Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Nilli's journey with 5% Rogaine foam...

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Nilli57211, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Cas

Cas Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, my shed doubled for a couple of weeks!

2. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was terrible too.. for a few months every year (was only on it three years). Always recovered though :)

3. Maelle

Maelle Guest

What is your situation now, Tori, after you went off Rogaine?

4. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not entirely sure yet. I wanted to wait and update after I had my post rogaine shed (the one it gave me yearly, I didn't get a dread shed directly after quitting). It usually happened in the Summer, but it didn't happen till later this time (a full year after quitting I think;; I quit Nov or so of 09 and my big shed came at the end of '10 sometime and lasted into the new year) so I am still recovering from that. I could jump the gun and say many things right now, but all I can say for certain is I'm recovering :) To what extent, I don't know yet.. or maybe this is it, in which case I'll update when I'm sure.

5. Maelle

Maelle Guest

I will be really looking forward to reading your update

6. Em374

Em374 Guest

@Nilli--so glad you updated and that you are seeing results and feeling positive.

7. VMmom

VMmom Guest

Tori, why did you decide to stop Rogaine?

8. luciloo

luciloo Guest

Hi I am completely new to this forum and website but am getting to the point where I am desperate. Its been great reading your story Nilli. I am currently using 2% and have been for over a year and do not see any difference. I am debating about trying Rogain foam but am very concerned about the shedding, unwanted facial hair and is it ok to use if trying for children.
    Grateful for any help and advise. I am 28 and have had this issue since I was 18 :(

9. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Hey Nilli!

Sorry i missed your update pictures before, but they are looking good! I definitely see an improvement in your part. I can totally empathise with being bad with taking the vitamins. I was regularly taking Biotin and Iron and when my hair really improved, i stopped taking them which was silly and now i've stepped them right back up along with others. How are you doing now?

10. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Hi Luciloo

I guess you have to weigh up the risk of shedding to the risk of your hair getting thinner on its own regardless. Personally i dont think i shed starting it and i havent since but plenty of other girls here have. I actually have less facial hair on rogaine than i did before but i think thats because i am taking Dianette which helps stop facial hair. As for children, i havent looked into it yet (but i should as i am thinking about starting a family) but all i know is that you shouldnt use it while on it.

11. Nilli57211

Nilli57211 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, I have no idea if anyone is around from when I used to post here, but I took a long break from this site. For the most part I found life a lot easier when I wasn't actively focused on my hair loss at all times, and it was a lot better for me just to not be here. Also, I found the environment fairly toxic as there were a lot of people here who liked to invalidate others' feelings and struggles and I didn't like that.

ANYWAY, I stopped using Rogaine about 8 years ago because at that point I saw that it was clearly not going to get me all my hair back. And I didn't feel like the improvement it gave me was worth continuing to use Rogaine and stay fixated on my hair.

But the thing is, it's always in the back of my mind. And as anyone who read the original post can see, I did assume that we were going to have stem cell treatments to get all our hair back by now, and obviously that hasn't happened. We are significantly closer to that point, but it's likely still years away. I'm encouraged that there are several companies working on this now and that we'll have at least something better in the next few years and hair cloning (which would be a full on cure even for someone who is completely bald) possibly in the next 10-15 years. But even then, those are mostly going to be targeted towards the very rich at least at the beginning. And I'm disappointed that these companies were telling us in 2010 that they would have something out on the market in the next five years and now here we are in 2020 with Rogaine still being our best option.

So anyway, to make a long story short, I started 5% Rogaine foam again last night. I did get decent results with it the first time around. I didn't get my thick hair back, but I did at least get it to a point where I wasn't self-conscious about my bare scalp anymore. Of course, now I'm 35, compared to the 25 that I was when I first started, so it's possible that I wouldn't get the same results this time around. But I think it's worth it to try anyway. I really hope that they come out with something that can actually get me my real hair back in the next few years, but I figure this is a good option in the meantime. I'll post before and after photos soon and let you know how it all goes.