably, in February. Little, tiny bristly hairs on my forehead and sideburn area. Tiny hairs in my temple and hairline. It came back with a force - my hairdresser noticed it. I had this little fringe at my hairline. It's definitely only thicker, though, in the vicinity of the rogaine application. The back of my head is the same, but I don't care.

I didn't measure anything, or take pictures - I wish I would have. I have cut back to 3x a week with the foam. When I pull my hair back off my forehead, my temples have filled in like I can't recall they ever were. My part line has improved. My ponytail, though short, is noticeably thicker. The weird bristly hair is gone (that was a worry, but it just stopped growing). I'm not a slave to everyday treatment, and if I forget, it's not the end of the world.

I hope that you have the success that I have had. Good luck!

5. Paperclips

Paperclips Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I'm seeing downy light-colored hairs at my hairline but that's it so far. I'll keep powering through.

Was your hairloss hormonally-related, do you think?

6. trip13

trip13 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would think so. My mom wore a wig from age 45, and I see my sisters' hair is thinning as well. I really noticed it around menopause (I'm post-menopause now), and my hair was soooo thin. Not just thin, but fine.
    I remember noticing that my hairline looked like a little fringe. It kept getting longer and longer. That has happened a couple of times now, and I'm surprised at how much my hair must have receded without me noticing. It has filled in at the temples as well. However, the back of my head still feels thin, so I suppose you have to apply it all over for it to work?
    I hope you have the same results as me. I'm more than pleased. And again, I'm down to applying it a couple of times a week.

7. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there! After i started rogaine, it took me a while to notice the regrowth that was happening because my dread shed was horrendous. It felt like it went on FOREVER. It started 2 weeks in, and I think started to ease off 8-10 weeks in (and it wasn’t until around week 11-12 that I allowed myself to believe that the shedding was improving). So I bet you’re on the tail end of it!

Somehow - I have zero idea how this is possible - it never actually looked worse over that time period despite the clumps of hair coming out of my head. So I think in that sense the regrowth was pretty immediate.

By week 12 I could see regrowth, and it was happening all over.. not just in certain areas. It was easiest to spot though at the very front of my hairline because I could see all this new growth popping up. Pictures made it easier to observe the regrowth.

My hair looked the best it’s ever looked by month 5-6, and that persisted for almost a year.

I am hopeful you are in prime position to start seeing regrowth + less shedding very soon. :)

8. Dseif

Dseif New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,, I’ve been using rogaine for the past 2 years,, lately I found out that I was pregnant and I was advised to immediately stop using it.. I’m worried now that my hair will start falling off.. it’s enough the postpartum hair loss phase.. did any of you stopped using minoxidil while pregnant and ur experienced plss.. thank u