Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Newly Diagnosed but calming down

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by Dark Angel, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Guest

Hi

I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata about 3 months ago and to say it was shock is an understatement.

My Alopecia Areata bald patch is about 20% of my head now (it's at the back so it can still be hidden....just), but at least I think it's stopped spreading now.

At the time I got blood tests done for any Thyroid problems and although my Alopecia Areata was found to be caused by stress (my Gran, Aunt & Sister have the same condition), the blood tests found I had a severely underactive Thyroid and it could have become serious, if gone unchecked much longer.

I can't help but wonder, as awful as my Alopecia Areata is, if I hadn't have got it I would never have though to get my Thyroid tested (as I wasn't having any serious symptoms at the time) and I don't want to think what could have happened further down the line.

Anyway I'm going for treatment in the next couple of months for injections to the bald patch, so fingers crossed.

keep Smiling. :jump:

2. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Guest

Hiya

My Sister has about 40% hair loss (in 3No patches). This is her 3rd bout. She had injections for the first 2 and it worked (full regrowth), she's going through injections for the 3rd bout now. The only hope is that, if the injections worked for her, they hopefully will work for me too.

Reading this forum has realy helped us in realising we're not alone and other people are having the same emotions.

Keep Smiling :jump:

3. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi and welcome!
    Good luck with the treatments :)