Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

News on histogen, replicel or follica?

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by samar2000, Dec 10, 2014.

1. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to follow any progress on histogen, follica and replicel, just to have some future hope in case my hairloss is due to Androgenetic Alopecia. Aderans seems to be out of the picture, despite having good results? No news on the other ones that I know of. Would it work on women, anybody any ideas? Anybody think any of this companies will succeed?

2. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Adreans were shut down due to financial trouble I think. Replicel and histogen are both in clinical trials but moving forward I think... Follica I have no idea... Anyway, over at hairlosstalk . com someone said that all of these "cures" are years away at best... :(

3. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    It should work for women as well or not?

4. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If a woman's hair loss is due to sensitivity to DHT, as in men's cases, I think a treatment for that will work for us. We're not good candidates for hair transplants because our hair loss tends to be diffuse, thus no stable donor site is available, so I doubt hair cloning/multiplication will help us. I guess our entire scalps become sensitive to DHT, where the top of men's scalps only seem to affected.

5. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you !

I figured it wouldn't be effective for women. The miniaturization process would start all over again , because the cloned hair in our case is still sensitive to DHT. That's a bummer, there's a cure in the future but it doesn't work for us.

6. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think women lose ALL our hair to DHT, the nape seems to be somewhat stable in the cases I've seen at least, and remember you only need 1 healthy follicle to clone hair... Sadly cloning is years, probably decades away.

7. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like it, they keep saying 5 years, but still nothing.

8. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just wish there was something, preferably topical, that people with Androgenetic Alopecia could begin using as soon as their hair loss begins that would halt the balding process. Of course we'd all like to regrow our hair, but if we could at least maintain what we have before it becomes noticeably thin, before we become dependent on supplemental hair, I'd be ecstatic. Rogaine's been around since, what, the '70s? Pathetic.

9. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    I know it's time for something new and more effective. I was reading about Aderans, it's really upsetting, they actually had something that was halting the process, if I read that right. It was better then rogaine or minoxidil. So upsetting they didn't have more financial support, don't get it.

10. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I never noticed how many women, especially middle aged and up, are suffering from hair loss--more than not, in my observations. Many I see are at a further point than I am (although I'm getting there fast), at a point where I'd be wearing supplemental hair in public, and they are smiling, chatting, etc., and I wonder, What's wrong with me? After over two-and-a-half years of major shedding every day, I just cannot accept this. I'm miserable. I've been to two dermatologists and a naturopath, with no success. The dermatologists say, "Use Rogaine." Duh! I want this DHT to stop attacking my hair follicles--Rogaine won't help with that. I got a prescription for Spironolactone from my PCP but am reluctant to try it because of possible side effects. (If my kids were older, I wouldn't worry so much about that.) Some of the guys at Hair Loss Talk say women's health issues take precedence over men's. That makes me think: Maybe we're just not speaking up. Maybe all of us with Androgenetic Alopecia should seek out dermatologists (if we haven't done so) so they'll know just how many of us are being affected by this. And at one point, I've even needed a therapist due to all the anxiety this is causing me. Some will say hair loss isn't a health issue, but for me, it's affecting my mental health, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one.

11. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the same. I'm not sure if I have Androgenetic Alopecia, but I'm almost sure and I'm mentally preparing myself for my diagnoses.
    I can't enjoy life anymore like I used too. I've dealt with a lot of issues in my life, I've always been able to mentally handle them all on my own, but this, which maybe sounds silly, I can't seem to handle it. How other women handle it so well, beats me.

12. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm mid 30's and mine bothers me every day too. I know some get no sides from Spironolactone but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of the sides I've been warned about. Looking in the mirror, most don't notice my hair loss, but I have less than half what I did as a teenager and even my early 20's when all this started and I now have a lovely bald patch on one side of the top of my temple that makes my hair sit funny and kind of square on top so I can't pull it back, I have to part it on the side and cover up. My fringe area is sparse and you can see my scalp through the hair that is there. It's devastating.