Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by Piebald, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Piebald

Piebald Guest

I am newly diagnosed and I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me answer: Firstly, what nail problems are common with Alopecia Areata, and is there anything I can do about them? Then will hair colourants make my hair fall out faster? I am a teacher, so what should I tell my second grade students? I am not ashamed of Alopecia Areata but I am a really private person and do not want the whole parent body and their children discussing my auto-immune disorder. At least not until I have come to terms with it myself! Any advice would be very welcome.

2. PCJ3

PCJ3 Guest

I am not sure exactly what problems come with Alopecia Areata and nails. I know you nails can pit and look like they have little pin dots in them. I am not sure what to tell your 2nd graders. But I would like to offer you support and welcome you. I too have Alopecia Areata and have had it since Feb 2010.

3. Piebald

Piebald Guest

Thank you PCJ3! I appreciate your welcome and advice re the nails. I hope you have a good day today :)

4. hairscared

hairscared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Piebald and welcome.
    I am sorry that your faced with all this. I am also very private about my hair loss. I have to say that people don't really notice our hair as much as I thought they did. I am now hair obsessed and notice EVERYONE'S hair!
    Luckily there is some awesome supplemental hair out there when your ready.
    I asked my hair doctor if coloring my hair would make it come out faster and she said no. I think many of us color still.
    Glad you found us as i think it will help you through the ups and downs of hairloss- I know this forum has helped me so much!
    Hugs,
    HS