Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Newly Diagnosed.. Dealing with it for 3 years

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by jmart, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jmart

jmart Guest

Hi

I've recently been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. From the looks of some of the pics on this site possibly TE... I've been told I have female pattern baldness, then aolpecia, back and forth, nothing in my blood results that sticks out to anyone, got my thyroid checked, vitamins, full deal, everything seems normal. So frustrated with the process, I need a scalp biopsy. Does anyone know of any good dermatologist in Chicago that could possibly help me? My scalp itches, burns and hurts. I've been using rogaine and clobestol shampoo for a year (which stopped the shedding but thats about it) and my new derm gave me clobestol drops and a few injections (i dont remember what they were though). Its only been about 4 weeks since the injections, which helped with the pain a little bit, but now the burning and itching is constant (maybe i just didnt notice before because it hurt so bad). Also, does anyone know if wearing a wig would prohibit any new hair growth from coming in? Usually i wear my hair in a ponytail or spend 3 hours trying to style it so that no one can see my patchy spots.

Thanks for any help!!

Thanks

2. maddie

maddie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started experiencing hair loss 2 years ago, I researched until I found a derm that specialized in hair loss. I live in Michigan and the closest I could find was a female derm named Virginia Fiedler in Wilmette, Il. It would be a 5 1/2 hour drive for me. I called but it took almost a year to get in to see her. Maybe now it is not so long of a wait. You can google her to get more info but her ph # is 312-413-7783. Good luck and let me know if you do end up seeing her. Also, you asked about wearing a wig and it interferring with new hair growth. I don't believe that is the case. Hair can continue to grow even under a wig.

3. jmart

jmart Guest

Great! I will give anything a shot at this point! Thanks for the info! I'll keep you posted if I can get an appointment!