Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Nicorette gum

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by Julie1977, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Julie1977

Julie1977 Guest

causes hair loss/thinning! I've just found out and have stopped it after two months, already my shed is lower.

2. BettyG

BettyG Guest

Oh my gosh, I chew nicorette. I never thought that could be involved though... do you know what it does or why it would have that effect?

3. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    The first thing I did before quitting was look up reviews on stuff like this and across the boards, people were shedding from it. I'm pretty sure it's not the only product.

4. cwoc

cwoc Guest

Oh wow, I had never even heard of this! What do you think causes the shedding?! So crazy.

5. dijomc

dijomc Guest

ABSOLUTELY CAUSES HAIR LOSS, plus another plethora of problems. I have had hair loss before, due to chronic GI issues, never lost over 1/5 of overall hair, hardly enough to notice. I've had three major health issues in the past year, and also stopped smoking, and was using Nicorette gum (about 2 pieces daily 2mg) and noticed my hair started falling out, like a golden retriever in the spring time. I have also started having problems with my jaw and teeth, these were also side effects of using the "gum". I didn't find this out until I started having problems and went online to discover what a huge mess I was in. Now I have shaved my head, couldn't take the stress any longer, prolonging the inevitable, and just began my experience with the dentist. I have spent over five hundred dollars, just getting started, and may possibly have to have three crowns or implants and a long road ahead. I think it is despicable that Nicorette can get away without disclosing this to users. I can't prove any of this, but I am one in several hundred, that I have read about in the past few months. God bless everyone and good luck~!

6. mshistory

mshistory Guest

I wonder if the lozenges have the same effect? I used them in 2005/spring of 2006 when I quit smoking ... I don't remember abnormal shedding, but I was definitely going through a lot of stressful events too considering I had just started graduate school. Hm...I wonder if it is just something in the gum? The only ill effect I had from the products I used to quit smoking was finding out the hard way that too many sugar-free mints were NOT friendly to the tummy :$

7. HairNut

HairNut New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, nicotine accelerated my hair loss.

Just posted in this sub-section that Adderall caused my hair to fall. Nicorette/nicotine patches just made it happen faster. Ironic, because it didn't happen as badly when I was smoking (not that this is a reason to light up).

Sorry to all who have discovered this horrifying fact.

I do think I read that Nicorette blocks absorption of one of the major vitamins, but can't remember which one. If I can find that research, will post it here.

Good luck everyone.

8. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you HairNut for bringing this post back up !!! Next week I was going to begin with the patches. For the LOVE OF GOD... I think just about every other thing causes some type hairloss ... or so it seems .... I feel I'm stuck in a ditch. I'm trying so hard to do everything I can to make the inside of my body healthy as can be , giving up processed foods, fast food, eating more protein, more green veggies, gave up sugars, WAS gonna try the patch but now I'm scared of that to . Wow...Just Wow.... Thanks again
    Wishing you well
    Shannon

9. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I chewed this stuff for about 6 months many years ago! I never noticed hair loss but I was younger then and didnt pay attention like I do now. Hmmm Wonder if smoking is better? ;)

10. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Smoking is not better. According to studies smoking could be playing part in hair loss, it doesn't cause it but it could accelerate it. Smoking is also bad for teeth and gums, it's not just the Nicorette gum. I used to smoke, never used Nicorette gum, I have teeth and hair problems. My husband smoked and used nicorette gum to quit, he has nice teeth and hair.

11. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was just playing around and meant as far as shedding. My mom smoked all her life and have no hair issues. People have been smoking for many many years and everyone had great hair back then. I think its mostly environmental as for as these scalp and hair problems go.