Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Nizoral 2% Shed?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by ElPatoEllington, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    I recently started using Nizoral 2% twice a week to treat my SD. I had been using the 1% OTC for quite some time but found it just wasn't getting rid of the little sebum "balls" that attach themselves to the roots of my hair, which I believe might be a factor in my shedding. The 2% does seem more effective at treating the SD but every time I use it I have a considerably higher shed. It's even predictable... Each time I go to wash my hair with the 2% I know I'll be facing a massive shed. It's really disheartening but I'm torn because, like I said, it does seem to work at removing those little balls. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. mcat111

mcat111 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use 2% 3 x a week from Dr prescription and directions
    Fist few weeks I she's very short thick hairs with white gooey bulbs.
    Freaked out emailed my Dr he said when starting new hair loss treatments a shed is a good thing.
    So stuck with it. I'm on month 4 I am not sure it's helping or not I go back to Dr this week.
    I did read a study I don't know how reliable it is but it said up to 6 months hair decreases in density and then month 6 to 12 increases and continues to increase in density.
    I mean take that with a grain of salt I don't know how accurate that is.
    But I'm going to stick with it I spoke with a lot of the men on hair forum and they use it as one of the big 3 in fighting DHT.
    A very few are not happy with it but most are.

3. ElPatoEllington

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response mcat. Even though it really sucks, it's comforting to know someone else had this same experience. So are you still shedding pretty heavily? I shed probably about 110 on a daily basis and 135 when I use the Nizoral... So not a ginormous difference but a very consistent difference nonetheless. I googled some of the stuff you mentioned and there are a lot of positives out there about Nizoral. I'll probably push through and keep using it.

4. mcat111

mcat111 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am shedding not like I was in first few weeks. I think I'm going to shed for a while.
    The hair has to turn over and it's not a strong DHT fighter it's good but not strong like oral medication.
    I'm trying to research topical Spironolactone.
    I heard it smells though. I'm trying to find out if I get it at a pharmacy if they can compound it not to smell.
    I don't know if it's effective but I'm willing to try it in addition to Keto2% and I'm on fence about Minixodil.
    Their is an Italian cream coming out 2017 or 2018 that's supposed to be at least as good as minixodil but not daily and no side effects. It's called Brotzu you can google it's hard to get too much info it's still in trials. But it sounded good when i read a few articles. Their are some other stuff but that seems the soonest and least invasive.

5. ElPatoEllington

Dislikes Received:
    I was on minoxidil until May when I discontinued when I got pregnant. I wound up having a miscarriage very shortly after but I didn't bother restarting the minoxidil because it gave me such horrible itching and residue with really no noticeable benefit. I'll be keeping my eye on Brotzu. That's exciting news!

6. mcat111

mcat111 Member

Dislikes Received:

Okay updat I shed a crazy amount of short very skinny hairs in shower today
    Would not be cosmetically viable too skinny so not freaked out.
    But I really want to know why now it's like the hair is sychronizing,
    I do feel like the little bit of new growth I see looks thicker but I'm not seeing enough yet to judge.
    Going to be long few months.

I'm very sorry about your miscariage

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I shed alot with that shampoo as well. It also dried my hair out and didnt help my SD! :( Theres SLS in it as well as other harsh chemicals. I have 2% Niz cream and have used that and do not shed w/ with it (also doesnt help my SD) so i dont think its the active ingredient.

8. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use the 1% over the counter Nizoral and mix it with a moisturizing shampoo. I haven't noticed any change in shedding, and it does seem to help with the flaking I was getting from Rogaine also I see less of those sebum balls at the end of my shed hair, but I think you will always going to get some hairs that have the balls. I think it will be impossible to eliminate it altogether. I think even people with no hair loss will have some shed hair with the sebum balls.

9. ElPatoEllington

Dislikes Received:
    So probably not the ketoconazole itself then if y'all aren't having problems with the OTC/ cream? That makes sense because I never had any problems with the 1% either. I'm just gonna keep trying with it and maybe, like you said sarvnaz, cut it with a little gentler shampoo to thin it out a little? I'm glad to hear "normal haired people" get those sebum balls too. I find myself inspecting my husband's shed hairs looking for sebum balls I'm insane

And thanks for your condolences mcat! I only knew I was pregnant for a week before it happened so it wasn't as devastating for us as it is for a lot of people thank goodness