Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by PCJ3, Mar 9, 2010.

1. PCJ3

PCJ3 Guest

I'm 23 years old and just got told I had alopecia areata. I have a bald spot on top of my head that my 6 year old son noticed about 2 weeks ago. I chopped it up to him being funny til my husband noticed it too that same night. I was horrified. I made several appointments and was referred to the Derm. I went for the appointment and the lady was like you have alopecia areata there is no know cause for it and no cure for it. Would you like some shots? She gave them to me and then she was gone. I had so many questions and No answers. :badmood:

So, my expience with this is... within six weeks I lost a quater size spot on top of my head and it started growing back before I saw the doctor. Is this normal to lose hair and have regrowth in 6 weeks? How many ppl actually of mild cases, I'm scared ppl with think low of me. I'm scared that my husband wouldnt' be attractive to me! he said he would be just fine but really how? I'm lost confused and can a man really love a bald women? Please help I'm so lost and just need some comfort. Sorry ladys if the post is odd i have worked a 16 hour shift and I'm tired. Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Nesi

Nesi Guest

Hi, welcome to the boards :)

Alopecia Areata is considered an autoimmune disorder and your doctor is right, there is no known cure. Usually the hair just grows back on its own. The good news is that you received regrowth so quickly!!! Yay!

(The only thing im confused about is in one part of your post you say 2 weeks ago in the other 6 weeks ago.... )

3. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

Welcome to the boards! I am sorry to hear about your alopecia! It is hard to get used to, but luckily you may get regrowth like you said. Try not to stress too hard because that can make it worse. There is a ton of great info on this site :). I hav found it so comforting and helpful, hopefully you will too :).

Oh, don't worry about your husband, j am sure he loves you just the way you are!

4. PCJ3

PCJ3 Guest

With in six weeks I lost my hair and had regrowth. But I didn't find it until 2 weeks ago when I went to the doctor. Does that make more sense?

I go my hair cut in Jan. nothing so I put a time line of 6 weeks together.

I hope that helps.

This is so hard. I wish they could figure this out. I swear this hurts more then other things I have been through. I'm so scared and so unsure of myself... I know there is worse things out there and I am thankful I will be able to be here for my kids... However.. this is taking a huge tole out of me... Is it that hard to figure it out? Okay I'm done feeling sorry for me tonight!!!!

Thanks ladies. It's nice that there is support out there and other women have had the same fears as me...